Low Carb Diet?

Options
salyerssommer
salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay guys, my Doctor put me on the South Beach/ Low Carb Diet.
What are some foods that I can eat that are low/no carb?
I did a little bit of research and I mostly just found all the foods to avoid, haha. So what are some good foods that I actually can have?!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the hounds.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, leafy veggies, cheese to name a few.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If your doctor put you on a specific diet, he/she should give you an eating plan as well. Take it up with him/her.

If you just want to lose weight, and don't have to do low carb for health issues, all you have to do is log your food eating anything you want, and hit your calorie goal every day.
  • chiciebee
    chiciebee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you just want to lose weight, and don't have to do low carb for health issues, all you have to do is log your food eating anything you want, and hit your calorie goal every day.

Not a recommended practice for your health, or sustained weight loss, FYI.
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb for 3 months, and have lost 25 pounds. I do work out also. Here is a website with great information: www.dietdoctor.com. They have 2 week meal plan that is good, and will get you going in the right direction. It will change the way you look at food completely.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    chiciebee wrote: »

What??
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork, poultry, lamb, fish, game, eggs, butter, coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, leafy green veggies, crucifirous veggies, low sugar fruit (like berries), savory fruit (avocados, tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant, cucumbers, etc), seeds and nuts, full fat cheeses, full fat yogurt (plain -added small amounts of fruit yourself), heavy cream. You can have processed meats (bacon, sausage, ham, etc), but it's probably best to keep those to a minimum. For a treat good quality dark chocolate (at least 70%, but the higher the better).

You will find lots of low carb recipes for traditionally high carb things, and it may be something to look into, but personally I avoid those - they rely heavily on artificial sweeteners and alternative flours (almond flour, coconut flour, etc). I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners and alternative flours tend to be quite expensive. If you're just starting out it's probably better to get used to eating a basic low carb diet before trying to replace things (quite often the replacements are disappointing at best, and can cause cravings for some people).

The low carb group can give you more ideas and specifics. Make sure you get enough fat in your diet, and you may need to add salt and/or magnesium and potassium at first because people tend to lose a lot of water in the first week or so (and along with that water, a lot of electrolytes). The loss of electrolytes can make you feel pretty crummy (low carb "flu"). It will pass, but increasing sodium can help.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    With a lot of these plans you can eat unlimited amounts of things with 0-5g net carbs per serving (but eat to fullness, don't overeat), and ~ 1 serving a day of something that's 20-25g net carbs. Or, just track carbs and fibre and do the math. I've been doing low carb high fat (aiming for <50g net carbs per day) for a couple of weeks now. Just watch the nuts and seeds.

Today for breakfast I had a spinach-berry-protein-yogurt smoothie (sometimes I add almond butter) and a hard boiled egg. Lunch was more eggs, avocado, cheese, peppers and cucumber. Supper was a bit heavier because I accidentally forgot part of my lunch. 2 smokies, a spinach salad with peppers, cucumber, pumpkin seeds and creamy garlic dressing, and a serving of 11% fat yogurt. Oh, and I had a serving of macadamia nuts after work.

Tomorrow I am planning on stuffed zucchini following one of the recipes on the MFP blog, except I will sub extra ground beef and cheese for the beans since those have too many carbs.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor tell you a specific reason you should try low carb? Do you have a medical condition that requires it? If so, see if he can refer you to a dietitian so you can have someone work with you around your needs.

If it is just because you need/want to lose weight, do know low carb is not required. Many doctors have limited nutrition education so arwnt the best to ask how to lose weight. He may have suggested low carb because that is all he is familiar with and says that to anyone who asks. I would ask your doctor WHY he reccomended low carb and work from there.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be low carb. Since my type 2 diabetes diagnosis 7 weeks ago I've gone low carbs. It's the one food group you really can cut back on. Weight has been decreasing well. Blood sugars stabilizing

and I never thought I'd go low carb-I love carbs-but this is working out for me very well.

Si I may have 1 piece of whole wheat toast (rather than 2) or eat my poached egg on top of spinach, lean meat, lots of veggies

and I watch my overall calorie intake and walk most days. 25 lbs down another 20 or so and I'll be at goal weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can get the book: The South Beach Diet
    Phase one is more or less like this:
    Beef, chicken, seafood, eggs, cheese, olive oil, avocado,
    Broccoli, tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, kale, squash, asparagus, brussel sprouts,
    South beach snack bars and such are available in grocery store
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Says who? There's lots of us who have done this and not only have we lost the extra weight, we've improved our health in the process as well. Focus on eating a varied diet, learn how portion sizes work (get a kitchen scale to help with this), accurately track your calories and stay within your calorie parameters. You don't have to drastically change your diet or cut out the foods you like. That's not realistic or sustainable long term.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach for awhile years ago. I had good results, but I tend to eat way over in terms of portions on the stuff that is initially not allowed on phases 1 & 2.
    If your doc put you on South Beach... did you not get the book? It literally has pages with what is encouraged and not encouraged depending on your phase, and it has recipes. Most of the recipes needed a dash of hot sauce though...
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just google keto recipes. There are tons of good ones, with low carb substitutes for almost anything you can imagine.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Lost 50lbs doing exactly this, FYI.

OP: ask your doctor if they have an eating plan. You can look at the low carb group here on MFP for more ideas as well. Low carb diets aren't for everyone, but if you're happy on it and feel it's sustainable long term, more power to you. ^_^
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    He did not give a specific reason for me to try low carb, just that I am borderline obese.
    I will set an appointment Monday and ask him if there are any reasons why and ask about the dietian/meal plans.
    Thank you guys so much. I would have never thought of this stuff.

Side note: I'm guessing calorie-intake is more important than low-carb?
    I am concerned about why he did choose a low-carb diet for me?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    South beach can be super healthy, and a great approach. It can, and often IS NOT a low carb diet.
    In fact, its creator would say it's not a low carb diet.

There's a south beach group here, if you want to join.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    this ^^^^^

We eat low carb for medical reasons. Our Friends on South Beach eat non low carb south beach. But their carbs are things like sweet potato, squashes, carrots and oatmeal.

Join the group or get the book and have a good look. You will be restricting plain sugars, flours, any junky treats and packaged goods in particular.

Our friends are older and they use it to manage weight gain. She is 70, active and a healthy and strong size 2-4 with no medications.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    He did not give a specific reason for me to try low carb, just that I am borderline obese.
    I will set an appointment Monday and ask him if there are any reasons why and ask about the dietian/meal plans.
    Thank you guys so much. I would have never thought of this stuff.

Side note: I'm guessing calorie-intake is more important than low-carb?
    I am concerned about why he did choose a low-carb diet for me?

Yes, calories is what drives weight up/down; you keep a stable weight when your calories in equals calories out.

Low carb is a "hot" diet now, and your doctor may think that it's more effective than just cutting calories all over (it isn't. It may help with satiety (unless if it doesn't), and is often recommended for pre-diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism etc. For the ordinary dieter, macro split and meal timing aren't very important.