Useless Fact of the Day

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Hershey Kisses are called kisses because the machine that makes them looks like
    it is kissing the conveyor belt.

Are they? I watched a documentary on the Hershey factory and I don't recall the conveyor kissing part. Which part of the process is it? They fill up a tray like ice cube trays

The Hershey Kisses were first introduced in 1907. It is believed that the candy was named Kisses because of the sound and motion made by machine while depositing the chocolate.

Ah ok. What did they plan to call them when they made the machines to produce them?

Well:

The fact is, back in 1907 you had your choice of kisses. There were generic flavored kisses like Cocoanut Kisses, Molasses Kisses, Nut Kisses, simple candies that anyone might make. Then there were the fanciful brand name Kisses: Sun Bonnet Kisses (National Candy Co, Chicago); Miller’s Violet Kisses (George Miller & Son, Philadelphia); Blue Bell Kisses (Robt. F. Mackenzie Co, Cleveland), Honey Corn Kisses (Wm. J. Madden & Co NY); Nethersole Kisses, Moonlight Kisses (United States Candy Co, Cleveland); Elfin Kisses (Caldwell Sweet Co, Bangor Maine); Heckerman’s Lucky Kisses: 5 cent box “assorted selected flavors.” My personal favorite wasn’t around in 1907, but I’ll mention it anyway since we’re on the topic of Kisses. The Novelty Candy Company offered around 1915 a pack of three flavors, cinnamon, molasses, and vanilla called Tom, Dick and Harry Kisses, “the kiss you can’t afford to miss.”

So when Hershey’s came up with a little bite of chocolate, calling it a “chocolate kiss” was sort of obvious. A candy “kiss” was just another name for a small bite sized candy, typically something with a softer texture. There were lots of other names for small bite sized candy at the time: drops, buttons, blossoms, balls. There was nothing at all special in 1907 about the name “chocolate kiss.”
  • cee134
    Options
    In other words, it had nothing to do with the machines.
  • TMacKtwenty4
    TMacKtwenty4 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Options
    Roses may be red, but violets are indeed violet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Roses may be red, but violets are indeed violet.

nice.. :)

green houses are not green either..
  • cooperjeff488
    cooperjeff488 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When someone says they are feeling blue, I am amazed!! How can some people feel colors?
  • HMD112
    HMD112 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Last year there where more people killed taking selfies than there were in shark attacks B)
  • cee134
    Options
    The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    The unreasonable fear of long words is called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
  • cee134
    Options
    When someone says they are feeling blue, I am amazed!! How can some people feel colors?

kjwz6oaouakx.gif
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “Its A Wonderful Life”
  • cee134
    Options
    There are at least two golf balls on the moon.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Calico cats are almost always females.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Calico cats are almost always females.

I actually knew this one! Another fact: (I may be making this one up) but all cats are *kitten*, male or female!
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Another fact: (I may be making this one up) but all cats are *kitten*, male or female!

This is true.
    So verrry true.

• cee134
    Options
    The oldest known customer service complaint —which was about inferior copper ingots— was written on a clay tablet in Mesopotamia 4000 years ago.
  • TMacKtwenty4
    TMacKtwenty4 Posts: 3,256 Member
    Options
    -40 degrees is the same in Celsius and Farenheit.

It's still fricken cold
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I am going to Modern Round tonight on a double date with a buddy of mine who is in a certain branch of Federal government that has something to do with national security, and such, so I expect Imma get pwned on shooting scores. However, I ain't without some certain tactical skills.