RMR test - have you done it?

Options
Resting Metabolic Rate Test..I would very much like to try this..just out of pure curiosity. To my understanding, by very accurately measuring the oxygen intake, and carbon dioxide produced by your body, the test can be extremely accurate in determining how many calories you burn at rest..
Have you taken this test? Thoughts?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do this, have it done at a hospital. The units used by gyms aren't that accurate.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Several times and it helped me a lot

95069916.png
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    If you're going to do this, have it done at a hospital. The units used by gyms aren't that accurate.

Ok thank you!
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Several times and it helped me a lot

95069916.png

Awesome! I've lost over 100lb so far..now I'm just curious, and if it can help further weight loss, awesome!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    it helps with the accuracy and understanding how much you burn.

For what it is worth mine was a bit higher than the estimations on several sites.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    it helps with the accuracy and understanding how much you burn.

For what it is worth mine was a bit higher than the estimations on several sites.

Awesome! Can you describe the process you went thru, and possibly how much it costs?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    Mine was covered by the insurance ( was in a university project) There are several tests done from sleeping to walking/exercise ( with masks or tent) And that is the VO2 max

The best results for me was the sleeping/rest ones of 8 hours. because this made me understand what my daily burns were/was. It was done 3 times in what they call a up and down schedule.
    8 hours sleep, 8 hours awake.

You get the same results at a lab were you can schedule an appointment That will be a much shorter test ( some even only 10 minutes) but for me those calculations came out with almost the same numbers.
    Those tests are from 80 dollars to a couple chunder and can be done almost everywhere. Only for a good estimation you do it a couple times.

You will be surprised that the estimation are higher than you think ( for most people they are) but the staff almost all tell the same, people underestimate their calorie intake. So they think their RMR is lower. Some medical conditions can have an influence ( like my fast heart rate in the day) for the averages.

But it is really interesting to do and very useful if you like data. It is not needed! I was in a study with thousands of others so lucky to get the chance to do this and participate.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Mine was covered by the insurance ( was in a university project) There are several tests done from sleeping to walking/exercise ( with masks or tent) And that is the VO2 max

The best results for me was the sleeping/rest ones of 8 hours. because this made me understand what my daily burns were/was. It was done 3 times in what they call a up and down schedule.
    8 hours sleep, 8 hours awake.

You get the same results at a lab were you can schedule an appointment That will be a much shorter test ( some even only 10 minutes) but for me those calculations came out with almost the same numbers.
    Those tests are from 80 dollars to a couple chunder and can be done almost everywhere. Only for a good estimation you do it a couple times.

You will be surprised that the estimation are higher than you think ( for most people they are) but the staff almost all tell the same, people underestimate their calorie intake. So they think their RMR is lower. Some medical conditions can have an influence ( like my fast heart rate in the day) for the averages.

But it is really interesting to do and very useful if you like data. It is not needed! I was in a study with thousands of others so lucky to get the chance to do this and participate.

Super helpful!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had it done at my heaviest. I swore that my metabolism was slow and my doctor suggested the test. Turned out I was not only normal, I was in the higher part of the normal range. It really sucked that I couldn't blame a slow metabolism anymore, but it gave me a starting point as well.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I had it done at my heaviest. I swore that my metabolism was slow and my doctor suggested the test. Turned out I was not only normal, I was in the higher part of the normal range. It really sucked that I couldn't blame a slow metabolism anymore, but it gave me a starting point as well.

Bingo!
    And that is what it is a big help and eyeopener. Also for me.

A good number to work with...but like said before the sites are not far off for many people...it still is all estimations...the calorie intake is the biggest issue for most people.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Resting Metabolic Rate Test..I would very much like to try this..just out of pure curiosity. To my understanding, by very accurately measuring the oxygen intake, and carbon dioxide produced by your body, the test can be extremely accurate in determining how many calories you burn at rest..
    Have you taken this test? Thoughts?

Had a couple, you lie down at rest breathing through an analyser with a heart rate monitor attached too. Takes about 30 mins as the thing looks for steady state to get a good reading. My RMR was 1600 kcal/day.