How many calories do I eat?

Options
momagent
momagent Posts: 16 Member
Can someone tell me when entering your info on the activity level do you put your level now sedentary? Or because I just signed up with a personal trainer and will be working out 4-5 days a week.? Do you put that level? I just don't want to eat too little. Right now I'm on 1200-1300. Should I adjust this now?

Thanks

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't take working out into consideration when setting activity level. I'm at the gym an average of 6 days a week but I work at an office so I put my activity level as sedentary. It's all trial and error though. If you're not making noticeable progress after a couple of weeks, adjust your intake accordingly!
  • momagent
    Options
    Ok thanks! I was so confused when it came to that part.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    As Ricky says, it's a matter of trial and error. Set your weight loss goal to something sustainable (many people start our aggressively and can't stick to it....1200 is sometimes very aggressive and unnecessary). In a month or so, check to see what your weekly average weight loss is. If its what you set as a weight loss goal, you're on the mark. If you're losing more, you can up your calories. If you're losing less, check your logging; there's probably weighing/measuring errors occurring.
    Set yourself to sedentary, add your exercise calories but half the calorie burn that MFP gives you (to be safe). Eat that many calories (sedentary rate + the 1/2 exercise calories).
  • momagent
    Options
    Ok then you should eat half you exercise calories back ?
  • nettielouisepierson
    Options
    I like to not include my workouts in with my calorie intake. I know it will give me more back but I have seen a steady 2-3 lbs a week loss with 1490 calorie a day and not documenting any of my workout on this app. I keep up with my miles and steps on fitbit.
    Good Luck :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, MFP already calculates a calorie deficit so that you'll lose weight. These calories (your daily limit) will fuel your body to work as it should in a healthy manner.
    Exercise needs to be fueled and not take away from the fuel your body needs to work, so you have to eat more to fuel your exercise. The problem is to know how much. Most people will say that MFP's exercise calories are about double what you actually use. So, a good rule of thumb is to half the calories and eat those back. It's the healthy way.
    If, after tracking your progress for 4-5 weeks, you find that you are losing more than your goal, adjust your daily calorie limit up. Eat more rather than lose more. The reason for this is that if you are eating too little, you risk the possibility of losing muscle instead of fat. You want to lose fat; you want to keep muscle. Don't lose weight too quickly.
    You can do this in a healthy, sustainable way that will last a lifetime and keep your body healthy and strong.
  • momagent
    Options
    Thanks