Cold and Flu, Do You Continue To Restrict Calories?

Options
Gamliela
Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
I have come down with a cold or flu bug. Just the typical, sore throat, sinus congestion, cough.

So what do you do? I'm thinking of maybe going to maintenance calories. It could be the best thing for healing myself during this down time instead of eating less until I'm back to normal.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I focus on getting better. I don't track when sick.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Ahh. Thanks. That makes a world of sense.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I usually lose my appetite when I not well. If I don't, I still track with a goal of maintenance.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When you're sick, your best bet is to focus on getting better, not losing weight. Not saying go out and eat whatever you want, but if you go over a bit while recovering, that's fine. You need to make extra sure your body is getting the nutrition it needs to heal.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If your diet is already nutritionally sound, continuing it while sick will make no difference.

That said, I eat and drink (particularly bourbon, which makes my throat feel better) significantly more when I'm sick because it helps alleviate the misery.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I just stay on my deficit. I may eat a little more perhaps maintenance or so, but I try not to use it as an excuse to go all out. :wink:
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't track when sick. I usually eat more when I'm sick as well unless I have a fever/tummy issues.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I have only been sick once since starting mfp and I did log what I ate. I under ate that day because I tend to not have an appetite when I'm sick. But I wouldn't worry about it too much either way. As long as you get back to it when you feel better then you'll be fine.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If I'm under I don't worry by how much; if I'm hungry I eat within reason trying to keep as close to weekly maintenance as I can. If I go over that too I shrug my shoulders and move on. I've not gained weight from being sick, that's for sure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I stay at my calories but don't exercise... I use TDEE so it's pretty close to maintenance without exercise.

I never use being sick as an excuse to go nuts on fruit juices and other stuff I never eat or drink though (I just had a stomach bug... ate way more carbs than I usually do but still stayed under my calories and didn't touch ginger ale or sport drinks).
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I had a flu this winter and had to try really hard to eat anything...lived of yogurt and soup. One day my calories were so low I logged some chocolate i didn't even eat just so I would get it over 1000 kcal so I can finish that days diary entry :D Looking back tat was silly...but with high fever seemed like a good idea :D
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Yes, yogurt seems so comforting, soup too. I'm hitting about tdee, and no excersize, that would be crazy!
    Total couch Tater for two days.
    Ginger tea is helping. Maybe a few stretches might help the aching feelings, no more than that. I figure I don't have the energy to spare.
    Right on about not using it as an excuse to become like the cookie monster ar anything though.
    I'm not a fan of juices, but apple juice does have an attraction when these viruses come on.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am a special ed sub. Those little darlings will walk right up to you and sneeze full on in your face followed by a big hug. I love my work but I get EVERYTHING that travels through the public schools even with hand washing to the elbows and removing all my school clothing the moment I get home. So I know what I'm talking about!
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wondered this too. I was trying to log everything, and was naturally horrified at the amount of sugar in the Lucazade, and the honey in hot toddys I was drinking. In the end I felt so bad and guilty even though I told myself when this happens again I am not going to log: getting better and not ending up in hospital is more important.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I rarely get sick but if I did, I'd not worry about calories - plus my appetite goes when sick. Eat healthy, lots of fluids and listen to what your body wants. Rest. You can get back onto your plan once healthy again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Oh and I am a special ed sub. Those little darlings will walk right up to you and sneeze full on in your face followed by a big hug. I love my work but I get EVERYTHING that travels through the public schools even with hand washing to the elbows and removing all my school clothing the moment I get home. So I know what I'm talking about!

I can't even imagine. I was NEVER sick before having kids. Now I get sick 4x a year at least. And my kids get sick maybe once a year. That stomach bug I got? My daughter gave it to me and she was running around and eating normally after 12 hours. Both my husband and I have been pretty much down for 4 days now. And I wash my hands so often that they're completely dried out, even with lotion. I NEVER had a stomach bug before having kids.

So incredibly frustrating. But yeah, stomach bug aside, I'm one of those people who of course gets SO HUNGRY when she's hungry.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »

I can't even imagine. I was NEVER sick before having kids. Now I get sick 4x a year at least. And my kids get sick maybe once a year. That stomach bug I got? My daughter gave it to me and she was running around and eating normally after 12 hours. Both my husband and I have been pretty much down for 4 days now. And I wash my hands so often that they're completely dried out, even with lotion. I NEVER had a stomach bug before having kids.

So incredibly frustrating. But yeah, stomach bug aside, I'm one of those people who of course gets SO HUNGRY when she's hungry.

I have a friend who is a teacher at an elementary school for Pre-K thru 1st grade kids. She was walking a child to the office and holding his hand. The child reaches up and wiped his nose with her hand. I don't think I could be a teacher.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick my appetite is depressed and I have what feels like gallons of tea and quarts of spicy Asian soup. Staying under my calories isn't an issue.

And the only time I got sick last year was after going to my nephews' school play. Dratted incubators.
  • sammiewammie444
    sammiewammie444 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i dont restrict my calories when ill with a cold/flu. your body needs the extra energy