Looking for critiques on my routine during a cut

Options
jkwanda
jkwanda Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 5' 11' male 28 years young, started at 205 (3/1/16), currently at 195, goal weight is 170 (see how I look when I get there). I plan on hitting 170 sometime in July, this is probably a bit aggressive (2lbs/week ish) and I may lose more muscle than need be but whatever, I'm sick of my chub.

I aim for 1400-1800 calories a day, 150ish grams of protein (I don't hit this number as much as I should). I feel like that's a bit low but its been working well enough for a month. I don't eat back calories either.

I think the most valuable thing I've learned when it comes to bettering ones fitness is be consistent and do workouts that I'm willing to stick with. I have been pretty consistent with a modified version of SS/SL5x5 (since 3/1/16) which is longer than most of my fitness stints last. That being said I feel like my workout frequency (though the content of the workouts may be light) may be a bit much as I am starting to approach potential deloads. Looking for advice/feedback, here is what I have been up to:

4 Day Split, A B C D :

A ) Barbell Bench (4 warmup sets) 3 x (3-5)*
OHP (4 warmup sets) 3 x (3-5)
6 mins of MIIT* 30 sec intervals of pushups/body squats

B ) Barbell Squat (4 warmup sets) 3 x (3-5)
Weighted Situps (2 warmup sets) 3 x (10-12)
6 mins of MIIT 30 sec intervals of ab wheel/body squats (Thinking about changing this to russian twists/squats)

C ) C25K - I suck at running, but I like it's structure.

D ) Barbell Deadlift (4 warmup sets) 1 x (3-5)
Weighted Chinups (2 warm up sets) 3 x (3-5)
Last week I threw in Barbell Shrugs here, I have no idea what a good rep range is for these so for now I am doing:
(2 warmup sets) followed by 20,15,10,5,3 reps with 10lbs added in between sets.

No rest days (C25K seems like rest enough). Its so much easier for me to stick to routines if they are a daily habit.

*(3-5) means if I completed the full set the previous workout then add a rep next workout, if I complete the 5 reps then add 5lbs. Rinse and repeat. At the start I was doing (5-8) but it started to seem a bit unnecessary as I am not going to be putting on any size with the amount of calories I am consuming, plus I was starting to approach deloads.

*MIIT = moderate intensity seeing as I don't feel like I'm dying on these but still want to get some cardio in.

Congrats if you made it this far, and thanks.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You're essentially doing just 2 lifts per day? Makes no sense to me.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »

Also wondering where all the lifts are?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Over complex and hardly any real lifting.
    How about picking an estbalished routine that fits your schedule and not modifying it?
  • jkwanda
    edited April 2016
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »

Hmm, I was thinking its lifting volume per week (excluding weighted sit-ups is between 150 and 225 reps) is in between SS (115 reps) and SL5x5 (225 reps). I figured it would be good because I really dont like off days.

If it is really that bad of an idea I will switch over to something more conventional. For what its worth I've been enjoying it for the past month...
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I actually can't see how this is a "modified" version of SL at all? It also seems like you're not eating enough. I am an almost 5'5 female, 130 lbs, and I lose on between 1500-1800 cals a day ...
  • jkwanda
    Options
    I actually can't see how this is a "modified" version of SL at all? It also seems like you're not eating enough. I am an almost 5'5 female, 130 lbs, and I lose on between 1500-1800 cals a day ...

Maybe "inspired by" would be better phrasing. I'm aiming to lose 2lbs/week and am willing to accept some muscle loss to get there. I realize it may be a bit aggressive for my size, is it too aggresive?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    1400-1800 cal seems very low for you. I am 5' 185lb female and I cut at a good rate on 1800-2000 calories. (I spend a good amount of time in the gym though between lifting and cardio.)
    I would aim for 1800 at *minimum*. Take those extra cals and work on hitting your protein consistently.
    As far as the program, I'm not a fan of SL. Some people love it though.
    How did you determine you need to deload? As a beginner you shouldn't need to deload after a month.
    The actual SL program says:
    "Deload. If you fail to get 5×5 with the same weight for 3 workouts in a row, deload for that exercise. Take 10% weight off for that lift only, and add 5lb (2,5lb on the Press/Bench) every workout again. Make sure you lift as fast as you can with the lighter weights and focus on technique."
  • jkwanda
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'll try to stick around 1800 then.

I have been lifting off and on for at least 4 years, mostly stronglifts and starting strength formats. My lift numbers however are still at novice levels because of how wildy inconsistent I have been. I've been stuck in a cycle between cutting weight while lifting or eating too much and not lifting.

I know I'm approaching deloads because Im near my PRs that have caused deloads in the past. I guess there is a chance that its more of a mental plateau than physical...

In the past I believe my routines have failed/stopped because either I hit a plateau and my one day off turns into 2..3..4 as I'm dreading hitting all of my lifts to failure. Or I want to switch from cutting to maintenance or bulking too early and then get carried away with the eating and for whatever reason fall off the lifting wagon.

Those are the considerations I had for this plan, get down to a bodyweight where I can finally bulk which I havent been able to do since i was 18. And I dont want myself to have the excuse to turn an off day into 2 then 3 then 4 which always seems to happen. But I dont want to spin my wheels with something really inneffective if thats what my plan looks like to more experienced people.