Transitioning from 2lbs Loss a Week to 1lb Loss a Week to Maintenance

Canadian1970
Canadian1970 Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hello All,

I lost 20.5 lbs between January 26 and April 6th. From 198.5 to 178.0 lbs. My goal is about 170-175.

So I transitioned from the 2lb per week loss setting to the 1 pound per week setting to save from loosing muscle and celebrate a bit.

But now it seems I gained several pounds just in the past 3 days, tipping 180 again!

:(

Is this just extra food in my gut?

Feels really distressing to be going backwards.

Any advice?

Replies

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    I remember losing 5 pounds that first week.
    OK, so I have 100 pounds to lose....divided by 5...equals...uh...33 - no, uh, 20!
    So, in 20 weeks, I'll be at goal weight!
    REALITY CHECK!
    It took 2 years... :*
    And the good news is that I kept the weight off going on 5 years now. NO YOYO DIETING OR REGAIN!

MFP encourages us all to engage slow, steady and lasting results. Good luck to you! <3
  • Canadian1970
    Well, to be honest, it has been pretty linear.

Every week over the past 10 weeks I followed MFP and while some weeks 1 pound came off and other weeks 3 pounds came off, overall it was a tad over 2 pounds per week. Just as MFP predicted.

But now, having changed the setting from 2 pounds per week to 1, I actually gained weight. Admittedly, over only half a week. Wednesday to Saturday.

So my question is: is it normal for weight to increase temporarily when we change the PACE of weight loss, as in slowing down the rate of loss?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    It's normal to gain and lose weight throughout the week because of fluid retention for a number of different reasons. Did you increase your sodium intake or exercise? Some of the gain could be glycogen replenishment. Did you weigh before or after a BM?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    To gain 2 pounds you would need to eat 7500 calories over your maintenance. You know that didn't happen. It is extra waste in your system, extra water weight from the increased food. You are still eating at a 1 pound deficit. Your weight will even out, just give it a little time.

In maintenance my weight regularly fluctuates by 2 pounds. It can fluctuate more than that from the combination of eating a heavy meal, higher sodium, monthly hormonal changes. It is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about.
  • Canadian1970
    Thanks guys. I figured it was probably just extra food, waste, fluid, etc. It was pretty shocking but yes it's the only explanation. No real change in exercise, except was pretty sedentary yesterday, more than usual. Hopefully the calorie calibration isn't too crazy.

What's it like in maintenance? It must be hard to stay within the range. Is it harder to loose focus, no longer trying to loose or gain weight?

I was thinking to maintain it might be best to set MFP to 0.5 pound loss per week, and just be sure to go a little over the calories. Or instead, set it maintenance, and just aim to plus or minus a couple hundred calories ever day. I dunno.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    What's it like in maintenance? It must be hard to stay within the range. Is it harder to loose focus, no longer trying to loose or gain weight?

I was thinking to maintain it might be best to set MFP to 0.5 pound loss per week, and just be sure to go a little over the calories. Or instead, set it maintenance, and just aim to plus or minus a couple hundred calories ever day. I dunno.

I found I really didn't like going over the calories I'm allotted, so after continuing to lose once I set my goal to maintain, I finally have changed my goal to gain 0.5 pounds per week. Now, I don't really want to gain that much (or at least not that fast), but I do want to gain a few pounds very slowly. It also seems to be helping me come closer to maintaining (I've been in a 6 pound range the last 6 months).
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Thanks guys. I figured it was probably just extra food, waste, fluid, etc. It was pretty shocking but yes it's the only explanation. No real change in exercise, except was pretty sedentary yesterday, more than usual. Hopefully the calorie calibration isn't too crazy.

I find it to be about the same as being in a deficit. Pretty easy most days. Occasionally I want to eat everything I see but am pretty good at staying within my calorie limits. Every 2-3 weeks I have a larger calorie day (going out to eat, family events) with no lasting changes on the scale.

Why not change focus on some fitness goals? Eat to fuel your new goals.
  • Canadian1970
    edited April 2016
    Staying within a six pound range seems pretty good to me. Good job.

High calorie days are a good idea. Most Saturdays I eat way over, esp. pizza!

Yes, I want to focus on fitness goals. I'm waiting for a bicep tear to heal, which occurred last December, and am started working on the diet a bit. That's why I had to loose weight with diet; can't workout much.

So yeah once the bicep is better, I'll get back to kickboxing, MMA, swimming, etc. Those big 2 hour workouts burn a lot of calories. So how to nourish the body without gaining too much fat (or muscle for that matter) as I age will be a challenge.