Preventing a sore "Spin Bum"?

Options
I'm doing my first Spin class this weekend and I've heard stories about how hard is it on your gluteal region. I don't have a gel overlay for my seat, and I'm not going to invest in padded shorts unless I know I actually like the workout... so any tips on how to make class as comfortable as possible? (And is the pain really as bad as I've heard? lol.)

Replies

• Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bicycle shorts will definitely help a lot. I know you wanted to avoid an investment but compared to the pain it may be well worth it. Check out performance bicycle online, they have great sales often on them. Oh, and do not wear panties under your cycling shorts, will make things worse.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    They may have the gel covers already available. I bought and used my own for a bit, but the padded shorts are a lot better.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I spin once a week and have never experienced the kind of pain you describe. Be very prepared for muscle pains in the legs though, there's nothing you can do to avoid that. If you are worried invest in some padded shorts, its only 45 mins seated maximum (half the time you'll be off the seat) I'm sure you sit longer than that in the office.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You should be okay for a class. I would advise against a seat cover as they slip around causing more friction on your bum. If you like the class and continue to go, invest in some cycling undies (cheaper than an actual chamois) to wear under your shorts. They have them at REI for about $20. Honestly, if you continue to take spinning, or do any cycling, your butt will just toughen up eventually.

• AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Having the spin cycle set up appropriately will help a lot in the comfort department. I think most people who say they can't ride bikes or spin because it hurts too much are just riding poorly fitted bikes.

That being said, I know my seat bones are always a little tender the first week or two of riding again. I usually rotate heavily through my various thicknesses of bike shorts (I hate thick chamois but they do help early on). A little Body Glide or Chamois Butter can help, too.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You need the full marathon biker outfit, including the mirror to put on the side handlebar.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    once you make it through the first handful of classes you wont even notice it anymore :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I put a gel seat over the bike seat. Never had an issue. :blush:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between being hard on the glutes and chafing your bum. I take a spin class once a week, in addition to logging other bike time as well. I do not pull out the bike shorts unless I am going 25+ miles, and have never had a problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You may get a slight feeling of bruising on your "sit bones" as it's new for you but really it's no big deal - don't fear something you haven't even tried yet. You will acclimatise very quickly.

"Butt" do ask advice on getting the bike set up properly - I see the most appalling set ups (mostly seat height far too low) that could cause injury let alone being uncomfortable. Either research it or ask the instructor - make a note of your settings for next time.

If you do like it and continue then cycle shorts (or a liner) would be the way to go. For the short duration of a class they don't have to be top of the range or expensive. I really don't like the idea of seat covers.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of indoor biking, but I live on my bike in the non-winter months. First week or so you're going to have some bruising on the parts that contact the seat...how much it hurts depends on the person. My guess would be that the DOMS from the rest of the workout is going to be a lot worse than the bruising. As with anything, don't go all-out the first few workouts -- you'll be sore enough just from the new movement patterns. Oh, and if your leg strength is up to it, don't go putting most of your weight on the seat -- carry as much as possible on your legs...this will reduce the bruising a lot (and the next couple of times, when you are bruised, it will cut down on the pain of it).
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    once you make it through the first handful of classes you wont even notice it anymore :)

This. I did spin for a while when I couldn't run due to an injury. It DID hurt after the first two classes but after than it was negligible. I did it for several months, 2-3 times a week with no extra padding.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was pretty sore after spin classes the first few times I went, but I ended up not enjoying it too much, so I was glad I didn't bother with an investment. It wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but I definitely wasn't used to tenderness in that area!
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just suck it up and deal with it generally. Or if your gym is like mine, some of the bike seats have more padding than others. Try for one of those.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't get a gel pad, the saddles on many spinning bikes are already wider than they should be and the gel pad only makes things worse.

Have the instructor take a few moments to set up the bike for you and that should go a long way towards alleviating any discomfort but it is not unusual for there to a short time while your sit bones acclimate.......
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Gel seats and padded shorts are unnecessary. The soreness goes away after 2-3 classes, and it's really not so bad.

If you're going to go regularly you should get some spin shoes; they make a big difference.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Set the bicycle up correctly ... and stand frequently.

Personally, I do wear lightly padded shorts because I'm a cyclist and have a whole collection of the things.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I did spin for a few months and the pain wasn't anything unbearable. It also goes away after a few rides.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I used to put a gel seat over my seat and liked that set up. Even without it, though, the pain in that area was not pain, it was soreness, and nothing very bad. Now I don't use anything and never have pain.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Okay I thought someone would say it by now

Commando is best-under bike shorts especially
    Avoid anything that could rub and chafe