What's your motivation?

Options
DesOdhi
DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm still on my fitness and health journey. I've recently had to reflect on my reasons for wanting to lose weight. Mine are: I have Pre-hypertension, I'm commissioning in the Army and must maintain fitness standards, and most importantly (to me) ... I'm TIRED of feeling uncomfortable in my skin and clothes.

I'm just wondering, what's everyone else doing it for?

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm on a special assignment away from my family for 6 months. I want to come home with 25lbs gone and really look my best. I'm also training for a 10k. I have had so much energy and feel so much better since I've started this. I've lost 13lbs and I have until mid July to lose the rest.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    To be healthy for myself and my family. To have energy and feel great every morning when I get up on the inside and on the outside and to be a great example for my husband and kids.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I struggled (and failed) to maintain weight standards while in the military, had three high-risk pregnancies that resulted in all three girls coming three weeks early (some really horrible pre-eclampsia stuff on which I'll spare you the gory details), and just felt worse and worse every single day.

At the beginning of the year I realized that I'm really lucky to be alive, considering I've never really taken care of my health before. I don't want my daughters growing up without a mom because I had no self-control. Now I'm 30# down and feel freaking amazing!
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 months ago and I exercise to overcome cravings gym was a therapy for me. I'm slightly overweight so I decided to watch my calories and keep up with my exercises.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    To always be able to run a mile well under 5 minutes;
    To always be able to enjoy a **** ton of food while staying below 9% body fat.

So a happy stomach, endurance and overall well being are my motivations.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Having the best body I've ever had and people looking at me remembering the old me and saying 'wow'
  • AliceinRealityLand
    AliceinRealityLand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband became quite ill this year. He still is, and is unable to work, on oxygen, likely the rest of his life, and it was really MY wake up call. His weight has nothing to do with his illness, but what it did was make me see that we have four children at home who need me. I am currently overweight, but have none of the overweight issues yet. I have no high blood pressure, sugar is excellent, my cholesterol is good, and in talking with doctors about my husband one said to me that turning it around now is the way to go because another 10 years and I will have those things plus other issues that cannot be fixed by eating properly. I am viewing this as lifestyle change rather than a diet because it needs to not only be forever for this to work for me, but I want to model healthiness to my children. I want to be here for grand children too!
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my motivation is self. i use to wana look good for girls and other ppl never thinking about myself. im happy to workout and feel good when i look at myself in the mirror. im also happy to be adding on years to my life
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In order to uncover my inner athlete.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    To be a role model, so my kids don't grow up with the crippling body image issues that I had.

To be a stronger version of myself. I've hit goal weight before, but I was more on the side of skinny fat. This time I'm doing it right. I haven't seen my abs since high school.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wish I could reply to every single one of you. I just want you all to know that your "Why's" are quite inspiring. I'm more motivated just reading what motivates you. Stay strong!
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy life, and I want to do more, not less. I want more energy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't need a whole lot of motivation...I enjoy good livin'. I enjoy eating healthfully and I enjoy being active. I'd much rather go hiking all day than sit around and watch t.v. or something.
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also see the whole world getting addicted to prescription medications. Some are absolutely necessary, but some could easily be prevented by simple lifestyle changes. I am at that fork in the road, where if I do not make some changes, I am next in line for blood pressure medicine and diabetic medication.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To be healthy and live a full life.
    To keep up with my family.
    To have my waist and hips be in the same clothing size again... not having to wear stretchy waist pants, shorts and skirts.

Losing 25 lbs has made a huge difference in the quality of my life already.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The thing that kicked it off for me was that my wedding is in August this year, and I want to look the best I can. I may not be model-thin of athletic, but if I'm happy with what I see in the mirror that will be enough! Plus I have put on weight since meeting my fiancé (probably around 30 pounds... Ugh) and I want to be the weight I was when we first met.

So initially, for vanity. Now I'm doing it for me, for my self-confidence and overall fitness/health. If you had said I would be going to the gym five days a week doing one or two classes a day for an hour each I would have laughed at you. Well, it's a reality now and I LOVE IT.

Plus I want to do a proper push up. I'm like 3/4 there, lol.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I nearly died last year sepsis 5 month pregnancy loss hemoraghing intensive care
    Tbh it scared the hell out of me & I don't want to have to go back to A&E anytime soon
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    kandisn7 wrote: »
    I also see the whole world getting addicted to prescription medications. Some are absolutely necessary, but some could easily be prevented by simple lifestyle changes. I am at that fork in the road, where if I do not make some changes, I am next in line for blood pressure medicine and diabetic medication.

Just a note here...the prescription drugs that people are getting addicted to are typically narcotic pain killers...not beta blockers and ACE inhibitors for blood pressure.

And yes, some of this stuff can be prevented with good livin', but sometimes it can't. Hypertension in particular can be and often is more of a hereditary thing. I eat very healthfully and am a lean 12% BF and very active and still have to take three medications to control my hypertension due to heredity.

That said, I was where you are a few years ago and really had to address my lifestyle overall to correct some really bad blood work and whatnot...all is well now save for the blood pressure.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What motivated me to start my weight loss journey was 1) just generally wanted to get healthier and to be able to do more without getting out of breath 2) I've never been skinny or even close to 'slim' before, so I just want to see what it's like. Just for myself, just out of curiosity, and for health reasons.

I've also noticed that I love food even MORE now that I'm not mindlessly over-eating it. That's a pretty good motivator, too, for a food lover like me.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    At the age of 43 I need to start feeling good in my own skin. Plus my health and feeling stronger. That's what motivates me to lose these last few lbs.