What is the correct form for squats? For building round butt

Options
Hi everyone I was advised on here to start the Stronglifts 5x5, I am trying to lose weight/fat and tone up everywhere (currently 62kg, 5'5, not toned at all.) I'm especially looking to slim my legs and build a nice round butt, so any tips on that are very welcome.

I was watching the Stronglifts video to watch how to perform the squats properly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnV7vEi7Sz8)

My questions are:

At what point do I squeeze my glutes?
Also, I thought I had heard before that knees should not go past toes, is that a myth?
Most of the instructional videos I have seen on youtube have women not even reaching parallel, is there a benefit to this which is not mentioned in the stronglifts video? Or are they wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    amiwills wrote: »

At what point do I squeeze my glutes?
    Also, I thought I had heard before that knees should not go past toes, is that a myth?
    Most of the instructional videos I have seen on youtube have women not even reaching parallel, is there a benefit to this which is not mentioned in the stronglifts video? Or are they wrong?

Thank you in advance!

you squeeze your glutes the minute you step up to the bar and keep them squeezed the whole time.

knees shouldn't go past your toes, although in some variations of the squat they might. There are different squat forms.

squatting below parallel gets the full range of the movement and i think it gets you stronger, but there is a lot of different opinions on how deep you have to go to get the full benefit of the movement.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I add barbell hip thrusts to my compound lifts. I will hip thrust the row weight or deadlift weight. On row day I may do isolation holds (pause at the top) or single-leg-lift since the weight is lighter.

For squats? I think going ATG may be best for glutes.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Squats aren't a particularly efficient way to build the glutes. Like @rileyes mentioned, weighted hip thrusts are one of the best. Deadlifts are also pretty decent (if nothing else, because most people can deadlift a heck of a lot more than they can squat). Bret Contreras Strong Curves is a pretty decent guide in this department.
  • rileyes
    Options
    I think heavy is key. And since all the lifting in the hip thrust is lower body (women are stronger here) you can lift heavier than the full-body moves.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    use a lot of weight! I think people generally under estimate how much weight they can shift glute bridging or hip thrusting. You should easily be repping your body weight after a couple months on a progressive resistance scheme. The glutes are your biggest muscle (I think?), they need to be loaded accordingly.
  • rileyes
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    use a lot of weight! I think people generally under estimate how much weight they can shift glute bridging or hip thrusting. You should easily be repping your body weight after a couple months on a progressive resistance scheme. The glutes are your biggest muscle (I think?), they need to be loaded accordingly.

I realize some of the commenters are addressing other exercises, but OP is asking about squats. Telling her to throw a bunch of weight on before she has the mechanics down is just asking for injuries.

OP has specifics and that is what I and others are addressing. I can BB Hip Thrust almost double of what I can squat because it is all lower body.

She is also looking at SL. Once she is familiar and comfortable with form she will begin adding weight each session as prescribed. Adding hip thrusts may not be a part of the program but I think they will be a nice addition for her goal.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yep, I'm doing SL and have strained my back twice adding too much weight without perfect form. Also, not everyone agrees that is essential to squat past parallel:

[http://muscleevo.net/how-deep-should-you-squat]
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I struggled with my form for squats and found the easiest way to get it right was to do box squats ie squat onto a bench then stand straight up. Started with a 10kg dumbbell and progressed rapidly to 22.5kg. now squatting sets of 8 total of 45kg on a barbell and all within about a month! And my back hasnt hurt at all and my knees are fine which they never were when i used to squat so Im sure its about getting my form bang on with a lighter weight before trying to progress.
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone your info has been really helpful! I ordered a copy of Strong Curves, it looks like that will really help me.

I have another question, should I be aiming to lose my fat before starting on programs such as Stronglifts or Strong Curves?

Thanks again really appreciate the replies!
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can lose fat while gaining muscle it is a much slower process but can be done! Keep focus on having the cleanest diet you can with a little deficit since you're trying to lose weight still and add in some heavier lifting the more muscle you have the more fat you'll burn over time! Hip thrusts and any kind of squats are great I also use cables with an ankle strap and do kickbacks and going out to the side which have made a big difference on the shape and toning of it! Hope that helped!
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @SonyaCele Thank you for your reply! I just tried squeezing from the top and feel as though I lose the squeeze as I sit back in to the squat, until I don't feel it at all. Is this normal?

@SarahPeters3 Thank you! You say it's a slower process, did you mean losing the fat or gaining muscle? Thanks for the tips I will definitely be trying the hip thrusts and kick backs!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    @SonyaCele Thank you for your reply! I just tried squeezing from the top and feel as though I lose the squeeze as I sit back in to the squat, until I don't feel it at all. Is this normal?

yes thats normal that it feels harder to squeeze at the bottom, but try and stay tight. When you are setting up under the bar, torque your feet into the ground, squeeze your glutes, and tighten up your whole body, press your knees out,, it might feel like you are trying to spread the floor with your feet, or screwing your feet into the ground. Get that tightness and focus on keeping it tight through the whole lift. There are different cues people use to help them to stay tight, you'll have to find cues works for you. and focus focus focus on squeezing your glutes and keeping your body tight the whole lift. The better you can train your brain to fire up those muscles and keep them fired, the more benefit you will get from the lift and the stronger you will be.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    mp0mjfoqqyko.jpg

smash butt through and sqaut.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Here is an image laying out the proper form for several types of squats. squat-variants.jpg

Knees can go past the toes, and will for most people.

You should be squatting below parallel unless you have some kind of injury that prevents this (and in some cases, half-squats can be harder on your knees). If you can squat below parallel with low weight, but not the higher weight, then the issue is your strength. Work up to it and don't cheat yourself.

I do not understand how image #1 has so much of his body behind his center of gravity but isn't falling over backwards. I fall over backwards if I do this, and the picture sure looks like he would, too.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Here is an image laying out the proper form for several types of squats. squat-variants.jpg

You should be squatting below parallel unless you have some kind of injury that prevents this (and in some cases, half-squats can be harder on your knees). If you can squat below parallel with low weight, but not the higher weight, then the issue is your strength. Work up to it and don't cheat yourself.

I do not understand how image #1 has so much of his body behind his center of gravity but isn't falling over backwards. I fall over backwards if I do this, and the picture sure looks like he would, too.

The bar is out front, so it's balanced.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Imagine that there are plates on the bar.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I have tried goblet squat, which I guess is similar but not enough weight to counterbalance my head and back and butt. The leaning-forward ones I can do, and with no rack I am not squatting heavy ever, only as much weight as I can get safely over my head.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Yep, I'm doing SL and have strained my back twice adding too much weight without perfect form. Also, not everyone agrees that is essential to squat past parallel:

[http://muscleevo.net/how-deep-should-you-squat]

I posted some articles above regarding this. Unless there is a specific need such as oly lifting or competition parallel is fine. No need to drop below that and at ATG you lose activation of the glutes
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

@SarahPeters3 Thank you! You say it's a slower process, did you mean losing the fat or gaining muscle? Thanks for the tips I will definitely be trying the hip thrusts and kick backs!

Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time can be a slower process than trying to do one or the other by itself which is why people focus on mainly fat loss first until they are at a good weight for them to start weight lifting!