Food Addiction, and Tired of Giving up Over and Over

Options
Hi all! My name is Aimee, and here is a little of my story. I have found comfort in food since I was a very young age. Due to neglect, and never knowing when I was going to eat, I learned to find ways to feed myself. The only problem with that is that I was only four years old and had no clue what proper nutrition was.

I was eventually removed from my mother's home and went to live with my father and first step mom, who used food as a tool to punish me. Once, it was by force feeding me probably five times as much food as would be considered nutritionally sufficient for a six year old. I was punished when I vomited up the food afterward.

Life with my dad and current (3rd) stepmom was a challenge as well, as I was constantly being judged for the way I ate, causing me to reach a point where I had to hide it.

I have been on a number of diet regimens, crash diets, I have starved myself, I have sporadically been bulimic, I have restricted. It all ends up in my return to binge and overeating. I weigh more than I ever have, and am tired of it. I hate the way I feel about myself, and I am ready for change. This is now about finding a new lifestyle that will give me good health and longevity.

I have been on here before, but have never been consistent. That is also going to change.

This time, I am asking for a support network. If there is anyone here that has been through anything similar as my story, I would love to hear your story and what type of success you have had and how you got there.

Thank you!

Replies

• genl7
    genl7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Aimee,
    My name is Jenn! I'm sorry that you have gone threw these awful experiences, but I'm glad that your here and have made the decision the get healthy.
  • lukkiecharm
    lukkiecharm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Aimee,
    I work in a group home for women who have drug and alcohol addictions - very few places for other types of addiction unfortunately. Many of the ladies here have experienced early childhood trauma and some of the same issues you mentioned. Many of their addictions come from the same reasons. I would suggest looking into coping skills and not only diets, etc.
    Triggers, stress as well as other things contribute to these patterns that we fight so hard to change. A diary is an excellent idea for a place to write down your moods, and perhaps this place to write down a separate food diary. Not together. At the end of each week or month, maybe you will see a pattern. Days where you had struggled and given in to your cravings and days that went well. By doing this you might begin to see some of the causes, times, people and other triggers that you can work on avoiding. Good luck to you. You can do this.
  • freelingfree
    freelingfree Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Im addicted to food.add me