C25K question

Options
firef1y72
firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
So I completed Week 3 Day 3 this morning and although I have managed to complete each of the jogs, I'm still very out of breathe at the end of the 3 minute jogs. I'm due to start Week 4 on Monday, but I'm a nervous at the big jump in running/jogging time.

So do I push on to Week 4 and see if I can manage, or do I repeat Week 3 in the hope that I'm more comfortable with the 3min jogs after another week?

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I would push on to Week 4 and see how you go. A lot of running is mental and you may surprise yourself with your capability.

One tip: the running sections - run them slow (even if it feels like you are crawling), the walking sections - walk them fast.

You'll be golden.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I started I used telephone poles outside as my guide. First I would run from one pole to the other and then walk a to the next and so on. The next week, I stretched it to 2 poles, etc. I never used C25K. Its all about building your endurance base. Walk and then run a little and so on. Thats all you need.
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I never finished the C25K programme, but got to week 7 or so (not that that matters here...)
    Anyway, if you worry that the next week could be too much for you, just repeat the last day. I think I did that after week 5 or so, just to build up my confidence and it did help.

Good luck with it!
  • firef1y72
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

One tip: the running sections - run them slow (even if it feels like you are crawling), the walking sections - walk them fast.

I must be one of the slowest joggers ever seen in the village, tested out my jogging speed on the treadmill earlier today and it was 7km/hr and probably less than that out on the road running up a slight incline in to the wind. (Doing about 11.5min/km when combining warm up, jogging and walking intervals and cool down)

• RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    So I completed Week 3 Day 3 this morning and although I have managed to complete each of the jogs, I'm still very out of breathe at the end of the 3 minute jogs. I'm due to start Week 4 on Monday, but I'm a nervous at the big jump in running/jogging time.

So do I push on to Week 4 and see if I can manage, or do I repeat Week 3 in the hope that I'm more comfortable with the 3min jogs after another week?

If you're very out of breath you're doing the jogs too fast. Most people don't start out slow enough. Basically go as slow as you possibly can without it being a walk. Right now you're just training your legs and heart to run, speed isn't a concern. That will come later automatically as you build endurance.

Try doing week 4, but go slower than you have been. If you really struggle, you can always drop back to week 3.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    If you're very out of breath you're doing the jogs too fast. Most people don't start out slow enough. Basically go as slow as you possibly can without it being a walk. Right now you're just training your legs and heart to run, speed isn't a concern. That will come later automatically as you build endurance.

Try doing week 4, but go slower than you have been. If you really struggle, you can always drop back to week 3.

I really can't jog any slower, any slower and it would just be a fast walk lol. I'm out of breathe because at 5'2" and 229lb I'm morbidly obese. But I am seeing improvements in my heart health since starting the C25K 3 weeks ago, that first week my HR was going above 170 by the last couple of intervals, today the max was 157.

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It is inspiring to read this. I'm on my rest day after Week 3 day 2. Tomorrow i run day 3, and i've had the same vague concern, seeing that i'm jumping from a 3 minute run to a 5 minute run.

My plan was to tray Week 4 Day 1 when the time comes, and if i fail to make it for the required time, simply keep repeating that day til i get it.

But i'm encouraged by the responses here. i think i tend to go a little too fast on the jogging portions, and a little too slow on the walking portions, once i'm gassed.

tomorrow i work on slowing my jogging, and keeping a good pace for my walk, and continue to incorporate my belly breathing.

Thanks to all the good folks in the MFP forums that share their wisdom and compassion!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    5'4" and currently running 15:30 minute-miles. So yes all of you probably CAN go slower. I do!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5. The longer the run, the slower I run. I thought I was slow at the beginning, but now I'm slower! Ive actually been doing extra run intervals most days. I'd rather do that to help build endurance than skip ahead or go faster. Keep it going everyone!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could only run from my house to the corner (2 houses away) before I was out of breath. I worked on it for over a year until I could run maybe 3 miles but would be beat when I got done. For a long time I actually had some chest pain during running just from being so badly out of shape. I have since run a 10 miler and a 13.1 and am slowly working on a full marathon training program. A few weeks ago I did a 8 mile training run -- I run slowly but I ran the entire time and only stopped to cross 2 intersections -- when I was done I had to walk about a mile to get back to my job and change and then another mile to the train to commute home. Other than a few leg cramps I felt great and ran a little over 4 miles a day later. It's taken me a long time to not be completely out of breath and to get into longer runs -- it's something that you just have to keep working on. Do what you can and then just add a little more.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So do I push on to Week 4

Yes

Running is 80% mental
  • firef1y72
    Options
    So a day late, but I pushed on to week 4 this morning and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Still the words "one minute to go" were the best words I'd ever heard and that last minute seemed to last forever.
  • firef1y72
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    It is inspiring to read this. I'm on my rest day after Week 3 day 2. Tomorrow i run day 3, and i've had the same vague concern, seeing that i'm jumping from a 3 minute run to a 5 minute run.

My plan was to tray Week 4 Day 1 when the time comes, and if i fail to make it for the required time, simply keep repeating that day til i get it.

But i'm encouraged by the responses here. i think i tend to go a little too fast on the jogging portions, and a little too slow on the walking portions, once i'm gassed.

tomorrow i work on slowing my jogging, and keeping a good pace for my walk, and continue to incorporate my belly breathing.

Thanks to all the good folks in the MFP forums that share their wisdom and compassion!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, although I was barely going above a shuffle, if I can do it almost anyone can.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I would push on to Week 4 and see how you go. A lot of running is mental and you may surprise yourself with your capability.

You'll be golden.

this. slow slow slow. When I worked through c25k I struggled at that same week. I took the advice to go slow, EVEN if it meant I was actually 'running' slower than I was walking.

I found it was about foot placement and cadence. I learnt that marathon runners aim for a cadence of 180 per minute. What this means is three steps (right-left-right) per second. The CADENCE doesn't change to make you go faster as such, but the stride does. So to run slow, make your steps smaller. You'll virtually be jogging on the spot but I am trying to build my cadence up to a regular 180.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, although I was barely going above a shuffle, if I can do it almost anyone can.

I did my Week 4 Day 1 yesterday, and made it through too.

I actually missed my cue to stop running during the first 5 minute phase, and over-ran a bit. I then missed my cue to start running for the second 3 minute phase, and made up the time by running for 6 minutes at the end.

Totally surprised that i could just decide to do that.... this has been an amazing experience!

And yeah.. i slowed my jog down to a shuffle too, and picked my walking speed up a bit, and my breathing has gotten a lot easier.

Congratulations to everybody pushing their goals. We've got this!
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    When I started I used telephone poles outside as my guide. First I would run from one pole to the other and then walk a to the next and so on. The next week, I stretched it to 2 poles, etc. I never used C25K. Its all about building your endurance base. Walk and then run a little and so on. Thats all you need.

this doesn't answer OP's question.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in January as a non-runner that was still very overweight and I can now run 25 minutes without walking - over 2 miles - not fast but not walking. I found there were a couple of weeks I needed to do twice - I suggest trying the next week's workout and if you can't simply repeat the previous week's workout. I will suggest caution and not pushing it too hard if you are not a runner - C25K is laid out to progress but with a reduced risk of injury - by going slower - listen to your body and repeat weeks if needed.

Good luck! You can do it...
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I started with C25K, I repeated Week 4 because I didn't feel ready for Week 5. Now I run marathons! No shame in taking your time to get where you are going.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options