Frozen fish

Options
Hey lovely people! Happy friday! I am working on my meal plan to go shopping tomorrow. and I want to incorporate more fish ... I can never cook it right..it gets watery and honestly its awful. I try to purchase the wild caught ect but its not in my budget to buy fresh.(cant wait to fish for my own!) Where I live its around 25 or more sometimes for not the biggest portions so I prefer to stick with frozen...tips and tricks/kinds of fish to work with plz. Any tips would be great.

Replies

• hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Soups! Not necessarily heavy chowders, but lighter, broth-based fish soups can be wonderful.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Frozen salmon and frozen tilapia are what I keep on hand. Either steam or griddle will do well.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I buy the flash frozen varieties at Costco all of the time! Even some of the pre-seasoned ones are not too bad calorie wise (the pesto tilapia is awesome!). I will typically follow the cooking directions on the bag...add some lemon, salt and pepper and enjoy! It is also good with Teriyaki sauce (small amount) if you have the calories to spare for it. Tonight we had salmon, my husband made a marinade with soy sauce, Dijon mustard and garlic. Then he bbq'd it. It was good!
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I buy the olivia brand from costco I believe...i wish I could enjoy salmon but its not my thing. I like haddock..cod..sometimes rainbow trout and now basa.
  • MissMonicaC4
    Options
    Oh thats a nice idea. Ill half to find a steaming contraption :) haha
  • lisamschinella
    lisamschinella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I buy shrink wrapped. Costco has great brand. Defrost in cold water. Season well. Add lemon and fresh herbs. I rinse and dry fish. Spray with olive oil then season.then fry on medium heat with teaspoon olive oil.

Hey lovely people! Happy friday! I am working on my meal plan to go shopping tomorrow. and I want to incorporate more fish ... I can never cook it right..it gets watery and honestly its awful. I try to purchase the wild caught ect but its not in my budget to buy fresh.(cant wait to fish for my own!) Where I live its around 25 or more sometimes for not the biggest portions so I prefer to stick with frozen...tips and tricks/kinds of fish to work with plz. Any tips would be great.

• MissMonicaC4
    Options
    I think defrosting first could help and patting any moisture off. Ive just been tossing it in the oven and letting it go. Ill add spices of course but yah haha fish is not my specialty. I will try this week though.
  • lisamschinella
    lisamschinella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This works great for me. I use olive oil spray on stovetop and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until it starts to split a little bit or flaky. Hope this helps.
  • Taraven87
    Taraven87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen tilapia at Costco and I actually cook it in the microwave! I used to steam it on the stove top, but I think it turns out just as good (maybe better?) using this method, and it's so fast. I was pretty dubious that this would work but read some rave reviews online when I searched "microwave fish" and figured I had nothing to lose, and now it's my go-to method. Believe me, I don't typically think of cooking meat in the microwave...

You don't thaw your fish, just take it out of the package and put it in a microwave-safe dish (I use a glass pyrex dish) and put some liquid in the bottom (I use the juice of one lemon; you could try lime juice or white wine, I bet!). I season mine with Singapore Spice seasoning from Penzey's and some salt and pepper (haha again, use whatever spices you like) then cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave until done. In my pretty powerful microwave, this takes about 5 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish filet. It always comes out really moist and flavorful, and cooks more evenly than when I steam it in a steamer on a pot of boiling water. Great with a salad for a fast meal!
  • MissMonicaC4
    Options
    Ohh now that looks pretty awesome! Thanks
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Salmon, patted dry, seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat oven to 450. Heat up a tsp of Olive Oil in cast iron or any oven safe pan until it hits it's smoke point. Put it on the piping hot pan skin side up for 90 seconds, and flip and put on the hot oven for 7 minutes.

It'll be just how you want it
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish tacos! not with fried fish though. I saute tilapia with garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and chili powder (you don't even need oil because of the water from the fish). I also make a really good sour cream (fat free) sauce with lime juice, paprika, and cilantro. Add lettuce, tomato and onion and its a full meal. SOO good with black beans and rice! I've also used the leftover fish / sour cream sauce in salad the next day.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I bake or pan fry mine, use a dry spice mix rather than a sauce.
  • cmstanford1952
    cmstanford1952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Using either a microwave or in a pan on the stove, I have poached frozen tilapia or flounder in some orange juice, then discard the OJ and garnish with some fresh orange slices. This means no extra oil. When I have tried cooking frozen fish in the microwave dry, it comes out tough and unappetizing. Even just a little low sodium vegetable broth is good for microwave poaching. I don't bother with eating the broth. I've done the vegetable broth poaching with salmon and it was moist and flaky when done.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Most all fish is frozen at some point. It's put on ice on the fishing boats and unless you live near the ocean and/or caught it yourself, you don't really know. We mostly buy frozen filets but will hit our fishmonger or Asian grocery for whole fish to grill.
  • MissMonicaC4
    Options
    All these ideas are making me hungry :p haha
  • milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I put my frozen fish in foil parcels topped with lemon, onion, parsley and oregano, then bake in the oven. So quick and easy
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I buy the flash frozen varieties at Costco all of the time! Even some of the pre-seasoned ones are not too bad calorie wise (the pesto tilapia is awesome!). I will typically follow the cooking directions on the bag...add some lemon, salt and pepper and enjoy! It is also good with Teriyaki sauce (small amount) if you have the calories to spare for it. Tonight we had salmon, my husband made a marinade with soy sauce, Dijon mustard and garlic. Then he bbq'd it. It was good!

yes us too but I do it all in a foil packet and put in oven for five to six minutes. or so.. its done when it flakes with fork. doesnt take long really. if you must go with frozen: i suggest the gordons grill filets. they have a tasty blackened one.