That moment when it gets real

Options
I'm new here and hoping to make some friends. I just moved to a new city (Albuquerque) and don't really know anyone yet, and am feeling pretty freaked out and alone.

The doctor called today with blood test results and said I have insulin resistance. I need to lose over 100 pounds. I had been trying and failing to lose weight for years, knowing the whole time that my body was a ticking time bomb of obesity-related health problems, but never quite believing it enough to let it be the kick in the pants I needed.

Well, the fuse has been lit. Anyone out there have a similar experience?

Replies

• ShallowGlass
    Options
    I'm new here as well and in a similar situation. I need to lose about 200 pounds. My "get real" moment was when I ended up in the ER for chest pains last fall at 34 years old. I had a heart cath and everything checked out fine, however I'm on on a lot of medications. I am in a catch 22 situation. The doctor says I need the medications but at the same time, they are making it harder to lose weight and exercise. I followed Weight Watchers very closely from September until just after Christmas but lost motivation because I kept gaining and losing the same weight. I had success with WW when I was about 23, but I weight much less, wasn't on so many medications, and my metabolism was obviously different. I meet with a bariatric program next month to discuss possible surgical options, but I also need to get myself focused on a healthy diet and eventually exercising again.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @Blink Albuquerque is a great town to start to get active in. I would strongly encourage you to hike in the Sandia's. They are beautiful. I used to visit my grandparents as a kid in ABQ. Miss seeing the Sandias every morning. Love the La Luz trail...be sure to bring plenty of water. Lot's of bicycle friendly roads too.

Train hard and plan a trip to the Grand Canyon hiking the Bright Angel or something.

Good Luck!
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It was when my mom got type 2 diabetes. The chances of me getting it are much higher now and I want to be healthy for the years ahead.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a moment quite like that, but I know what you mean about the fuse being lit. Three and a half years ago, I was more than 100 lbs overweight. I didn't have any acute health issues, but I realized that my dad was about my age when both of his parents died of complications related to diabetes. I knew I was on the same path, and it just hit me one day that I could change my future if I wanted to.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to think of it as making the right decisions one day at a time, rather than needing to lose a certain amount of weight. 100 lbs seemed like such a vague and far off goal to me, and after the initial excitement about making positive changes wore off, it was really hard to keep pushing for something I knew wouldn't happen for a while. But I kept my head down, stayed focused on developing new and better habits, and, eventually, the weight was gone, and my life had changed in ways I couldn't have imagined in the beginning.

Good luck!
  • blinkblink16
    blinkblink16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm new here as well and in a similar situation. I need to lose about 200 pounds. My "get real" moment was when I ended up in the ER for chest pains last fall at 34 years old. I had a heart cath and everything checked out fine, however I'm on on a lot of medications. I am in a catch 22 situation. The doctor says I need the medications but at the same time, they are making it harder to lose weight and exercise. I followed Weight Watchers very closely from September until just after Christmas but lost motivation because I kept gaining and losing the same weight. I had success with WW when I was about 23, but I weight much less, wasn't on so many medications, and my metabolism was obviously different. I meet with a bariatric program next month to discuss possible surgical options, but I also need to get myself focused on a healthy diet and eventually exercising again.

I'm sorry to hear that. I struggle with some chronic health issues and it can be very depressing at times, especially when it keeps you from exercising. I'm glad that your heart checked out okay, and I know you can overcome this!
  • blinkblink16
    blinkblink16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jon! I'm looking for people to hike with, I'd love to get into that!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! My moment was last fall, when I found out my fasting glucose number put me at pre-diabetic. My grandfather died from complications of diabetes and my grandma, who has ignored her diabetes diagnoses, is starting to have a lot of health problems. That was the wake up call I needed and I decided to lose the weight and get my glucose number in the normal range.
    Fast forward to today-I'm around 50lbs lighter and my fasting glucose number is 89 :)

Sometimes those health scares are just what we need to get serious and really make the change that's needed!
  • JustDrea113
    JustDrea113 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did not have this type of experience, but was probably just a few pounds a way from high cholesterol and God knows what else. I recently had my cholesterol checked after losing 48lbs, and the ratio of good to bad cholesterol was not good! I can't imagine what it was before my diet! It's a journey, a process and the best thing you can do, is not give up. Stay strong dear, nothing is impossible. The word "impossible" even said "I'm possible!"
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and hoping to make some friends. I just moved to a new city (Albuquerque) and don't really know anyone yet, and am feeling pretty freaked out and alone.

The doctor called today with blood test results and said I have insulin resistance. I need to lose over 100 pounds. I had been trying and failing to lose weight for years, knowing the whole time that my body was a ticking time bomb of obesity-related health problems, but never quite believing it enough to let it be the kick in the pants I needed.

Well, the fuse has been lit. Anyone out there have a similar experience?

Yeah. I got away with no metabolic bull**** forever. I mean, I was 45, 347 lbs, no problems with infertility, normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar, low cholesterol. Then I ****ed up my knee bad, and got treated like **** by an arrogant surgeon, and had mobility problems. Kicked my *kitten* for me.
  • ShallowGlass
    Options
    I'm so amazed by the positive support and encouragement here, especially from those who have met their goals.
  • nikkayelizabeth
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance a few years ago, too. I've been overweight from the time I was probably 6-7 years old and have always struggled with losing the weight. I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol and under-active thyroid, which makes it difficult to lose weight to begin with. I've had many a-ha moments, but I think I have finally reached my limit - I'm 22 and am always out of breath when I walk up the stairs, and can't even keep up with my friends half of the times. It's going to be difficult, but the results in the end will be more than worth it.
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    When the doctor suggested gastric bypass. I don't think I really felt that overweight, but I wasn't going under knife and I was tired of him saying most my pains are weight related-; the discomfort in my shins, possible sleep apnea and border line high cholesterol. A different doctor helped point me in the right direction.

Hope you find a niche for yourself there.