Get ride of Cellulite

Options
2»

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies. When my bodyfat % is down around 22% or lower, my cellulite goes away. I lift heavy and do not, by any definition of the word, eat "clean."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just a note: how you eat doesn't affect cellulite. If you have it, it's because of GENETICS. No amount of "clean" eating changes genetics.
    Reduce cellulite by reducing your body fat. And the main thing you need for that is a calorie deficit. How you achieve that is personal, but "clean" eating isn't necessary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I have horrible cellulite that totally disappears when I have the staying power to get my body fat down to athletic levels. Is that a genetic trait? I think everyone can get themselves to a point where cellulite goes away.
    I would say so since body fat percentage would dictate how cellulite appears, and for groups of people those percentages vary.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I found some great butt and leg workout especially for this problem on You Tube. It helped me a lot.
    Strengthening the muscles in glutes and legs will help with the muscle underneath by possibly "pushing" against the skin to help create a smoother look, but as has been mentioned body fat percentage is the more relevant issue for cellulite. And directly working a body part doesn't reduce fat in that area (also know as "spot reduction").

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As a side note...I almost don't trust a woman over 25 that doesn't have cellulite.....they must be alien or something. :wink:

dt8gcfvpf27l.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Niner, I hadn't realized you were so dedicated to the study of cellulite and its devastating cosmetic consequences. I'm impressed :smile:
    I personally like to have knowledge on the concerns that most people have when trying to improve their physiques and fitness. Honestly, I find biology and physiology fascinating since I'm pretty much a nerd first before a trainer.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Niner, I hadn't realized you were so dedicated to the study of cellulite and its devastating cosmetic consequences. I'm impressed :smile:
    I personally like to have knowledge on the concerns that most people have when trying to improve their physiques and fitness. Honestly, I find biology and physiology fascinating since I'm pretty much a nerd first before a trainer.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Women discuss the cottage cheese on their thighs with you? I'd be much too embarrassed to discuss that subject with a very fit male individual. I would discuss it with Kirstie Alley. Not you though, no offense.

I don't know, I talk about these things with fit men. I know a lot who are in the weight room trying to improve their bodies as well. It's pretty obvious we are all not perfect.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Women discuss the cottage cheese on their thighs with you? I'd be much too embarrassed to discuss that subject with a very fit male individual. I would discuss it with Kirstie Alley. Not you though, no offense.

I would totally discuss cellulite with my trainer. I'd be curious about what happened with his other female clients as they got fit.

Lyle McDonald's female clients discuss their menstrual cycles with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I would totally discuss cellulite with my trainer. I'd be curious about what happened with his other female clients as they got fit.

Lyle McDonald's female clients discuss their menstrual cycles with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k

Yep. Some men know more about women's cycles and bodies than many women know lol.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've heard dry brushing can help i+ u burn calories with this light cardio activity
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    I've heard dry brushing can help i+ u burn calories with this light cardio activity

Are you from 1983?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Getting to a low bf% and building muscle helps, but it's mostly dictated by genetics, as ninierbuff said.
    As a side note, even Jillian Michaels has cellulite. So, yeah. Crappy genetics.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting and getting to a lower bf% has helped mine. It is not as noticeable, but some is still there and it really bothers me. In my case it is genetic and I don't think it will ever completely disappear.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I heard a supplement Gotu Kola is suppose to help. I just started taking it. Not sure yet.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Niner is right. The cellulite will never ever be "gone". The appearance of it can be minimized by reducing body fat. The lower your body fat, the less likely it will be apparent because the fat cells aren't being puckered against the overlying skin. It's not the cells themselves that's the problem, it's the connective tissues between the cell walls of the fat cells. That is why you can't get rid of it. It is a genetic thing. Reducing your body fat and increasing your lean muscle mass in the area will reduce the visibility of it. Increasing muscle mass will cause the overlying skin to pull tighter to the body and reducing body fat will lessen the expansion of the fat cell upward against the skin.
  • AnneCoolbreze
    AnneCoolbreze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping lowering BF will help! I'm at 23.7% and working on getting it lower. :smiley:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I heard a supplement Gotu Kola is suppose to help. I just started taking it. Not sure yet.

Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) has been used to treat many conditions for thousands of years in India, China, and Indonesia. It was used to heal wounds, improve mental clarity, and treat skin conditions such as leprosy and psoriasis.

Some people use it to treat respiratory infections, such as colds, and in the past it was used for that in China. It has been called "the fountain of life" because legend has it that an ancient Chinese herbalist lived for more than 200 years as a result of taking gotu kola.

Historically, gotu kola has also been used to treat syphilis, hepatitis, stomach ulcers, mental fatigue, epilepsy, diarrhea, fever, and asthma. Today, in the U.S. and Europe gotu kola is most often used to treat varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency, a condition where blood pools in the legs. It is also used in ointments to treat psoriasis and help heal minor wounds.
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/gotu-kola
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-753-gotu kola.aspx?activeingredientid=753&

In other words, Gotu Kola is not for burning fat. In fact, I wouldn't take it OTC unless it was doctor recommended because of the issues it's supposed to cure. No issue = No taking it.

Back to the OP, as other's have said, genetics. That thing we have no control over. :frowning: Follow the other advise of strength for helping the appearance as best as you can otherwise!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I quit remotely caring about cellulite when my fitness buff running fanatic size 2 cousin (5'7") showed me hers. Genetics. Not worth tearing myself down over when I can spend that time and energy doing better things.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) has been used to treat many conditions for thousands of years in India, China, and Indonesia. It was used to heal wounds, improve mental clarity, and treat skin conditions such as leprosy and psoriasis.

Some people use it to treat respiratory infections, such as colds, and in the past it was used for that in China. It has been called "the fountain of life" because legend has it that an ancient Chinese herbalist lived for more than 200 years as a result of taking gotu kola.

Historically, gotu kola has also been used to treat syphilis, hepatitis, stomach ulcers, mental fatigue, epilepsy, diarrhea, fever, and asthma. Today, in the U.S. and Europe gotu kola is most often used to treat varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency, a condition where blood pools in the legs. It is also used in ointments to treat psoriasis and help heal minor wounds.
    http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/gotu-kola
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-753-gotu kola.aspx?activeingredientid=753&

In other words, Gotu Kola is not for burning fat. In fact, I wouldn't take it OTC unless it was doctor recommended because of the issues it's supposed to cure. No issue = No taking it.

Wow, seems to treat so much, Thanks for the info.