I'm so disgusted with myself but still can't eat healthy.

Options
In the summer I was 205 and was very athletic, still a little chubby though. But I played football and a lot of my weight was muscle. I broke my leg during the football season and was in a cast for two months. I couldn't stop eating and I gained 25 pounds. Even when I was healthy I would still eat so much so the exercising did nothing. I'm really active too. I lift 3x a week and go running/speed and agility 3-4x a week. You would think I would be in good shape and lose quick but my eating habits are terrible. No matter how much I want too I can't stop eating. Now I still do have a lot of muscle weight on me but I would still consider my self fat. I have a gut right now and I just want to get fit but can't eat healthy.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    We're all gonna make it, bro.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Count how many times a day you use the word "can't." Your post seems self defeating. You won't until you realize and decide you can.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating foods that satiate you. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It has less to do with healthy and a lot to do with how much you are eating. Put your information into the goal section here on MFP, set your weight loss goal to one pound per week, and log what you eat.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When you train dogs, one of the things you do to try and eliminate a behavior (like chewing furniture or jumping up) is redirection. Apply the same thing to yourself. When you start reaching for that bean dip or candy bar, deliberately stop, put it down and distract yourself with another activity. I hate hearing the word can't because truly, that is a wussy way of redirecting the blame that lies in yourself. Until you control your behavior and make a true lifestyle change, you will not lose weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So you're saying that you can't out-exercise eating too much?! What a concept! (Joking here. Many of us say this exact thing all of the time.) What you need to figure out is whether over-eating or losing the extra fat is more important to you. It often comes down to that choice. It's easy to SAY "I want to lose the extra pounds" but much harder to actually commit to it and until you're ready to commit, it won't happen. So do you really want it? What are you willing to do for it?

The good news is, it sounds like you're already doing the right things in terms of weight lifting and exercise and the food component is the easiest fix.

First off, lets toss out the word "healthy". It's not a measurement of food; it's an ambiguous term bandied about by the food industry. In addition, there is absolutely nothing out there that legitimately says you have to eat "healthy" to lose weight. Banish that concept and (what is often an excuse) from your mind.

To lose excess fat, you simply need to eat less calories than your body burns on an average basis. It really is as easy as that. There are three different ways to accomplish this. 1) Eat less of the foods you are eating now. Instead of 3 cookies, have 2. 2) Swap out high calorie foods for lower calorie foods and eat the same volume of food you do now. Instead of movie butter popcorn have air popped popcorn. Instead of a Coca Cola have unsweetened iced tea. 3) Some combination of the first two.

My Fitness Pal is really good for this because you track what you eat and can see exactly how many calories you can eat in a day to stick to your goal. Good luck!

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."...quote by someone whose name evades me.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I use an Elizabeth Taylor quote when I feel like I "just can't" anymore. I saved it to my phone for those tough days.

fwe4z7p68v21.jpeg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just start with simple things like logging everything for a few weeks. Then work on reducing the calories you consume and getting enough protein. Set your goal for 1 lb a week and eat what MFP tells you.
    Give yourself time to make changes. You aren't going to be perfect every day.
    Don't stress about eating a certain way today or exercising like crazy.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising that much you are going to be hungry! Its only natural, but I would focus on eating foods that help make u feel fuller longer rather than bad foods that dont!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."...quote by someone whose name evades me.

Looks like Henry Ford :)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    So maybe make one change. Chg one snack to something less calorific or just stop drinking soda or chg one meal to something with less calories. I'm an all or nothing type person but a lot of ppl feel really overwhelmed when trying to chg a lot at once. One step at a time and when youve mastered that change one more thing:)