Useless Fact of the Day

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    jmatty_ice wrote: »
    Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it.

Sort of,

A stick of celery contains about six calories; chewing and digesting it will only take half a calorie. However, the rest of your metabolism doesn't stop just because you are eating celery and a 2016 study found that a stick of celery provides 19 fewer calories than you normally burn during the time you are eating it.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    jmatty_ice wrote: »
    Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it.

Sort of,

A stick of celery contains about six calories; chewing and digesting it will only take half a calorie. However, the rest of your metabolism doesn't stop just because you are eating celery and a 2016 study found that a stick of celery provides 19 fewer calories than you normally burn during the time you are eating it.

This make celery useless in my book.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Eating yellow snow is a bad idea.
  • cee134
    Options
    ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ are opposites, but ‘being up for something’ and ‘being down for something’ are the same.
  • cee134
    Options
    Homework was considered hugely controversial in the 1800's and early 1900's, when physicians crusaded against it, in 1901, California even banned homework for anyone under the age of 15.
  • cee134
    Options
    Homework was considered hugely controversial in the 1800's and early 1900's, when physicians crusaded against it, in 1901, California even banned homework for anyone under the age of 15.

It’s still controversial with some research indicating that it is counterproductive to learning, rest, and family health in the younger grades.

I agree with this. I don't think it helps, it only keeps kids busy so they don't go buy candy or whatever kids do today.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    Options

It’s still controversial with some research indicating that it is counterproductive to learning, rest, and family health in the younger grades.

I agree with this. I don't think it helps, it only keeps kids busy so they don't go buy candy or whatever kids do today.

Yes, it cuts into the time the children have to spend quality time watching YouTube videos on playing videos games.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    Options

Yes, it cuts into the time the children have to spend quality time watching YouTube videos on playing videos games.

Woo

Woo woo

...says the train....
  • redneck8814
    redneck8814 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    cq9khm63bk3q.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    Filming Star Wars in Tunisia was hindered by the first major rainstorm in 50 years, and The Empire Strikes Back filming in Norway was hindered by the worst winter storm in 50 years.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    Options
    Uranus was discovered by William Herschel in his back garden on New King Street, Bath,
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Lots of things are apparently considered dangerous in California. I have seen the California Proposition 65 warning label on almost everything I've used for remodeling my house...
    It goes something like this
    ⚠️WARNING This product can expose you to chemicals including
    which are know in California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
    The most current list I could find had 843 things listed under CA proposition 65. Most were chemical type names but Aloe Vera and wood dust made the list as well.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »

Lots of things are apparently considered dangerous in California. I have seen the California Proposition 65 warning label on almost everything I've used for remodeling my house...
    It goes something like this
    ⚠️WARNING This product can expose you to chemicals including
    which are know in California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
    The most current list I could find had 843 things listed under CA proposition 65. Most were chemical type names but Aloe Vera and wood dust made the list as well.

This is ironicallly funny.
    Nize.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    A pudu is a miniature deer in South America, 12 inches high.

As seen on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes

Thus
    Makin’ Bacon!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    “A nut for a jar of tuna” is the same backwards.

TACO CAT :grimace:
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    Every birthday party for a dog is a surprise birthday party.

@cee134

Shouldn’t a dog get seven birthdays in one year?