Social life since starting diet

Options
2»

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad that someone so young is putting her social life on hold because she's trying to lose weight.

Eating out with friends and family is part of life. Unless you want to avoid social situations forever, you have to learn to incorporate them into your plan, There are many ways you can do this:
    • Eat less during the day, saving your calories for when you go out;
    • Exercise more that day, earning some more calories;
    • When it comes to alcohol, limit yourself to one drink, then switch to seltzer or plain water;
    • Eat half of your entree and take the rest home.

Giving up something that is so easily managed is a bit extreme, IMO. Weight loss should be a part of your life, not your whole life. No need to hide yourself away while you're losing.
  • balle1965
    balle1965 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I haven't eaten flour or sugar since Thanksgiving weekend 2013. I am not as young as you are, however, there are many different ways to stay on your food plan/healthy eating/diet/whatever you choose to call it. I either a. eat my dinner before meeting up with friends or b. like other people have said, pick healthy choices at the restaurant. I usually have a Fajita plate (no beans, some rice, no tortillas, extra grilled veggies) at a Mexican restaurant. I make sure the chip plate is not near me. And I can totally relate to what seems like you are sacrificing your social life. I've had to adjust my eating habits but when I am with friends and family, I can focus on them and not the food. You are doing great, you will find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • ikurc786
    ikurc786 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, i feel your pain
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do find myself trying to suggest alternate activities or including some kind of walk before or after a meal if possible. Otherwise I have to be able to maintain my social life and work my new lifestyle choices into that. Do I go way over my daily goals sometimes, sure, but that isn't going to stop me. Feel free to check out my diary. I've eaten out quite a bit lately and am making real progress.
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've actually found my social life has just changed - my friends circle has shifted some to people who prefer to go out for a hike or pack a picnic to go to a winery, instead of people who want to hang out at the bar or burger joint all the time. I see it as a positive as I'm spending more time with people who have similar lifestyle goals. Not to say I've ditched the bar or burgers, but it is much less frequent. :wink:
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't go to the bars no more or out to eat. Hell I skipped easter dinner cause trying to stay on track.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    my social life is actually better than before. But I actually made sure the close friends and family I usually hang out with know of the changes I'm trying to do in my life and are extremely supportive of me. My health is more important to them than the fact that I have to limit my intake of certain foods and had to ban alcohol completely (liver problems at far too young an age).

The game afternoons/evenings now include veggies and dip with homemade ice teas as snacks instead of chips and beer. We go for walks along the river for gossip times instead of the café where we'd eat cakes and drink overly sweet coffee drinks. The stop at the McDonalds is still included on the move night out, but instead of getting a meal per person, we end up sharing a bunch of nuggets and fries between the group. We'll meet a someone's flat and cook together instead of going to the restaurant.

Close friends and family should understand that you need to change something for the sake of your health.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't go to the bars no more or out to eat. Hell I skipped easter dinner cause trying to stay on track.

So, no holidays, special events, or evenings out with friends? Well, that sounds....fulfilling.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I'm not a sociable person, dieting has made zero difference to my social life.

Lol yep. Except Holidays, and I just don't really care about calories those days anyway and enjoy the food!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Mine is actually better now because I don't have to decline invitations to places I'm not familiar with in fear of not fitting into chairs.

I try not to be the party grinch. I eat and drink (occasionally, I'm a very light drinker) and enjoy my time. I don't ever see myself as the person who brings their own food to a social gathering and sits in the corner munching on salad or plays with their food pretending to eat. Why torture myself and attract negative attention when I can both manage my weight and have a good time if I plan it correctly? If it's something VERY food heavy, like a birthday, I give myself a maintenance day and sometimes work out extra to give myself even more calorie leeway.