New Orleans

Options
smit7633
smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
Going to NOLA for the first time next month. Tips? Stories?

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Stay with the crowds. If you flash, don't stay in one spot. Forget about your weight goals and eat everything. Suck the heads and pinch the tails.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Check out Yo Mama's restaurant and try the peanut butter burger. it is delicious.
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Willie mae's has the BEST fried chicken. Forget your diet and eat and drink anything and everything you want.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Do at least one ghost tour! Even if you're not necessarily into that type of thing, you'll get a fantastic tour of the city and a great history lesson!
  • smit7633
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can't wait to eat a po' boy and a muffuletta!

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    smit7633 wrote: »

Central Grocery for the muff, and get a half muff (if not a quarter) unless you want a lot of leftovers. I'm sure some people will send you to Mother's for the poboy, but to me, they're overrated. My favorite place is Check-In/Check-Out in Slidell, but I'm sure you don't want to drive 45 minutes for a poboy. Follow the locals at lunch time; they'll lead you to the right places. You also have to hit Deanie's in Bucktown (Metairie)..the bbq shrimp and seafood platter are the best around. If you like beer, try Cooter Browns on Carrollton...they have like 8 zillion selections and pub grub with a New Orleans twist. Port of Call on Esplanade for a great burger and baked potato. No visit is complete without the Clover Grill in the Quarter. Greasiest of all the greasy spoons, but great food and fantastic (funny) people working there.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hand grenade if you need to forget a few hours, beignets and a cafe au lait at cafe du monde is a must, there's a deanies on Iberville (no need to drive to Metairie) the best street performers are on Royal during the day and if someone asks where you got your shoes, the only acceptable response is "I got em on my feet".

Also, have fun! It's a wild city and you MOST LIKELY will have a completely positive experience but like the others have said, know where you are, stay near the quarter (crowds) and don't wander down dark alleys at night and you'll be fine. Also, call me, I'll come buy the first round.
  • smit7633
    Options
    From one foodie to another bless you for this comment! My stomach is growling! May can't get here soon enough!!
    jnichel wrote: »
    smit7633 wrote: »

Central Grocery for the muff, and get a half muff (if not a quarter) unless you want a lot of leftovers. I'm sure some people will send you to Mother's for the poboy, but to me, they're overrated. My favorite place is Check-In/Check-Out in Slidell, but I'm sure you don't want to drive 45 minutes for a poboy. Follow the locals at lunch time; they'll lead you to the right places. You also have to hit Deanie's in Bucktown (Metairie)..the bbq shrimp and seafood platter are the best around. If you like beer, try Cooter Browns on Carrollton...they have like 8 zillion selections and pub grub with a New Orleans twist. Port of Call on Esplanade for a great burger and baked potato. No visit is complete without the Clover Grill in the Quarter. Greasiest of all the greasy spoons, but great food and fantastic (funny) people working there.

• smit7633
    Options
    So I'm think Central Grocery for my muffuletta, parkway for my po boy, Mr B's Bistro for my gumbo...

Definitely want to take my dog to City Park. Does anyone know how well they enforce the permit law for the dog park there?

Also we are going to Mystere Mansion to play their serial killer escape game.

I really like Indian food and there's none where I live so I gotta hit up Nirvana for lunch one day too.