please tell me when

Options
I'm hoping I'm not sounding completely pathetic but I'm rather overweight and I've started working out and I want to know how long it took for some other people for working out going from being "painful" to feeling routine and feeling like its a part of my life I want and desire in life... And just so it's known I am a stay at home mom of two toddlers that I run around with constantly and that doesn't wear me out like working out does.
I'm sorry I hope I don't sound ridiculous.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are in pain while working out, you are doing something wrong and should stop. Check out your form, slow down or whatever. Exercise should never be painful.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    painful as a state of mind or as in real pain?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you taking about pain like muscle soreness (DOMS), or that exercising in general hurts? Because they're two very different things.

Exercise shouldn't be painful. It does become painful if you push too hard or do too much too soon. In which case, you need to scale it back.

I'll give you an example. When I first started, I started out with mild walking. I decided I wanted to run after a couple months. Whenever I'd try to run, the back of my calf would feel like it was on fire. Had no idea what it was. Came here, found my answer. Too much. Too Soon. My body just wasn't ready for that. I needed to work on just doing the walking and getting my endurance and cardiovascular health up. 10 months after starting, I ran my first 5k.

If it's DOMS, however, power through that shiz and gitrdun. It'll go away in a few days.
  • mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I walk or I have one of those stair machines my knees and lower back hurt horribly. And I do believe the pain is because of being overweight but like I said I just was curious how long it took before the hurt started to feel better and working out felt more routine (does that make sense)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do the elliptical or bike or swim if weight bearing cardio hurts. No timeline, it's personal. Strength training will also help as strengthening your muscles around those joints will most likely help reduce that pain.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us have bitten off more than we can chew from time to time. So just walk or do the stationary bike until you lose more weight and gradually get into shape. If you injure yourself you might have to stop exercising altogether until you heal, which is bad. If you have access to a trainer, you could also add some weights to your routine with the appropriate guidance.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I walk or I have one of those stair machines my knees and lower back hurt horribly. And I do believe the pain is because of being overweight but like I said I just was curious how long it took before the hurt started to feel better and working out felt more routine (does that make sense)

I would probably avoid the stair machine and focus on just walking. Or maybe think about swimming. For example, my Y has a heated pool and they do water workout classes. It feels great and it's easy on your body because of the buoyancy.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    I'll have to check out our local Y thank you
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Maybe a good yoga instructor would be better for you at this point in time. If weight is causing you pain, then lowering the intensity of your exercise and focusing on diet to get your weight to a more moveable number will help.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try starting with just walking. You can take your kids with you in a double stroller. Maybe walk to a park, let them play, walk back? Add in extra time or intensity a little at a time.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider a stationary bike? A recumbent bike would allow you to sit in a chair-like seat while peddling which should help relieve the pressure in your back.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I'm not sounding completely pathetic but I'm rather overweight and I've started working out and I want to know how long it took for some other people for working out going from being "painful" to feeling routine and feeling like its a part of my life I want and desire in life... And just so it's known I am a stay at home mom of two toddlers that I run around with constantly and that doesn't wear me out like working out does.
    I'm sorry I hope I don't sound ridiculous.

i've been training for about four years and i'll let you know when it happens to me.

i'm kidding... slightly. we all go through phases where working out and eating right kinda sucks, and you'd just rather sit on the couch and Netflix and Pizza. but soon enough you're going to love the exercising. it'll take a while, and you also need to find the right kind of exercise for you. if you are heavy, running is probably not the thing for you. i suggest cycling. much easier on the knees.
  • jgoulet003
    jgoulet003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As for making it feel more routine, I think you have to like what you're doing. When I started working out I just went to the Y and did 30 minutes of cardio during the week and an hour on the weekends. I really liked it. Then I started having health problems and had to stop working out. Now, I can't seem to justify going to the gym since my son is in school now and I have too much to do at home. I'm trying to get myself to be able to work out at home and that is a struggle since I don't like it nearly as much as I like the gym.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    Try starting with just walking. You can take your kids with you in a double stroller. Maybe walk to a park, let them play, walk back? Add in extra time or intensity a little at a time.

As soon as it warms up and quits raining daily I'm definitely ready to start taking them out I know they are starting to get stir crazy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

As soon as it warms up and quits raining daily I'm definitely ready to start taking them out I know they are starting to get stir crazy.

bundle them up!! my toddler loves being outside, and nothing gets her more tired than playing in the cold air!!
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started exercising at 286lbs. My knees, feet and back hurt horribly to the point i wanted to cry on the elliptical. Stationary bike helped loads with my knees - alignment and developing supporting muscle. It does get easier. Every lb that came off made the difference so I'd suggest keep it low impact (elliptical, bike, swimming) and make sure you keep your calorie deficit and it will all feel better.

I am on the verge of breaking 200lbs in weight and I LOVE my exercise now. I went for a quick walk to the shop last night and had a feeling of euphoria at the fact i was walking fast, nothing hurt and I was breathing normally and not sweating like a pig. Give your body time. If it hurts, lower the intensity and keep your diet in check.

Hope this helps. Good luck and stock up on the anti-inflammatory tablets. x
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The Alarm reaction phase of general adaptation syndrome generally lasts 2-3 weeks with sustained (and similar) activity.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options

bundle them up!! my toddler loves being outside, and nothing gets her more tired than playing in the cold air!!

The cold I don't mind so much it's the rain that needs to disappear
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MamaKate, you don't sound ridiculous and don't apologize. That's one hell of a legit question!

I feel some amount of soreness and strain on my muscles anytime I start to do something new. I have the attention span of a squirrel that drank a red-bull, so I am always asking the PT at the gym to show me new things. Even when I stop doing an exercise for a couple weeks and go back to it, I will feel sore for a little bit. The important thing is that you're doing something, and doing something means you're running circles around the people who are doing nothing.

The pain will go away if you start slow, because even if you're doing something and watching what you eat you're going to lose the weight that is causing the pain. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to do the things that caused you pain in a few months if you take the advice above.

I can say that when I started jogging last fall I could barely go a tenth of a mile without feeling like death was nipping at my heels. I still am not running a 5k anytime soon, but I can go 1.5 miles without stopping now. It still kinda hurts, but its not excruciating anymore.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    MamaKate, you don't sound ridiculous and don't apologize. That's one hell of a legit question!

I feel some amount of soreness and strain on my muscles anytime I start to do something new. I have the attention span of a squirrel that drank a red-bull, so I am always asking the PT at the gym to show me new things. Even when I stop doing an exercise for a couple weeks and go back to it, I will feel sore for a little bit. The important thing is that you're doing something, and doing something means you're running circles around the people who are doing nothing.

The pain will go away if you start slow, because even if you're doing something and watching what you eat you're going to lose the weight that is causing the pain. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to do the things that caused you pain in a few months if you take the advice above.

I can say that when I started jogging last fall I could barely go a tenth of a mile without feeling like death was nipping at my heels. I still am not running a 5k anytime soon, but I can go 1.5 miles without stopping now. It still kinda hurts, but its not excruciating anymore.

Thank you.. I mean I have always been a big girl but before I had kids I was very active and I hiked all the time but I never considered that working out because I enjoyed it .. Hiking with toddlers is not easy haha too many cliffs and my son is fast an fearless.. I can't wait until they are older so I can take them