• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it will provide no greater fat loss than an equivalent diet eating throughout the day. It's all about total calorie consumption.

This is true. Most "diets" are just gimmicks to get you to eat less. For weight loss, it pretty much all boils down to how many calories you consume in a 24-hour period in comparison to how many you burned, regardless of the times you ate, the macro ratios, etc.

The way I understand it the theory of IF is about which type of fuel your body will burn - fat vs sugar, and not about burning more fuel overall on the same amount of calories. (Although, I don't doubt many doing IF will misinterpret that.)

Over the span of 24hrs, the amount of fat vs sugar burned will be fairly equal.

Maybe, but there are many who feel otherwise. For reference, here is a good one page summary with graphs that explains what people are trying to achieve on IF. In the end of a few months the difference may only be slight, but many do swear by it - and it has other benefits people like too.

burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html

The benefits from protocols like leangains, 5:2 or any other type of fasting are mainly a great control of calories. It is a legitimate eating pattern and I know many swear by it, but if calories and macros are held constant, then results should be the same. The biggest thing is, recognizing the method that works best for you because if you can't stick with it, you won't achieve your goals.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At the end of the day, it will provide no greater fat loss than an equivalent diet eating throughout the day. It's all about total calorie consumption.

This is true. Most "diets" are just gimmicks to get you to eat less. For weight loss, it pretty much all boils down to how many calories you consume in a 24-hour period in comparison to how many you burned, regardless of the times you ate, the macro ratios, etc.

The way I understand it the theory of IF is about which type of fuel your body will burn - fat vs sugar, and not about burning more fuel overall on the same amount of calories. (Although, I don't doubt many doing IF will misinterpret that.)

Maybe, but there are many who feel otherwise. For reference, here is a good one page summary with graphs that explains what people are trying to achieve on IF. In the end of a few months the difference may only be slight, but many do swear by it - and it has other benefits people like too.

The benefits from protocols like leangains, 5:2 or any other type of fasting are mainly a great control of calories. It is a legitimate eating pattern and I know many swear by it, but if calories and macros are held constant, then results should be the same. The biggest thing is, recognizing the method that works best for you because if you can't stick with it, you won't achieve your goals.

For those of us doing the shorter fasts under 24 hours, it really is about weight management and hopefully achieving some health benefits too, so yes - finding what works is key. IF has other possible benefits too, though clearly more research needs to happen. There is growing research that the longer term fasts of 24 to 72 hours also has some measurable health benefits for people with more chronic conditions using our body's natural process of autophagy. Dr Colin Champ has some good info, including a presentation on Youtube. There is also Professor Longo in southern Cal who is studying the HGH (human growth hormone) relation with this method. I find it all fascinating, although still not tempted to try it. :wink:

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have done IF and it worked well for me. I get very hungry when I eat in the morning, so IF allowed me to have better control in order to stay within my calorie goal each day. Plus it allowed me to have calories left for a snack each evening, which I always crave.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am into week 3 of 5:2 IF . So far it's been great. No hormonal changes whatsoever. I find it easier to stick to than regular deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    5:2 is working well for me so far. IF with a 16:8 or similar set up doesnt fit my lifestyle because breakfast is my favorite meal and I need it to feel good plus dinner is our family time in the evening. It's much easier for me to skip lunch. I think psulemon's point is on the mark.

• dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Works great for me. I don't follow any exact hours I just skip breakfast and have my first meal around 3 pm or later if I'm not hungry and last by 10 pm. It's great I get to eat big portions and still stay within my calories
  • cath1646
    cath1646 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of questions... Is IF also, when you fast for a period of time every day? Say, your eating window is 9AM to 6PM (for me that means a good lunch but no dinner). Also, does IF lower your metabolism?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cath1646 wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions... Is IF also, when you fast for a period of time every day? Say, your eating window is 9AM to 6PM (for me that means a good lunch but no dinner). Also, does IF lower your metabolism?

Yes, this is called IF. It's not really different from any other calorie control strategy with a reasonable calorie budget. It will lower your metabolism the same way any other diet would, and that's because your metabolism is lowered when you lose weight, simply because you are smaller. There is no way around that.
  • cath1646
    cath1646 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Yes, this is called IF. It's not really different from any other calorie control strategy with a reasonable calorie budget. It will lower your metabolism the same way any other diet would, and that's because your metabolism is lowered when you lose weight, simply because you are smaller. There is no way around that.

I've heard / read that a small meals every few hours are the best way to ensure you are always burning something. But that tactic doesn't work for me because I forget while IF seems easier.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I've heard / read that a small meals every few hours are the best way to ensure you are always burning something. But that tactic doesn't work for me because I forget while IF seems easier.

This is a myth. Eating multiple small meals is the same as eating one or two big meals when it comes to weight loss and metabolism.
  • brala90
    brala90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live IF!
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 4 of IF
    I do IF Monday - Friday I break fast around 1130-12 Friday afternoon and then I'm "regularly" eating until I stop eating Sunday night by 9pm, I find that I'm used to it now so even on my "off" day I end up IF
  • Tay617
    Tay617 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    but so far I have been getting used to it making sure I'm not wrecking my hormones, so I haven't been intensely measuring body fat, I barely weigh myself any way. but for some reason now in the 3rd week I'm starting to feel the hunger more, the second week I had some days where I was way under calories.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It only works if you still track your food and are in a calorie deficit.

It works for me because I don't eat breakfast anyway.
  • jumpingborderterrier
    jumpingborderterrier Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did it for 2 weeks. I liked the break from thinking about food in the morning rush. Hated bonking in my weight training class one morning. Felt light headed and clammy. I quit after that.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I did it for 2 weeks. I liked the break from thinking about food in the morning rush. Hated bonking in my weight training class one morning. Felt light headed and clammy. I quit after that.

I take 10g of bcaa right before the gym in the morning then another 10g every two hours until my first meal of the day at 1pm. No bonking. Learned that from Andy Morgan at ripped body .jp
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do it and am also following a LCHF diet. I generally only eat between 1pm - 6pm. I kind of sort of break fast in the morning with my coffee, but it doesn't affect my hunger levels so I'm not worried about it. I am very rarely hungry between meals. M-F I tend to eat twice a day and many weekends I only eat once.
  • reddeament
    reddeament Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 2 weeks (14-15 hour daily fast) and am happy with the results so far so have kept going (tbh I'm strict with during the week, but less so during the weekend).

Have found that a black coffee in the morning helps me get through to 1pm before I start eating :)
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm on my fourth week of Fast-5, haven't quite gotten down to a five-hour window yet. I'm liking it so far. I'm not super strict yet (I do sometimes allow myself a splash or two of unsweetened almond milk during my window) but have noticed significant appetite correction. Haven't had a problem working out, but I'm not lifting heavy right now.