Should I eat back my calories ?

Options
I burn around 600 calories daily at the gym but I'm not sure if It's okay to eat them back or not.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Doesn't MFP have a search function?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to eat them.

Start with 50% and adjust up or down as needed based on your avg weekly loss over say 4 weeks.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories. I exercise to increase my deficit.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I exercise and log my calories (about 60% of what MFP gives me) and only dip into them if I'm hungrier than usual, but most days I'm fine without them:)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat back part of my exercise calories if i get hungry - usually a protein food.
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back almost every day. I make it a point to over estimate calories consumed and under estimate calories burned to account for any errors in measurement.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP to calculate your daily calories, then yes, the intention is for you to add them and eat them.
    You will still have a deficit to allow you to lose weight, and creating a bigger deficit it not always a healthy choice.

If you use a different way of calculating your calories (that already includes exercise in this number) then you don't need to add extra calories because they are already built in.

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I can't do this without eating back most of my calories. It makes me want to work out. So far, working great for me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    woah. i guess we can all stop posting since literally every single post has been posted
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    woah. i guess we can all stop posting since literally every single post has been posted

I do get their point... some topics get posted literally every day with absolutely no variation or personal twist on the question that requires the answers to be different to the answers given to whoever posted the question the day before. Sorry, not some topics. One topic. This one.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - please read this rather a load of random "I do it this way...." comments.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - please read this rather a load of random "I do it this way...." comments.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I love this:
    You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It's all very well eating exercise calories if you know exactly how many your burning I know most calories for exercise on mfp database aren't going to be the same burned for everyone as we're all different.
    Also you can't eat calories for things you do nearly every day like housework etc as mfp is taking our usual activity into account.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

I do get their point... some topics get posted literally every day with absolutely no variation or personal twist on the question that requires the answers to be different to the answers given to whoever posted the question the day before. Sorry, not some topics. One topic. This one.

This question is normally on page one of this subforum all day and is asked multiple times each day.
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    I use what MFP says and average what Runkeeper or my exercise machine (after putting in age/weight) says and eat back most of my calories and it is working. I have MFP set to 1lb/week and I'm currently averaging 1.1lbs/week. I'm also not able to weigh my food so just underestimating and it is still working. I always try to err on the side of caution though.