2»

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Do said coworkers go to the grocery store every day in order to get the "freshest" food (I swear some of my grocery stores sell the same lot of produce two-three weeks in a row. It'll be super fresh and amazing the first week and then the third week they're selling moldy and soggy produce)? Buying food on Monday, cooking it on Monday, and eating it on Thursday isn't going to be super different nutrition-wise compared to if you buy the same food on Monday, cook it on Thursday, and eat it on Thursday.

My Costco does this and it sucks. I think the worst was the 'fresh' asparagus harvested a full month prior. It was green goo at the tops and they were still trying to sell it. Same thing with their bell peppers. I just had to quit buying them from Costco because sometimes I would immediately discover mold upon taking them out of the bag or within 1-3 days. That's ridiculous. Since there are basically never any dates on the peppers, I can't know how old they are to screen. :/

I got seriously ill once after sauteeing some onions and peppers I had bought already pre-sliced at a Lowe's Foods and they weren't even out of date according to the date "they" put on the container of course. A lot of food (even refrigerated) will hurt your stomach and intestinal tract if you wait too long to consume them so there is some fact to that - but it doesn't happen very often and it's usually just a bad case of going to the bathroom a few times in a 12-18 hour period that relieves that issue. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Do said coworkers go to the grocery store every day in order to get the "freshest" food (I swear some of my grocery stores sell the same lot of produce two-three weeks in a row. It'll be super fresh and amazing the first week and then the third week they're selling moldy and soggy produce)? Buying food on Monday, cooking it on Monday, and eating it on Thursday isn't going to be super different nutrition-wise compared to if you buy the same food on Monday, cook it on Thursday, and eat it on Thursday.

My Costco does this and it sucks. I think the worst was the 'fresh' asparagus harvested a full month prior. It was green goo at the tops and they were still trying to sell it. Same thing with their bell peppers. I just had to quit buying them from Costco because sometimes I would immediately discover mold upon taking them out of the bag or within 1-3 days. That's ridiculous. Since there are basically never any dates on the peppers, I can't know how old they are to screen. :/

I find aldi fruit is very similar to this- it's like at the tail end of its' life when I bring it home- which means if I want to shop at aldi- either I have to resign myself to shopping DAILY (or every other day) or waste food.
    Neither is ideal for me- so I just buy it at a grocery store- where it will actually last me a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

my colleagues will comment on how unhealthy they are because they're cooked and kept in the fridge / not freshly cooked on the same day / all the food nutrients are lost.

Let me guess.....the one telling you this are probably gobbling down a double greaseburger from the golden arches while lecturing you on healthy eating......

A few days in the fridge is not going to cause your food to lose all the nutrients any more than microwaves make food unsafe (yes...."Dr" Mercola came up with that gem) People read some of the nonsense spouted by book sellers and supplement makers and will believe the most ridiculous of ideas (PT Barnum was right.....).

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do none of your co-workers eat leftovers? It's basically the same thing.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Do none of your co-workers eat leftovers? It's basically the same thing.

A lot of people complain about leftovers because god forbid they eat the same thing twice in a row.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If prepping and storing food made it unhealthy, I'd be seriously ill by now. I cook for one, so just about everything I make leaves at least one serving left over, and more likely 3+.

I'm perfectly healthy as far as I can tell, BTW.