Ladies what should a guy wear to the gym?

Options

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Wear what's comfortable. I tend to stay away from cotton fabrics because I sweat, a lot, and they tend to stick once they're soaked and don't breathe very well. I like the dri-fit athletic wear shirts that wick away sweat. As far as shorts are concerned, as long as you're not wearing those short short running shorts and trying to do other activities outside of running and your junks falling out, wear what suits you. I like mid-length athletic shorts because they allow freedom of movement but I don't have to worry about showing too much accidentally. Many have those inner piece that I like also. If you're going to be running, you might want to invest in some good shoes to protect your feet and keep from getting foot, knee or back injuries. I do feel bad for the guys with big beer guts that try to lift and their shirts just ride up and all the jiggly fun is just hanging out.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    I'm going with wear what you like.

If you are going to the gym to meet women, then...well...I got nothin'.

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or make them cringe.

So......why solicit the opinions of women then? Would not asking guys yield better results? You know, if comfort and performance and actual experience with wearing the clothing is something that's important to you?

Because women do the majority of eye rolling at the things that men wear.

As long as your shorts are long enough, not transparent, and don't show anything untoward when you do your exercises, you should be fine. Women really like clean looking clothes and lack of body odor too.

lol

You should totally listen to this chick. Men definitely care what she thinks about them at the gym.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    As long as your tackle.isnt swinging in the wind shorts are fine.....and possibly not tight lycra....there's a large guy in ours that wears ladies workout gear.....its an eye opener to say the least....

"tackle swinging in the wind" hahahahaha.

OP, whatever you want, but there's a lot of body builders at my gym who have taken to wearing the compression capri pants and nothing over it. That I find strange, especially when they have vibrant stitching outlining their sausage. Their pants just scream, "hey! Look at my d***"

I do not know these men in your gym, but I suspect that is part of their goal.

I listened to some podcast on why men wear ties and now I can no longer think about it being anything other than an arrow pointing at a man's d-.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    There's this one guy at my gym who wears solely white compression leggings. Most men wear basketball shorts over their compression leggings. He does not. Being that they're white, and he's pretty tanned, you can see EVERYTHING through those leggings. Including the underwear he forgets to wear.

It's really uncomfortable for everyone around him.

Please don't be that guy.

Unless he's "bumping" into people (rofl), what's the issue?

Women wear sports bras with cleavage showing (and sweat beads trickling down-- oh my, do the gods forgive me? :flushed:) and tights with camel toe on display but you won't hear anyone saying, "Don't be that woman."

No. You simply have a looksy, gather your composure, and move on with your workout.

As a man, I shouldn't have to wear shorts over my tights simply because grown adults can't handle the sight of bulge. Viva la revolucion. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Unless you are 7 feet tall, please don't wear those long baggy basketball shorts. Just above knee length is more proportionally attractive. On anyone shorter than 7 feet they make your legs disappear and you look like a trunk on shoes. Like this:
    otazewpe4c2m.jpg
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    There is kind of a double standard of what is socially acceptable in workout gear. Guys have to hide the bulge as much as possible while women can wear tight fitting clothes that crawls into every nook and cranny.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Stand in front of your wife in your proposed clothing. Do a couple of squats, jumping jacks and pushups. If she doesn't say "oh my gawd, you're not wearing that out anywhere are you?", you're golden.

Why would anyone care what their wife thinks? They already hit that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    There is kind of a double standard of what is socially acceptable in workout gear. Guys have to hide the bulge as much as possible while women can wear tight fitting clothes that crawls into every nook and cranny.

I don't think that's true. People definitely talk about what women wear, and not always admiringly. Even if some men are leering at it, there are other men, and women, who don't want to see it. I look in the mirror, and have my SO check out my down dog, before I wear a new pair of yoga pants at the gym. People at my gym are much too polite to say anything even remotely mean to anyone, and I don't want to force anyone to see things they'd rather not see, even accidentally.
  • DavPul
    Options

"have to"?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Ha! I love your phrasing.

Stand in front of your wife in your proposed clothing. Do a couple of squats, jumping jacks and pushups. If she doesn't say "oh my gawd, you're not wearing that out anywhere are you?", you're golden.

True. Why care about the cow when there are free milkshakes at the gym? Or something like that.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I wonder about this too. Like in tennis.

My preference is for guys to wear short shorts again so I can see their muscles. Especially soccer players!!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

If you want to hit it again you care
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Unless you are 7 feet tall, please don't wear those long baggy basketball shorts. Just above knee length is more proportionally attractive. On anyone shorter than 7 feet they make your legs disappear and you look like a trunk on shoes. Like this:
    otazewpe4c2m.jpg

Toddler pants.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm going with wear what you like.

If you are going to the gym to meet women, then...well...I got nothin'.

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or make them cringe.

If you are married then the only lady that you should be asking for clothing advice is your wonderful long suffering wife. If she sends you to the gym in an outfit that gets ridiculed, then you will know you are in the dog house and need to take corrective action.

Of course if your wife finds this thread, you better hope she reads more than just your initial post, because it reads like you want to pick up ladies at the gym but won't come out and say that's what you are up to.

I would suggest you wear your wedding ring to the gym, just to be on the safe side, in case she starts stalking your gym trips.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Wear what ever you are comfy in

DYELB wrote: »
    banana hammock

but not this .... never this!!!! LOL
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Dropping 50 pounds in the last year I decided to get some new gym wear mainly for strength training. I am not trying to meet women at the gym or anything like that, but I would like to know what some of you ladies think is proper gym attire for men that won't make you roll your eyes. I want it to be functional and comfortable, but it would be nice if it also looked good.
    Specifically, length and material of shorts, and just cotton t-shirt or some sort of performance fabric? As for shoes, I am kind of set on my Chuck Taylors.
    Also, anything to avoid completely would be helpful in my shopping this weekend.
    Thanks for your consideration.

As long as you're comfortable and nothing inappropriate is hanging out, wear whatever you want!

I see men in jeans and belts and button-down shirts sometimes, though, and that's a little strange. It makes me uncomfortable in that empathetic way, like, I feel sweaty and hot and confined on his behalf. lol But it's his workout, not mine, so whatevs.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    Dropping 50 pounds in the last year I decided to get some new gym wear mainly for strength training. I am not trying to meet women at the gym or anything like that, but I would like to know what some of you ladies think is proper gym attire for men that won't make you roll your eyes. I want it to be functional and comfortable, but it would be nice if it also looked good.
    Specifically, length and material of shorts, and just cotton t-shirt or some sort of performance fabric? As for shoes, I am kind of set on my Chuck Taylors.
    Also, anything to avoid completely would be helpful in my shopping this weekend.
    Thanks for your consideration.

As long as you're comfortable and nothing inappropriate is hanging out, wear whatever you want!

I see men in jeans and belts and button-down shirts sometimes, though, and that's a little strange. It makes me uncomfortable in that empathetic way, like, I feel sweaty and hot and confined on his behalf. lol But it's his workout, not mine, so whatevs.

Man it looks so uncomfortable when I see people doing cardio in jeans.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    my favorite was always the old corduroy OP short shorts from the 80s. Nothing crawls up your crack quite like those did. :) what were we thinking?
  • DavPul
    edited April 2016
    Options

I don't understand
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

This