Anyone with PCOS?

Options
Would love to meet and make friends with other woman who struggle with PCOS symptoms. Maybe share diet and exercise tips along with just offering moral support. Add me :)

Replies

• smurphy90
    smurphy90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I just sent you a friend request.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS one year ago (and finally got an ultrasound today, to confirm it). I'm still struggling to lose weight, despite medications that should help (Metformin). I've noticed all of the PCOS groups on MFP are pretty inactive, so I'd love more friend to talk to who are going through it.
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there, same story here. I've been on Metformin for 3 months and the weight isn't budging.
  • wilsonkelsey08
    wilsonkelsey08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there been diagnosed for 8 years! Love to chat with some of you. I recently found his app thanks to my ob, she wants me to start working on nutrition and exercise .
  • cadencegirl1992
    cadencegirl1992 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am 23 and have been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 15 years old. I want to loose weight and encourage others to feel healthier about themselves. Over a year ago, I was 300 lbs, and now I am at 284. My goal is at least 240 lbs. I have made some changes slowly over the past year and increased it within the past 3 months. This is when I really noticed changes and now have the motivation back to continue with it. Please feel free to contact me if you want to know more.
    Back to the topic of Metformin:

One of the meds my OBGYN tried me on was metformin and for me, it didn't help me loose weight, it gave me horrific migraines that wouldn't go away. I was on the drug for more than 6 months before I decided the migraines weren't worth it when I was showing no progress.

Some people with PCOS have had successes with it, but the drug was developed mainly for people trying to treat type 2 diabetes. (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11285-7061/metformin-oral/metformin-oral/details)

Metformin isn't a drug that is designed to help you loose weight. Due to the fact that it has been known to help treat PCOS symptoms, many doctors try it first or at some time because it's a common drug, easy to find, and typically inexpensive under most health insurances. It can take time, that drug isn't going to show progress rapidly, it will be slow and gradual if it will happen. I have tried different meds and so far haven't had any success. Everyone is different. If you are not seeing the results you want, I suggest going back to the doctor and seeing if they can increase the dosage, pair with another med, etc.

Good Luck! Please let me know if I can be of any help or encouragement!!
  • MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 14yrs old, but didn't start experiencing the weight gain symptoms until I was about 18-19yrs old. I was on Metformin, but it wasn't helping, so I saw another doctor who put me on birth control since apparently Metformin isn't really used anymore for PCOS. Now that I am on meds that are working for me I decided to join MFP 3wks ago and have lost 6lbs so far. Since the meds are working I am trying to lose another 60lbs by the end of the year so my husband and I can start trying to have children!

Feel free to add me. I have an open diary and I am on here daily :)
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    TheOriginalBeauty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and i'm doing the 5:2 diet, I'm down 8 kilos (17lbs) in 6 weeks :)
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes I have it too and I feel like the main thing that helps is when I actually stay active and do my weekly cardio, If I do slack off then my symptoms start becoming more noticeable.

Add me and we can be friends.
  • Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had it for 3 years. Later on my periods became normal. But now. I think I am having it back again. So. Going to have ultrasound in 2 weeks may be. Hope its not back again. Thank you.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and i'm doing the 5:2 diet, I'm down 8 kilos (17lbs) in 6 weeks :)