Losing belly/muffin top fat for Men.

Options
Hey there lovely community!

I've been working on losing weight/working out for the last 4 months and have seen middling results. I'm currently 5'11" and 168 pounds and maintaining a ~1900 calorie diet for those 4 months.

Now I want to lose belly and muffin top fat and am having trouble achieving this.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just keep going at it. You can't target one area to lose weight. It's probably where you store the most fat, so it's going to be the last place you lose it.

You're about my size ( I'm 5'10", 172lbs currently). I weight train 6 days a week for an hour or more and eat approx 3,000 calories a day to maintain weight. I just dropped to about 2,500 to cut.

You're only eating 1,900. Are you active? Or are you relying solely on CICO to lose?
  • Mottephobic
    Mottephobic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @drwilseyjr I work on my feet and play soccer once a week but otherwise am not very active. I relied mostly on calorie cutting to get to my current weight and am trying to focus more on maintaining weight and toning. I have tried a few ab sculpting regimes over the last 2 months and I feel stronger as a result but can't see a visible difference. At this point I'd like to burn fat and gain a little definition.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Calculate your calories requirements to gain muscle, lose fat.
    Start a structured, progressive load resistance program (could be body-weight, resistance bands or free weights)
    Recommended free weights programs: All Pro Beginners or SL 5x5

Should have mentioned, you can't spot reduce. Keep the direct ab work if you'd like, but focus on compound lifts.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You cannot tone muscles nor can you reveal a six pack without first cutting away the fat on top. You can increase the muscle mass of your abs by building them progressively while on in a surplus. But you cannot target them through exercise in hopes to reveal them. Eat at a deficit and slowly cut away your fat.

I couldn't imagine eating 1900 calories a day. I'm just about to start cutting at 3000 calories on work days. 2700 on weekends
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You cannot tone muscles nor can you reveal a six pack without first cutting away the fat on top. You can increase the muscle mass of your abs by building them progressively while on in a surplus. But you cannot target them through exercise in hopes to reveal them. Eat at a deficit and slowly cut away your fat.

I couldn't imagine eating 1900 calories a day. I'm just about to start cutting at 3000 calories on work days. 2700 on weekends

I was eating 3,000 calories just to maintain weight. I'm in a cut now (plus going on a vacation) and eating about 2,500. I'd be starving on 1,900.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

I was eating 3,000 calories just to maintain weight. I'm in a cut now (plus going on a vacation) and eating about 2,500. I'd be starving on 1,900.

Oh to have a good metabolism. 5'-8", 182lbs and my body won't cut on anything less that about 1800-1900 gross calories (1500 net after exercise). Just saying, not all of us are the same and if you're not losing on your current calories, you probably need to lower them. Sucks for some of us.