Weight loss success on Keto, Paleo or Whole30

Options
Hi all, I'm thinking about doing a Whole30 challenge, but wanted to know from experienced folks here how much different the program is from cutting out sugars and processed food in terms of weight loss. I know that cutting out sugars, white flour, alcohol helps me not binge and overeat, but I am not eager to give up my dairy and lentils on a Whole30 - but then again, it's only 30 days.

Anyway, can anyone explain the differences, and tell me if weight loss is greater on any of these approaches over another? I'm doing CICO without paying any attention to my macros, and at a deficit, but weight is coming off slow.

Thanks

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat a ketogenic diet. You will have an initial water weight loss the first few days. After that, losing weight is the same on any other diet. CICO still applies.

There are other benefits many experience, including myself, but it's not a miracle diet. That being said, I like to encourage people to change their way of eating, not to diet for 30 days. Make a life change.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The first week or so will give you a bigger weight loss due to water weight coming off your body. Other than that, you will lose at the same rate as anyone else doing a calorie-restricted diet program.

Weight loss comes down to calorie deficit and there is no magic diet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought Whole 30 was more about finding things that you don't get on with than about weight loss per se.

Quite a few keto dieters restrict one thing - carbs - and find that suits them better than counting everything, though you have to lose weight by eating less in any case and then you can calculate a calorie deficit.

Keto is <50g of carbs, possibly <30 depending on the person. Paleo is restricting food choices to an ancestral diet which while lower in carbs is not specifically a ketogenic diet.

You could do keto and be paleo, but most doing paleo won't be keto.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have done Whole30 - what I would say is the rules are rather rigid. If you can stick with it for 30 days then it's well worth doing as you do really find out what foods make you bloated, hungry, headachey, tired, etc.. It's like a form of Paleo with a few restrictions added in. Alot of people on Paleo would still make Paleo style treats... sweet pancakes, cakes and pie crusts made with almond or coconut flour etc. Whole30 does not allow this.. Primal is similar to Paleo but they rely on a bit more on modern science too.. so will not necessarily restrict things like dairy if they believe it is good for you and you aren't intolerant to it.
    Whole30, Paleo and Primal aren't specifically geared towards weight loss although many experience it. It's more
    about finding a more natural way of eating and discovering your natural appetite too..

Most people who try Keto diets are in it to lose weight, or for health reasons..
    Some people do Atkins.. which can put you in to Ketosis and is geared towards losing weight.. They do allow things like artificial sweeteners etc as long as your carb count is still low..
    You lose water weight on all of them, then it evens out.. but most people lose weight easier and faster because they are less hungry eating this way, and therefore naturally have a big deficit in calories.
    Pick the one you like the sound of the most! :)
  • beckyramseydisney
    beckyramseydisney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bekgirl5 would you please share your menu for a few days or week of eating. I was recently diagnosed pre diabetic and im trying to follow lchf but im still consuming to many calories. I would so appreciate it I feel a little lost and struggling.
  • MissKeeleyMarie
    MissKeeleyMarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 whole30s and it is about changing your lifestyle and finding out what foods are making you sick. However, the weight-loss was welcomed, I lost 16 pounds my first whole30. I was eating processed foods and felt exhausted all the time. Once I changed my eating and got over the sugar flu I had endless energy and felt better than I ever have. I had energy and enjoyed working out again. I encourage my friends and family to try it.