2»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Roza42 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No, the idea that some people can't digest protein (other than gluten) is a myth.

The more likely reason is a lactose intolerance and having consumed whey.
    No. There are a lot of reasons that people can't tolerate certain proteins. I turn bright red within 20 minutes of consuming dairy, but when I was younger I would get hives sometimes a couple of hours later. That and whey doesn't contain lactose.

whey absolutely contains lactose.

Only isolated whey contains a low amount of lactose. I know because i'm lactose intolerant.

And turning bright red? Are you talking about an allergy? We are talking about digestive issues. Proteins are made up of 22 amino acids. These amino acids are also found in all sorts of food from veggies, to nuts, to grains, legumes, fish, meats, etc. The idea that one could be intolerant to "protein" makes no sense because then you wouldn't be able to eat literally anything.

For people who have lactose intolerance (which most people are, and the tolerance levels vary), common signs are gas, bloating, skin issues, and GI issues. I had problems with this for years drinking whey protein and eating protein bars. I could eat yogurt and certain cheeses with zero issues. I can even eat certain dairy foods in small amounts and never, ever, ever, thought my problem was dairy. I was wrong after eliminating it and re-introducing it, my symptoms were very clear.

P.S. I'm a lifelong vegetarian, lactose intolerant, and previously was convinced my body "couldn't digest protein" because "i've never eaten meat my entire life". Nope, not true. I was really just having issues with lactose (which is a sugar commonly contained with "protein" supplements).

To the OP, yes, try another kind. Like an isolated whey, a casein protein, a rice protein, a hemp protein, pea protein, even a soy protein might help. Alternatively, you can just eat higher protein foods without supplementing if these cause you problems.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When you have a chance, take a look at the protein powder you have and see what the primary protein source is. Often people have trouble with whey; I avoid dairy, but I can't have soy-based powders, either, since I've developed an intolerance over the past few years.

I use Orgain and it's great - it's based on pea-protein and another type of plant-based protein I can't recall off the top of my head. It blends very well (it's not gritty like a lot of plant-based protein powders), tastes great, and isn't unreasonable. I really like blending it with almond or cashew milk, myself. There's also a brand called Aloha that I really liked, but fair warning - it runs on a subscription system thing (although you can always set it to refill at a different date). I sorta preferred Aloha to Orgain, but Orgain is a bit less expensive and easier to find.

Good luck! :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    No, the idea that some people can't digest protein (other than gluten) is a myth.

The more likely reason is a lactose intolerance and having consumed whey.
    No. There are a lot of reasons that people can't tolerate certain proteins. I turn bright red within 20 minutes of consuming dairy, but when I was younger I would get hives sometimes a couple of hours later. That and whey doesn't contain lactose.

Only isolated whey contains a low amount of lactose. I know because i'm lactose intolerant.

And turning bright red? Are you talking about an allergy? We are talking about digestive issues. Proteins are made up of 22 amino acids. These amino acids are also found in all sorts of food from veggies, to nuts, to grains, legumes, fish, meats, etc. The idea that one could be intolerant to "protein" makes no sense because then you wouldn't be able to eat literally anything.

For people who have lactose intolerance (which most people are, and the tolerance levels vary), common signs are gas, bloating, skin issues, and GI issues. I had problems with this for years drinking whey protein and eating protein bars. I could eat yogurt and certain cheeses with zero issues. I can even eat certain dairy foods in small amounts and never, ever, ever, thought my problem was dairy. I was wrong after eliminating it and re-introducing it, my symptoms were very clear.

P.S. I'm a lifelong vegetarian, lactose intolerant, and previously was convinced my body "couldn't digest protein" because "i've never eaten meat my entire life". Nope, not true. I was really just having issues with lactose (which is a sugar commonly contained with "protein" supplements).

To the OP, yes, try another kind. Like an isolated whey, a casein protein, a rice protein, a hemp protein, pea protein, even a soy protein might help. Alternatively, you can just eat higher protein foods without supplementing if these cause you problems.

I agree, try different types of protein.

But I'm also lactose intolerant and tolerate whey just fine. Cheese is the worst for me though, so possibly it's not lactose so much as some other dairy thing that's in cheese. Just mean to say for the OP, they may tolerate dairy foods just fine but have an intolerance to whey.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

My bad. The usda listed it incorrectly (protein beverage powder) https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

And turning bright red? Are you talking about an allergy?
    Yes I have an allergy. However, there are plenty of proteins that can cause people issues besides gluten. As far as gluten allergies go, it may be gluten or gliadin or any number of other proteins in wheat. Why can't people tolerate soy? It's usually the protein. Cow milk, soybean, and eggs are just the top three for protein intolerances.

Finally the OP didn't mention gas, bloating, etc. Just that it made her sick to her stomach and was hard to digest. Back when I used to drink milk once in awhile, I quit because the last time I drank a milk based product I tossed it up on the sidewalk. I was only eating yogurt and cheeses.

Protein powder, I like Sunwarrior's Warrior Blend Chocolate which is a mix of pea protein, hemp protein, and goji berry. It smells divine. I don't like the vanilla though. I also get Orgain Chocolate as it blends easier.

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying a non-dairy protein - perhaps you are sensitive to dairy?

I really like Vega Protein and Greens, its pea protein, sacha inchi (mountain peanut) protein, hemp seed protein, sprouted whole grain brown rice protein.

I use this one too, or their choc a lot smoothie powder. Both are easy on the stomach and whey/soy free.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    there is also hemp protein,beef protein powder(yes it exists),rice and egg protein powders out there.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

My bad. The usda listed it incorrectly (protein beverage powder) https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Looks like all the whey I consume is isolated whey. In the ingredients listed (even where they break down the isolated whey) they don't list lactose at all. So I guess that's why I tolerate it just fine.
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Soy protein really bothers my GI system but I can tolerate whey. I think you're just going to have to try one type for a while and see how you feel.
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Danimri84 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a protein powder to add to my occasional smoothies and such. But the problem is, I've tried several and they make me violently sick to my stomach. A friend told me some people don't digest the protein well, or have a sensitivity to it when in concentrated form. Is there any truth in that? Does anyone know of a powder that is easier to digest/easier on the stomach? Google hasn't returned a lot of information for me. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!

I've tried a lot. Try musclepharm
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the protein powder had artificial sweeteners. Some artificial sweeteners upset my stomach terribly. Especially acesulfame potassium.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with straight up whey concentrate. But am fine with Isolate and casein.
  • Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue couple years ago, I just got told to drink loads of water every day whilst taking it and it sorted my problem.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Whey seemed to upset my stomach too, so I've been using Naturade Pea Protein that I buy on Amazon. Don't worry- it doesn't taste like peas ;) (I actually buy the vanilla flavor.)
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying a non-dairy protein - perhaps you are sensitive to dairy?

I really like Vega Protein and Greens, its pea protein, sacha inchi (mountain peanut) protein, hemp seed protein, sprouted whole grain brown rice protein.
    I am a vegan so I tried soy protein powders for years but it jus never settled well with me. I now use a pumpkin seed protein powder. It's pretty tasteless so I am able to put it not just my smoothies but also in soups and pancake batter. No complaints so far. I use the "Omega Nutrition" brand. Here is a link that includes all the nutritional information too
    http://www.omeganutrition.com/pumpkin-protein-powder-21-oz-epppp021
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The only one I can stomach is the Jarrow Unflavored Whey. It's really mild tasting and no "off" flavor, no sweeteners, no nothing, put it in a smoothie with some yogurt and fruit and it fluffs it up but doesn't really add taste.

The soy ones, any flavored ones, none of them worked for me, they caused nausea. This one doesn't.

It may be that you just can't handle heavy protein all at once, or that you have trouble with milk or soy or nuts or the flavors, like I did. There isn't any reason you can't be healthy eating food, just food, protein powders aren't a food group.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Could be the artificial sweeteners.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    The only one I can stomach is the Jarrow Unflavored Whey. It's really mild tasting and no "off" flavor, no sweeteners, no nothing, put it in a smoothie with some yogurt and fruit and it fluffs it up but doesn't really add taste.

The soy ones, any flavored ones, none of them worked for me, they caused nausea. This one doesn't.

It may be that you just can't handle heavy protein all at once, or that you have trouble with milk or soy or nuts or the flavors, like I did. There isn't any reason you can't be healthy eating food, just food, protein powders aren't a food group.

I switched to unflavored whey isolate a long time back. I have no issues with the flavored ones, or even the artificial sweeteners, but when I get a flavored protein powder I am limited to what I can do with that flavor. With unflavored I can add whatever flavors I want or use in when cooking without that specific flavor limitation.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use MaxMuscle whey protein. And no problems
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan, gluten free brand called VEGA..have had no issues with it, and I usually have stomach issues with everything.