I want abs! Exercises?

Options
2»

Replies

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    10% (and anything below) requires pretty strict calorie tracking. 12-15% is pretty do-able with minimal calorie craze!

No. OP is female.

haha - beat me to it...lol
  • ConnorMacFarlane21
    ConnorMacFarlane21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    12-15% is where you'll have the subtle ab contours. Below that is where you really start to see definition.

That is for males. OP is female. 10% for a female is bodybuilding competition range.

I didn't suggest 10%. Was giving context. Around 15% would be good for your avg. person.
  • Pretty_Jewelz
    Pretty_Jewelz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    @ConnorMacFarlane21 you seem to be basing your comments on men's body fat percentages, women have a lot higher body fat percentages.

@Pretty_Jewelz to get your abs to pop you need to drop even more fat. You're not fat(!!!!) but like most people you have a thin layer of fat between your abs and your skin which prevents the abs from popping. In men this is often the last fat to disappear, and disappears when you hit very low body fat levels. If you google "women body fat percentage" images you can get some guidelines of when you'll see abs.

So, calorie deficit, and lifting heavy with a high protein diet to make sure you don't just lose a bunch of muscle as you cut your calories. If you do large compound lifts like squats and deadlifts you won't necessarily need to do ab specific exercises, but if you enjoy them you can do russian twists, planks, ab wheel rollouts, v situps, etc.

It's worth pointing out that if you get your body fat percentage of 19% from a scale, theres a good chance that its wrong because scales are very innacurate. It might be lower (unlikely significantly lower or you would be seeing abs), it might be higher, or it might actually be 19%. People could make edjucated guesses with pictures, but you can do the same with a mirror and comparisons to google image searches.

Ok I did use a scale for the body fat %. Now I'm sad I could have more than that
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    how did he not notice shes a lady?
  • Pretty_Jewelz
    Options
    I changed my profile pic which shows what I currently look like in the mid section if that helps any
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    @ConnorMacFarlane21 you seem to be basing your comments on men's body fat percentages, women have a lot higher body fat percentages.

@Pretty_Jewelz to get your abs to pop you need to drop even more fat. You're not fat(!!!!) but like most people you have a thin layer of fat between your abs and your skin which prevents the abs from popping. In men this is often the last fat to disappear, and disappears when you hit very low body fat levels. If you google "women body fat percentage" images you can get some guidelines of when you'll see abs.

So, calorie deficit, and lifting heavy with a high protein diet to make sure you don't just lose a bunch of muscle as you cut your calories. If you do large compound lifts like squats and deadlifts you won't necessarily need to do ab specific exercises, but if you enjoy them you can do russian twists, planks, ab wheel rollouts, v situps, etc.

It's worth pointing out that if you get your body fat percentage of 19% from a scale, theres a good chance that its wrong because scales are very innacurate. It might be lower (unlikely significantly lower or you would be seeing abs), it might be higher, or it might actually be 19%. People could make edjucated guesses with pictures, but you can do the same with a mirror and comparisons to google image searches.

Ok I did use a scale for the body fat %. Now I'm sad I could have more than that

It could still be 19%. If its not, well its just another number, and you have a plan to reach your goals, life is still good
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Based on your picture you should see some abs. Your body fat could drop slightly, but the real problem does come down to low abdominal muscle volume. Heavy compound lifts and weighted abdominal exercises could bring the volume up. Most of that comes down to genetics though. I have enough ab volume to see mine at 26% body fat without doing ab work and I have a friend who has a completely smooth stomach at 15% despite lots of ab work.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    might be harder to see abs with what looks like a whole belly tattoo
  • Pretty_Jewelz
    Options
    Yes totally fine just a bigger goal to conquer
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    12-15% is where you'll have the subtle ab contours. Below that is where you really start to see definition.

That is for males. OP is female. 10% for a female is bodybuilding competition range.

I didn't suggest 10%. Was giving context. Around 15% would be good for your avg. person.

No it wouldn't. No average woman is 15% BF.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lol, glad everyone got the bodyfat percentage worked out. I'm about 19 % too, and have some definition, but not what I would like. I am pretty sure for me it it is more about losing another percent or 2 bodyfat. At your size, I think you need to add muscle. I found a fantastic workout on bodybuilding.com that was the only thing that's been able to make my abs sore in a while. 3 sets of 8 different exercises. By the way, all of the workouts are great, not just the abs.

Crunch:3 sets of 15-20 reps

Cocoon: 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Butterfly crunch: 3 sets of
    15-20 reps

Bicycle: 3 sets of 15-20 each
    side reps

Bottoms-up: 3 sets of 15-20
    reps

Scissor kick: 3 sets of 15-20
    each side reps

Plank: 3 sets of 60-90 second
    hold

V-up: 3 sets of 15-20 reps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bikini-body-workout-4-weeks-to-your-best-body.html
  • Pretty_Jewelz
    Options
    sing809 wrote: »
    Lol, glad everyone got the bodyfat percentage worked out. I'm about 19 % too, and have some definition, but not what I would like. I am pretty sure for me it it is more about losing another percent or 2 bodyfat. At your size, I think you need to add muscle. I found a fantastic workout on bodybuilding.com that was the only thing that's been able to make my abs sore in a while. 3 sets of 8 different exercises. By the way, all of the workouts are great, not just the abs.

Crunch:3 sets of 15-20 reps

Cocoon: 3 sets of 15-20 reps

Butterfly crunch: 3 sets of
    15-20 reps

Bicycle: 3 sets of 15-20 each
    side reps

Bottoms-up: 3 sets of 15-20
    reps

Scissor kick: 3 sets of 15-20
    each side reps

Plank: 3 sets of 60-90 second
    hold

V-up: 3 sets of 15-20 reps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bikini-body-workout-4-weeks-to-your-best-body.html

Thank you! I'll definitely try those
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Assisted one arm pushups are a good core worker.
    Here is a You Tube video. As he's doing it, but raise the non elevated arm up. Make sure your elevated arm is straight, and that your weight is over it. It's basically a one arm assisted pushup with a non weighted row. My trainer has me do them, and they really work your core. As well as building upper body strength. You can use a medicine ball, or a piece of foam roughly 4" in height.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQG7lrF4M0s
  • JenniferSchaffer1
    JenniferSchaffer1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How can I tighten up my abs without doing crunches or setups? I am unable to do either one because of my lower back :(
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

The average man isn't even 15% BF, no idea where he is getting his stats from.
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    By "better" abs do mean a six pack or the vertical outlines a lot of fit women have?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How can I tighten up my abs without doing crunches or setups? I am unable to do either one because of my lower back :(

Reducing body fat is far more important for abs than crunches or situps anyway, but as someone who had lower back issues for decades I'm curious as to what is the problem with your lower back?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

This. Typically, you'll have to increase the volume of your abdominal muscles for them to pop once your body fat gets really low. Do heavy lifts on your ab routine instead of high repetition. Your abs are like any other muscle. Do cable crunches, hanging leg lifts for the lower abs, plenty of videos on bodybuilding.com and youtube for ab routines with heavy weights. Cutting off bodyfat is going to make a world of difference. The leaner you are, the more your abs will pop.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

See also http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/112/what-are-the-guidelines-for-percentage-of-body-fat
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

You work your abs all of the time, they are stabilizer muscles. Try cable crunches, it focuses specifically on your abs and you're not laying on your back. Cable twists, hanging leg lifts or suspended crunches. Is the pain caused by laying on your back?