portioning

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
this is probably a stupid question buuut. I never have done meal prep we eat a big verity of food... My husband is in Scotland for 9 days so im gonna just do some stir fry and rice for dinner for the next few days. I am so confused how to portion out the rice. Once its cooked how do I know how much to put in each day. I was just gonna cook it one portion at a time ha.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    2 things you could do. If you cook 5 portions for example divide it evenly into 5 containers by eyeballing it or to be more accurate, weigh the finished product, divide by 5, put that amount into each of your containers.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    According to exchange lists, 1/2 cup of cooked rice is a serving. I'd make it in advance and measure it out.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Measure out the serving size - usually about 1/2 cup I think. Check the box for the appropriate serving size and measure it. Most here will say to measure on a scale for the weight. I just measure out 1/2 cup.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think that really depends on how many calories you want to eat in a day or how you want to break them up.

Personally I find half a cup of cooked rice works great for lunches when I am having lots of veggies along side. I like dinner to be my largest meal of the day so if I have rice at dinner it tends to be 1 cup cooked.

You can literally do whatever works for you though, there is no right or wrong. If you end up with too much you can always freeze it too. If you cook up say 5 portions, you could always eyeball the portions once cooked or if you have a kitchen scale you could weigh it out too so you know you've got even amounts in each of your containers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    2 things you could do. If you cook 5 portions for example divide it evenly into 5 containers by eyeballing it or to be more accurate, weigh the finished product, divide by 5, put that amount into each of your containers.

This. If it's just you, eyeballing will even out if you eat it all. You can also weigh the final and write down how many grams a fifth of it is and measure that out each day if you don't have a variety of small containers or want to use them.
  • fishshark
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This. If it's just you, eyeballing will even out if you eat it all. You can also weigh the final and write down how many grams a fifth of it is and measure that out each day if you don't have a variety of small containers or want to use them.

i figured it would even out.. what i was going to do was weigh 5 portions dry... then weigh the cooked and divide that. For some reason it just didn't seem right. Friday-brain is off duty.
  • fishshark
    Options

i figured thats what I should do idk why it seemed wrong ha.