Staying Focused

I am having the hardest time trying to stay focused making sure I'm eating correctly through out the day. I feel like I consume most of my calories during the day and when I get home I have very little to eat for dinner. I went to bed so hungry last night but I refused to over eat my calories. I am so determined to lose this weight, but so scared I am going to fail.. I know it's just a mental thing.. the struggle is so real..

Replies

• Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    I struggle with this as well. I have been upping my water intake to stay hydrated, and trying to keep track not only of my food, but which ones keep me fuller longer. For example, if I eat oatmeal for breakfast I am hungry much sooner than if I had Cheerios. Also, trying to get a decent amount of fiber. But I am looking forward to some helpful responses.
  • JuanSLOjourney
    JuanSLOjourney Posts: 62 Member
    I am in the same boat. It does not help that my job has me in a chair for 10hrs a day. My active watch hates me and always tells me to move!!! I have been switching up my baked goods for things like cantaloupe or oranges. Just so I can curb my sweet tooth and chew on something to satisfy the mental side!!
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Feeling hungry is not all about the amount of calories, it has a lot to do with the volume of the food you are eating. So whenever I don't have that many calories left for dinner, I eat high volume high fiber meals. Oatmeal is pretty good but steamed vegetables are the best. You can fill up your entire stomach with just 100 calories of steamed veggies. It's not exciting but you won't be hungry.
  • javiybrenda956
    javiybrenda956 Posts: 18 Member
    Try drinking a cup of water before you eat and another cup while you eating so you can feel full tricks you body into feeling full
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Maybe you need to change up your calories throughout the day to make room for more food later? What calories are you on? So many people try to drastically go to 1,200 calories and it burns them out. If you're that low i'd up the calories, adding an extra 100-200 calories is a lot better in the long run if it means you stick to your diet.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2016
    Do you have your weight loss get set too aggressively? If MFP is giving you 1200 calories to eat, odds are you do. If you have more calories and are just struggling trying to adjust to a lower volume of food, try to fill up on foods that are lower in calories. Non-starchy vegetables are great for that.

If you treat your calories like you would your money you can more effectively budget your calories. So another idea that might help is to pre-plan and pre-log what you're going to eat for the day. Doing this will allow you to make sure you're staying under your calorie goal for the entire day. It can help with self-discipline, too, because it's easier to tell yourself that if it's not already logged, you can't eat it. You can also more easily see that if you decide to have that brownie now you won't have enough calories for dinner.