nutritionist

Options
markswife1992
markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
i am on seroquel (starting yesterday)
and last time i took it, i gained about 40 pounds. i have lost about 14 of those pounds, but starting back on seroquel, i know i am doomed if i can't gain control very very quickly. my psychiatrist told me to see a nutritionist, so i was just wondering if anyone has done this (our insurance doesn't cover it, so it will be out-of-pocket) and were there benefits? are they just going to tell me to eat more veggies and less fried foods (because i already know that LOL) -

and please, anyone who might say, "if you eat right you won't gain weight, even on seroquel" please save your comments. there are many schools of thought on that subject, and some scientific evidence that taking seroquel, or the like, can cause weight gain in those who continue with the same healthy diet/exercise regime. thanks.

:smile:

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your family doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian? Most insurance companies will cover this.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd see an RD, not a nutritionist. Anyone can be a nutritionist.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    and last time i took it, i gained about 40 pounds. i have lost about 14 of those pounds, but starting back on seroquel, i know i am doomed if i can't gain control very very quickly. my psychiatrist told me to see a nutritionist, so i was just wondering if anyone has done this (our insurance doesn't cover it, so it will be out-of-pocket) and were there benefits? are they just going to tell me to eat more veggies and less fried foods (because i already know that LOL) -

and please, anyone who might say, "if you eat right you won't gain weight, even on seroquel" please save your comments. there are many schools of thought on that subject, and some scientific evidence that taking seroquel, or the like, can cause weight gain in those who continue with the same healthy diet/exercise regime. thanks.

But... OP... the answer regardless will be less caloric intake. Whatever a nutritionist will tell you will boil down to this, but be peppered with information in regards to macros (protein/fat/carbs). Some medication makes weight gain easier, but if your metabolism has slowed then you don't need those extra calories (as it's just storing them as fat). It's not fair or easy, but that's really the only answer you can get.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

But... OP... the answer regardless will be less caloric intake. Whatever a nutritionist will tell you will boil down to this, but be peppered with information in regards to macros (protein/fat/carbs). Some medication makes weight gain easier, but if your metabolism has slowed then you don't need those extra calories (as it's just storing them as fat). It's not fair or easy, but that's really the only answer you can get.

when i gained before, my CICO remained the same. that is, i was exercising the same, had the same macros, same calories as before i started Sero, and I gained 40 lbs. so it's not really about CICO, and if my metabolism slowed, how can i track/control that?

my main question is, what does a nutritionist tell you? how to eat, what foods to consume, which to avoid, how many calories are required, etc. ?

also to fromnebraska, what is an RD?
  • markswife1992
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Can you ask your family doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian? Most insurance companies will cover this.

our insurance doesn't cover nutritionists or dieticians.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    and RD is a registered dietitian and will know more than a nutritionist. some nutritionist dont even have to be licensed in certain states in the US to practice, which is astonishing to me. its still about CICO you will just have to eat less than you did the last time before the meds. you could work out more and create a bigger deficit but not sure how well that would work either.some meds will lower your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight so you are going to have to be more accurate with your intake(weighing everything on a food scale may help)
  • LazSommer
    Options

when i gained before, my CICO remained the same. that is, i was exercising the same, had the same macros, same calories as before i started Sero, and I gained 40 lbs. so it's not really about CICO, and if my metabolism slowed, how can i track/control that?

my main question is, what does a nutritionist tell you? how to eat, what foods to consume, which to avoid, how many calories are required, etc. ?

That was my point - your CICO stayed the same, but your body didn't use them. I don't honestly know how you're going to figure that out exactly, but if you gained 40 lbs eating the same exact calories before (assuming you're weighing your food here), multiply the number of lbs you gained (40) by number of cals in a pound (3500) and divide that number by the number of days it took you to gain 40lbs. There is the number of calories you could have subtracted from your diet to stay at the same weight.
  • markswife1992
    Options

That was my point - your CICO stayed the same, but your body didn't use them. I don't honestly know how you're going to figure that out exactly, but if you gained 40 lbs eating the same exact calories before (assuming you're weighing your food here), multiply the number of lbs you gained (40) by number of cals in a pound (3500) and divide that number by the number of days it took you to gain 40lbs. There is the number of calories you could have subtracted from your diet to stay at the same weight.

i gained that weight really fast. i would say within a month, i had already gained 20 lbs. it would likely be impossible at this point to figure-out exactly how much in what time period (it was last summer)
    i quit sero because my cholesterol went through the roof but i really have no choice at this point (mentally)

i do weigh/measure everything very carefully, i have a food scale and keep track. i belong to a gym and have a treadclimber at home. the problem is with sero, there is ZERO energy so it's much more difficult to stay motivated. but i am doing it. :smile:

thanks for the input. i will do some research on metabolism.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    and RD is a registered dietitian and will know more than a nutritionist. some nutritionist dont even have to be licensed in certain states in the US to practice, which is astonishing to me. its still about CICO you will just have to eat less than you did the last time before the meds. you could work out more and create a bigger deficit but not sure how well that would work either.some meds will lower your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight so you are going to have to be more accurate with your intake(weighing everything on a food scale may help)

yes that is strange not to have some guidelines and certifications. i did try to find a dietitian but our ins doesn't cover it with a co-pay. i would be out-of-pocket. might have to do it anyway. :/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    just be wary of anything that tells you that you can jumpstart or reset metabolism as those things are full of woo and not true. if anything claims those things move on from that info
  • LazSommer
    Options

i gained that weight really fast. i would say within a month, i had already gained 20 lbs. it would likely be impossible at this point to figure-out exactly how much in what time period (it was last summer)
    i quit sero because my cholesterol went through the roof but i really have no choice at this point (mentally)

i do weigh/measure everything very carefully, i have a food scale and keep track. i belong to a gym and have a treadclimber at home. the problem is with sero, there is ZERO energy so it's much more difficult to stay motivated. but i am doing it. :smile:

Good luck, that's a rough situation.
  • markswife1992
    Options

Good luck, that's a rough situation.

THANKS. i know there are people who dont' believe me when i say that weight packed-on with a simple change of meds. but i lost about 16 lbs right away after stopping, and i have met others who have the same experiences where they either don't change their eating habits, OR they reduce calories and still gain. i do believe there is some science behind the change of body chemistry to make for weight gain.

sometimes my mental health has to come before my weight. :'(
  • markswife1992
    Options
    just be wary of anything that tells you that you can jumpstart or reset metabolism as those things are full of woo and not true. if anything claims those things move on from that info

oK
    thank you for your input today :)
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Weight gain/loss all comes down to calories in vs. calories out - you know that. The problem with this drug, as I understand it, is the increase in appetite. IMO, you need to concentrate on two things - one eat a diet rich in protein and fats (satiety value) and two, have lots of low calorie treats to munch on when you get hungry (veggies, lower glycemic fruits, etc.). One of my favs is peanut butter on an apple. You can get this under control now. Good luck!
  • _qO_op_
    _qO_op_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you. Just checking in to say I feel the pain of weight loss on an atypical antipsychotic. I ballooned up big time when I started on Risperdal and have been fighting to take it off ever since. Luckily I'm off that and on Latuda instead which seems to be making it easier.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Most meds like these do cause weight gain. All I could suggest is cutting calories and adding more exercise. Maybe try different medications to find one that works and causes less weight gain?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    @markswife1992 I'm on seroquel (2nd time) and I gained 50 pounds (again) It's taken me 9 months to lose 18 of them. It totally sucks like the choice between sanity and thin.
    I go to a doctor that specializes in weight loss affiliated with the local hospital. He has put me on a low carb diet that's helpful for people like us. Seroquel has also made me prediabetic and we've talked about me going on a drug for diabetes that could help with weight loss since i can't take anything with phentermine or antidepressants in it and seroquel really messes with the metabolism. I'm going to find out on the 18th.

For all of you who say CICO, it's really not that simple with this medication. I ate 800-1000 calories a day under dr's supervision and worked out with a trainer and didn't lose a thing the last time I took this drug. It really messes with metabolic processes which is why I've had to go low carb this time and exercise more than I've ever in my life to lose weight at a depressingly slow pace. It's a great medication which is why so many of us reluctantly stay or go back to it, and most of the alternatives in this class have similar side effects.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. You don't want to hear this but it is CICO, calories in and calories out. Not accounting for things such as water retention potentially causing increased scale weight. You say that you have no energy on the medication, that right there tells me you have a lot less NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) which would impact your calories out. So if your calories in remain unchanged, but calories out go down, you'll gain weight for sure.

I second everyone who said try to find a registered dietician not a nutritionist as in a lot of places anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

I'm not a medical professional so take what you want from this but the best advice I can think of is try to do some low intensity exercise to help keep your calories out as elevated as possible without stressing your body more than necessary, because I'm assuming this medication will be stressful on your system already. Go for a walk, look for any option to increase activity through the day. Park at the far end of a parking lot, take stairs vs. elevators, etc. You'll want to reduce your calories in to account for the reduction in calories out that you will likely experience on the medication. Focus your diet on whole foods because they'll give you the best satiety for calories. When I'm cutting I eat a LOT of veggies to help keep myself feeling full, so if hunger will be a problem for you this will probably be beneficial to you when you go on this medication as well.

Good luck, I hope you manage to maintain your weight when you go on.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Weight gain/loss all comes down to calories in vs. calories out - you know that. The problem with this drug, as I understand it, is the increase in appetite. IMO, you need to concentrate on two things - one eat a diet rich in protein and fats (satiety value) and two, have lots of low calorie treats to munch on when you get hungry (veggies, lower glycemic fruits, etc.). One of my favs is peanut butter on an apple. You can get this under control now. Good luck!

actually, that's not quite the case. even when people did NOT eat any extra calories as compared to before they were on sero, they STILL gained weight. in about 7% of people (apparently i am one) there is no known cause of weight gain.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you. Just checking in to say I feel the pain of weight loss on an atypical antipsychotic. I ballooned up big time when I started on Risperdal and have been fighting to take it off ever since. Luckily I'm off that and on Latuda instead which seems to be making it easier.

i just tried latuda in lieu of the sero, but it did absolutely nothing for me, so i had to switch back to sero. i'm really glad you found something that works for you! :smile: