annoyed.

Options
just a little rant...

I am 275 pounds. i know exactly how i got this way. I over eat. i love food too much. so 4 days ago i have made a complete commitment to getting back to healthy weight. I have the usual reasons to do it. to look better, to be healthy, for my kids and husband and all that crap. my rant is about why does everyone else feel the need to butt into my wieghtloss business. I mean come on! if you want to be helpful and supportive thats fine, but so tired of the unwanted advice and negativity. i am so glad i have this site.

some examples....

1. my neighbor... -you can't eat whatever you want and lose weight
- the typical fat girl excuse..i like to eat. it can't be just that its a mental issue
- you have tried so many times and failed. i dont see you doing this

2. a friend..... - i hate MFP. i dont like how it tells you that you can eat what you like and still
lose weight. it doesnt work that way...no junk food allowed
- you should try 21 day fix with shakes. that will work for you....when i decline i
get told...well when i lose weight fast and look good you will want to be under
me because i am going to be a coach.

Can't I just lose the weight how I want? I hate the idea of shakes damn it. this fat girl wants to eat real food and lose weight lol.

Replies

• chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's 100% your right to do this how you want. Are people just giving unsolicited advice? Shut them down and don't allow their negativity to permeate your mindset. People are annoying!
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    it seems that any friend i talk to who wants to lose weight aswell keeps trying to push the 21 day fix at me and shakes..its highly annoying
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone I was losing weight except for my husband. I kept wearing baggy clothes and no one really noticed, until towards the end. Then when I started transitioning into maintenance I bought all new clothes and people were shocked, lol. Crazy thing was, people then started giving me dieting advice :p I just smiled and told them what I was doing worked fine and then changed subjects.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Heh. I don't/didn't talk about weight loss with anyone until I lost the weight - for this very reason.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    hehehehe. That last time someone told me that I "couldn't have something cause your on a diet" I crammed a big *kitten* donut in my pie hole right in front of them...then I had to run and extra couple miles on the treadmill that night. lol.

Just tell the shakes people that God gave us teeth for a reason.

If that fails, throat punching is always an option.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Telling people you are trying to lose weight invites comments about it. Don't talk about it, just do it.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I stopped talking to people outside the app about trying to lose weight. Now they can just be surprised when they see me
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I would get asked what I was doing to lose weight. People were shocked that I was "just" logging food & moving more.

You have to do this YOUR way, because maintenance is tough. Meal replacement shakes aren't a lifestyle change. Some people just don't get that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You absolutely can lose weight regardless of the type of foods you eat. As long as you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose. Having said that, this doesn't mean you should eat all junk food, but rather, it means you should address nutritional requirements and incorporate the foods you love. I try to save 10% of my calories to treats.

And if you love to eat, exercise is a great way of burning more calories, which will allow you to eat more. It will make it much easier to balance your nutritional requirements and the volume of food you need.

Overall, its all about balance. Get the foods you need from a nutritional standpoint, and the foods you want from a psychological standpoint. Addressing both makes this easier and will make it sustainable. And most important, don't listen to the complete nonsense from others.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you just don't talk to these people about what you're doing and just do it. Eat the way you want, exercise the way you want and don't talk to them about it.

Talk to the healthy people in your life about it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    hehehehe. That last time someone told me that I "couldn't have something cause your on a diet" I crammed a big *kitten* donut in my pie hole right in front of them...then I had to run and extra couple miles on the treadmill that night. lol.

Yep, that was me. Except it was a nice piece of chocolate silk pie and I'd already worked it into my plan for the week 'cause I knew it was coming (mother's birthday), so no need to work it off. Fortunately, since it was 800+ cals.

Was really satisfying to say, "what are you talking about? I can eat pie and still lose" and then take a bite with appropriate mmmm sounds. The look on the person's face ... priceless.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    People are jerks..... just do your thing Momma!!!
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

and throat punching is always the best lol
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    She's probably a "coach" and trying to flog you her crap.....don't do it.....
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Only the people closest to me know I am trying to lose. Too many annoying people with some strange ideas of diet out there and they all think theirs is the best and only. Do what works for you and remember to make is sustainable.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Let us know what they say when you prove them wrong. :P
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When I started using MFP I didn't tell anyone outside of my dh and dd that I was working on losing weight. I live with them so they know. I still haven't told other people over a year later and weighing 25 lbs less. It is not a topic I am going to bring up or chat about.

Just remember that anyone who loses weight does so because they have a calorie deficit. They might do it by using a shake or a fad diet or working out 6 hours a day but it still comes down to calories. Doing basic calorie counting is easier than doing weird unsustainable things.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thats exactly why i dont want to do shakes...because its not teaching how to eat properly, so what happens when you go off them.would i love to lose 40 pounds in two months? hell ya i would, but i would rather lose 20 pounds in 2 months knowing i am doing it a sustainable way, even if it takes longer to lose the weight.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just stop talking about weight loss with them. Do MFP for a while, and once your neighbors and friends notice the results, tell them it was from MFP, and not shakes.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I didn't really talk to anyone about losing weight, I just did it. I wasn't losing weight for head pats and approval of others. I was losing weight for me.