Does increased exercise really make you gain this much?

Options
I got weighed at the doctors on Tuesday. I wasn't happy but accepted it. I started my routine on good Friday and so far have gone from 17st to 16.11. I thought my scales were accurate as they were the same as the doctors. However, at the doctors I was fully clothed having had breakfast, lunch and a few glasses of water. At home I weighed myself pre-food and pre-clothed.
I weighed myself this morning and seem to fluctuate between 16.12 and 17.03. My scales are clearly messed up. But that aside...how could I have gained weight. I know we fluctuate a bit daily.

So exercise wise. This week I have done 2 days of 50 length swims. A brisk 1 hour and a half walk and 3 days of 50-60 squats.
Is the amount of exercise causing me to gain weight?

Thanks

Dani

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you close to your TOM?

Yes increased in exercise/intensity can make you retain water which can show as a gain on the scale. Increased sodium can cause water retention. Where you are in your cycle can also cause water retention.
  • daniellefjacob
    daniellefjacob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Currently on TOM but it's always been irratic and light. Without giving TMI I'm on pills that mean it's my first TOM in a year and a half. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The most accurate reading is naked in the morning. You can fluctuate by many lbs throughout the day dependent on food/water intake and clothes.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    First, don't compare weight between scales especially if on is first thing in the morning and naked and the other is after eating and drinking while clothed. Scales are not that accurate. By that I mean the weight one scale measures you at, and what another would measure you at, even if the same type of scale and the same time/conditions will not necessarily be the same. Scales are for a trend in weight. Adding the food, drink, and clothing just adds to the confusion.

Second, if you scale is not consistent in weighing you, maybe you need a new scale. However, if you are weighing daily, fluctuations, even big ones from day to day are completely normal. What you are interested in is whether there is an overall downward trend. There are apps and webpages to show that. Otherwise once a week might be better.

Third, weight on the scale only tells part of the story. Take measurements and photos so that every 3-4 weeks you can check what your progress is in terms of measurements and look. Also pay attention to whether your clothes are getting looser.

This is not a quick thing. If you just started on Good Friday it is likely that even what fat you lost could be masked by water weight that can result in 4 or even 6 pound fluctuations in your weight day to day. Log your food at carefully as you can, and be patient.
  • daniellefjacob
    daniellefjacob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Exercise wise am I doing ok?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I got weighed at the doctors on Tuesday. I wasn't happy but accepted it. I started my routine on good Friday and so far have gone from 17st to 16.11. I thought my scales were accurate as they were the same as the doctors. However, at the doctors I was fully clothed having had breakfast, lunch and a few glasses of water. At home I weighed myself pre-food and pre-clothed.
    I weighed myself this morning and seem to fluctuate between 16.12 and 17.03. My scales are clearly messed up. But that aside...how could I have gained weight. I know we fluctuate a bit daily.

All those things have weight ... including food and water.

Try this experiment.

Get up in the morning and weigh yourself pre-food and pre-clothed.
    Drink 500 ml of water.
    Weigh yourself again.
    Chances are, you went up 500 grams.
    You haven't gained weight, but you've added 500 ml into your body ... an hour or so later, that should be gone.

So if you had a few glasses of water and hadn't used the toilet before you went to your Dr ... the weight of the water would be in you.

If you want to compare your scales with the Drs more accurately, weigh yourself in the clothing you'll be wearing to the Dr. Get the Dr appointment early in the morning. Don't eat or drink anything before you go. The two scales should be close.

And as for your own scales ... make sure you are weighing yourself on solid ground (hard surface, not carpet), and always at the same time of day and under the same conditions.