Weight loss with iud

Options
2»

Replies

• brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the implant, and gained 30lbs since it was put in. If I don't start losing weight, I'll have it removed. Even worse, my period is now three weeks long. Ugh. I may switch to a copper iud.
  • April_220
    April_220 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Two things:

(1) never compare yourself to a guy who is doing the same plan. they always lose weight faster, in part because they generally have more muscle, which leads to more calorie burn (*kitten*...lol)

(2) it could be the type of hormones in the mirena that lead to the weight gain. have you thought about changing to a non-hormonal iud (i.e., paragard)?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a copper IUD? I have Paraguard, and I absolutely love it. No hormones, I can leave it in for 10 years, and I've had no side effects. Well, except my periods are heavier than they used to be, but nothing some iron supplements and super duper tampons can't handle.

I can't do that and have heavier periods...the reason I use Mirena and Depo is to stop them...they are heavy and make me anemic...now I have to deal with hemochromatosis...one for the other. I still would rather deal with the bloat, increased appetite etc than no energy and heavy periods.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have the implant, and gained 30lbs since it was put in. If I don't start losing weight, I'll have it removed. Even worse, my period is now three weeks long. Ugh. I may switch to a copper iud.

It's not the implant that is causing the weight gain...that would be excess calories....