High Volume Recipes

Options
skittlebitz
skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member
I've slowly been cutting and even though I've only dropped about 50 calories this week my body seems to think it needs to eat everything in sight :# I've been doing IF for 15/9 roughly most days and that has seemed to help a bit but for those 9 hours I need some higher volume foods. Please don't say just veggies, I know that veggies are high volume! I'm the type of person who needs to feel like almost uncomfortably full when I finish eating just so I don't start snacking half an hour later. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you tried eating fish? I am cutting as well and I have been eating tilapia fillets along with oatmeal for breakfast. Those foods are high volume and keep me satiated until my next meal, as well as throughout the day. Each are low in calories too. The carbs from oatmeal and the protein from tilapia is a great way to get energy to start the day.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I second the fish idea (I like cod) and also shrimp. And eggs. Anything high in protein usually fills me up. My afternoon snack yesterday was a half cup of low fat cottage cheese and a half dozen grape tomatoes (100 calories). Sometimes I swap the tomatoes for canned beets. Aside from that, veggies is all I really got.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Water based foods, and foods with lots of air are going to be high volume.

Broth based soups.

Oatmeal can be made using more water: http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/rise-and-dine-growing-oatmeal-bowl-recipe

Air-popped popcorn.

Honestly, instead of just focusing on volume you might focus on macros instead. Protein, fat, and fiber are satiating. BUT, the filling combination of those 3 things won't be the same for everyone. Some people can stay full on fat-free fiber (aka veggies, veggies, veggies, this does not work for me). Some people can stay full on fat-free protein (again not me). Find the thing, or the combination that works for you.

I make oatmeal with milk (protein) and add nuts (fat) .....carbs alone don't keep me full.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm the type of person who needs to feel like almost uncomfortably full when I finish eating just so I don't start snacking half an hour later. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I get this too. Broth or low calorie soups, lots of lean protein, popcorn, oranges, big servings of berries, roasted potatoes, and oatmeal are some specific foods that usually help me feel that full feeling. I also try to drink water or coffee with my meals to get full.

An ounce of smoked or spicy peanuts, a glass of vanilla soy milk, or a serving of dark chocolate chips can help me get to the next meal when I want to snack.

Coffee till 4 pm and staying on my feet helps me forget my appetite.

Something really sweet and small after dinner keeps me from eating late at night.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This is a good idea. I do this with rice and quinoa as well. Add extra water and they will absorb it, giving you a higher volume for the same amount of calories. Mix with beans, veggies, lean protein such as shrimp or chicken and salsa for a filling burrito bowl. Also, if you are looking for specific recipes, here are two of my favorites that I find to be really satisfying for the calorie amounts:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-eggplant-parmesan-boats-with/

http://www.skinnytaste.com/quinoa-and-spinach-patties/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cobb-salad-recipe0.html (or any versionmof classic cobb salad)
  • skittlebitz
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Oatmeal can be made using more water: http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/rise-and-dine-growing-oatmeal-bowl-recipe

Honestly, instead of just focusing on volume you might focus on macros instead. Protein, fat, and fiber are satiating. BUT, the filling combination of those 3 things won't be the same for everyone. Some people can stay full on fat-free fiber (aka veggies, veggies, veggies, this does not work for me). Some people can stay full on fat-free protein (again not me). Find the thing, or the combination that works for you.
    Good Idea to add more water, I'm gonna have to do this from now on! I have oatmeal every day. I've been tracking my macros for years and honestly there isn't one combo that satisfies me any more than the other, all about the volume! Thanks though for all the input!
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How about Vietnamese vermicelli bowls? I made one the other day for about 500 calories that barely fit in a quart size bowl. The key is that you take up so much volume with lettuce, cucumbers, sprouts, carrot and daikon pickles.
  • skittlebitz
    Options
    If vegetables weren't so overpriced up here in Canada in the winter I would make a lot more salads!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hi buddy! I'm a very high volume eater. My diary is closed at the moment but I'll give you the password if you want.

So there are a few things I do to get very high volume.
    -Salads. If I eat a salad I'm eating almost 200grams of lettuce/greens. That's an entire "bag" or box. I try to get my lunch salad to be around 200-250 calories, with at least 25g of protein. Right now they are 56g of tuna in water, 100g of pepper, 28g of pepperoncini, 1 laughing cow wedge, 7g of nutritional yeast, 2-4 tablespoons of chipotle sauce (10 calories!). It's nothing fancy, but it's filling, large, spicy, cheesy, and only 230 calories. You can swap out the protein easily, or add more.
    -I try not to get all my macros in one food. So for example, instead of whole eggs (2 for 140 calories), I'll do 140-200 calories worth of egg whites which is MUCH more food, then I can add avocado. Now I'm getting my fat from another food source, instead of just one, which is more satisfying to me. Bulk up scrambles with another 200-400g of veg (squash, zucchini, peppers, broccoli)
    -Shirataki Noodles. Period. Message me if you are interested and want to know how to cook them properly.
    -Popcorn (air popped or popped in a brown paper bag in the microwave)
    -Get over it and make Arctic Zero your friend
    -If you want oats, make them Zoats (bulked up with grated zucchini)
    -Lean meats, low fat dairy

Just a few tips.
  • skittlebitz
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hi buddy! I'm a very high volume eater. My diary is closed at the moment but I'll give you the password if you want.

So there are a few things I do to get very high volume.
    -Salads. If I eat a salad I'm eating almost 200grams of lettuce/greens. That's an entire "bag" or box. I try to get my lunch salad to be around 200-250 calories, with at least 25g of protein. Right now they are 56g of tuna in water, 100g of pepper, 28g of pepperoncini, 1 laughing cow wedge, 7g of nutritional yeast, 2-4 tablespoons of chipotle sauce (10 calories!). It's nothing fancy, but it's filling, large, spicy, cheesy, and only 230 calories. You can swap out the protein easily, or add more.
    -I try not to get all my macros in one food. So for example, instead of whole eggs (2 for 140 calories), I'll do 140-200 calories worth of egg whites which is MUCH more food, then I can add avocado. Now I'm getting my fat from another food source, instead of just one, which is more satisfying to me. Bulk up scrambles with another 200-400g of veg (squash, zucchini, peppers, broccoli)
    -Shirataki Noodles. Period. Message me if you are interested and want to know how to cook them properly.
    -Popcorn (air popped or popped in a brown paper bag in the microwave)
    -Get over it and make Arctic Zero your friend
    -If you want oats, make them Zoats (bulked up with grated zucchini)
    -Lean meats, low fat dairy

Just a few tips.

Thanks so much for the ideas! That salad sounds amazing, might have to add some of those things to my next grocery trip! I've never seen shirataki noodles or arctic zero in Canada unfortunately... yet. I hope they bring it soon though! I would make zoats but the price of zuchinni up here is ridiculous in the winter. Like close to 4.00 a pound :s I'll be doing that in the summer though when I will have my own garden! The password to your diary would be fantastic! Thanks so much! :)