Strong Lifts Exercise Pacing

Options
In viewing some of the videos that are available from the phone app I noticed that the pace of the lifting seems to be quite fast. Meaning the the lift and negative phases are accomplished quite quickly. In the past I have always been taught to lift fairly slow and controlled ensuring proper form. For example on a bench press I would lift the bar on a 2 count then lower it to my chest on a 4 count, which makes the exercise a bit more intense. Is that not needed or encouraged in Strong Lifts? Or do I try to focus on getting the exercise done faster in order to increase weight at a quicker pace? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    In viewing some of the videos that are available from the phone app I noticed that the pace of the lifting seems to be quite fast. Meaning the the lift and negative phases are accomplished quite quickly. In the past I have always been taught to lift fairly slow and controlled ensuring proper form. For example on a bench press I would lift the bar on a 2 count then lower it to my chest on a 4 count, which makes the exercise a bit more intense. Is that not needed or encouraged in Strong Lifts? Or do I try to focus on getting the exercise done faster in order to increase weight at a quicker pace? Any insight would be most appreciated.

I like to go at a nice, even pace. Controlled and steady, keeping the muscles tense. When people move at a quicker pace, they tend to use momentum to complete their lifts. Especially with curls, squats, and cable pull-downs.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    As a beginner you don't really need to be going that slow for results - it's going to burn you out mid sets and you will struggle to add 5 lbs per workout as 5x5 recommends. Just do it controlled, no long pauses but no bouncing, either
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Both methods are effective but Stronglifts is focusing on strength which benefits from "explosive" work. That means fast, but controlled. Explosive work will definitely help you move more weight, but lifting slowly will help gain strength as well, but can be quite difficult when you get into larger amounts of weight.

There is a place for both types of work in a balanced program.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Regular speed descent (don't bounce at the bottom), and explode out of the hole as fast as you can. You will find that as weight increases, you won't be able to 'explode' out as fast as you used to and that's fine - that means the weight is becoming challenging.