Morning weigh ins...

Options
I'm not gonna be able to do the morning weigh in, as I've said i hold MASSIVE amounts of water in the AM... So i'm considering changing my weigh time to maybe like before dinner but I'm un sure of how long it'll take for my tank to be empty...

Any suggestions or advice on this?

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh at the same time everyday it doesn't matter which time you weigh. If you hold water every morning then it should still show a loss :)
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yeah but when i say i retain water, it's actually really sever in the am, swollen tight hands, feeling puffy all over ect..
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    And it's not like consistently i hold a certain amount, some days are better than others
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna be able to do the morning weigh in, as I've said i hold MASSIVE amounts of water in the AM... So i'm considering changing my weigh time to maybe like before dinner but I'm un sure of how long it'll take for my tank to be empty...

Massive amounts of water that you drink, or water that you need to pee out? If it's the drink ... just weigh yourself before you drink it. If it's the other one, take a leak and then weight yourself right after. If you take a diuretic, weigh yourself before you take it.

But really, it doesn't matter when you weigh yourself ... what's important that if you are comparing one day to another then the weigh-ins are best to be taken at the same time, with the same amount/type of clothing on.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about excessive swelling in the am, this could be a sign of something more serious.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    As long as you weigh at the same time everyday it doesn't matter which time you weigh. If you hold water every morning then it should still show a loss :)

This. You are looking at your weight relative to the last weigh-in, not your absolute weight. By that I mean:

Example A
    6 am weigh-in when you retain water
    Week 1 200 pounds
    Week 2 198 pounds
    Weight lost between weeks 2 and 1 = 2 pounds

Example B
    6 pm weigh-in when *not* retaining water
    Week 1 195 pounds
    Week 2 193 pounds
    Weight lost between weeks 2 and 1 = 2 pounds

The problem with weighing later in the day is that you can't control for non-water retention weight gain as easily. By that I mean that from week to week, you may be eating different foods or volumes of food on weigh-in day or maybe you drink a glass of water at 5:30 pm one week and the next week you don't drink it until 6:30 pm. Doing the weigh in first thing in the morning limits the variables that could "happen" before the weigh in takes place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah but when i say i retain water, it's actually really sever in the am, swollen tight hands, feeling puffy all over ect..

It doesn't matter...as long as you're consistent as to when you weigh in you should see the trend go downward...the actual number doesn't matter. Also, are you hydrating properly throughout the day?

By the by, if you weigh in later in the day, you're also weighing whatever food and beverage you've consumed and the ensuing waste...this is what I mean by it doesn't matter...look at the trend, not the number.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you're retaining that much water there might be an underlying cause. I'd get that checked out if you already haven't. Like others said it doesn't matter what time you weigh as long as it's consistently the same. Day to day weight isn't that important, it's the overall downward trend week to week or month to month that you should be looking for.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    I asked my doctor before and he just said "idk"

So i was like ok, must not be a big deal..

I DO comsume a lot of sodium (ive recently been looking and noticed) also I don't hydrate properly which i am also working on.

I just havent been pulling a 2 lb loss each week, its more like 2 per month and its frusterating me cause im following the plan and what not...

Im just frusterated
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I DO comsume a lot of sodium (ive recently been looking and noticed) also I don't hydrate properly which i am also working on.

I just havent been pulling a 2 lb loss each week, its more like 2 per month and its frusterating me cause im following the plan and what not...

Im just frusterated

If over one month your net loss is 2lbs, then your problem doesn't lie in water retention day to day.
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    Also i bought a new more accurate scale which reads 2 lbs heavier than the one I started with, which is also frusterated but admittedly i believe is more accurate because it says the same thing each time i weigh, and the other one jumps a lot & isn't consistent.

So in a sense i feel i have taken a couple stepa backwards because of the new scale..

Idk if any of that makes sense but thanks for reading anyway lol
  • sarahfadell87
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Im just frusterated

If over one month your net loss is 2lbs, then your problem doesn't lie in water retention day to day.

But if im under calorie goal everyday,

And im not losing like im supposed to then im frusterated and i AM frusterated
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I have a friend that weighs at this time. Because we both don't eat a lot during the day, this is actually the lowest weight for her and I (post-workout, pre-dinner). From that perspective, I sort of consider it cheating, because she's waiting until she has nothing in her stomach and is somewhat dehydrated just to get the lowest number. But I have compared that weight to my morning weight and it's pretty consistent (I fluctuate by about 6 lbs, lightest during the middle of the day, and heaviest at the end of the day, in the middle in the morning). I think as long as you weigh same time/same conditions you'll be fine.

Maybe talk to your doctor AGAIN though about the fluid retention. Maybe try to see them in the morning so you can show them your ankles etc. Fluid retention CAN be a symptom of something a lot more serious.