Will lifting heavy slim me down?

Options
armydreamers
armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm starting SL5x5 tomorrow. In 5 weeks I'll be spending some time in a bathing suit! Wondering if I can expect any changes in that amount of time, particularly losing some inches (if not actual pounds that's ok with me). I just want to make sure I'm having realistic expectations. Edited to add: I'm eating just below maintenance or at maintenance most days so not cutting much at all.

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. You will see beginner gains in the gym, I however am not sure how much change visibly you will see in 5 weeks. I know people who have posted up after 30 day shred big changes but they also are eating a big deficit while doing it. Hopefully some others can pop in and show 30 day lifting progress or 60 day progress since that is the range you are looking at.

Even if you don't though stick with it. I did stronglifts 5x5 before my pregnancy and my with lifting vs without lifting picture of the same weight is a huge difference. 3-4% higher body fat without lifting at the same weight.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    no. heavy lifting wont help you slim down, only eating below maintenance will do that. But heavy lifting will make you look and feel great when you do slim down.
  • Yelnats1
    Yelnats1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it helps!
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    no. heavy lifting wont help you slim down, only eating below maintenance will do that. But heavy lifting will make you look and feel great when you do slim down.

Agreed. I'm a HUGE believer in lifting heavy through compound movements and doing so often. However, lifting heavy alone is just one ingredient in the recipe to slim down. I incorporate heavy lifts with high volume into my workouts (kinda like crossfit), which leaves me exhausted and sweating at the end of a workout. This is like doing cardio with weigh training and a good way to burn lots of calories and keep burning them even after you're done working out. Supplement that kind of training routine with a small calorie deficit with quality food and you'll slim down.

The 5x5 plan you're proposing is great for strength gains but not necessarily for slimming down since you spend very little time actually exerting force.

Try something like (just a suggestion- it's currently what I'm doing with my squats, deadlifts and presses):
    2 sets of 10
    2 sets of 5
    3 sets of 3
    3 sets of 1

This is high volume AND since you up the weight as you do less reps, you're also lifting heavy. I will leave you annihilated! If you want to make drastic changes in 5 short weeks, you'll have to take drastic measures! Make sure to keep proper form always! don't hurt yourself.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The process may make you feel bigger for the first 4-6 weeks while on a heavier program. But I would definitely say the 5th-7th week you can be quite happy with the definition as the swelling reduces.

ETA: SL5x5 has you begin with lighter weights so it might be gradual enough where the swelling is slight.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In my first month of SL5X5 I lost 1 inch from waist and 1.5inches from hips. I felt fitter and stronger and liked the way my body looked more than prior to starting. I was also eating in a deficit but not a huge one and I don't take all the rest days which SL prescribes - I do spinning, circuit training and running as well as the lifting. Good luck with it!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No. Lifting and following a strength-oriented program like SL, will make you eventually stronger. It will not make you slimmer.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It is a strength program. But you can get some definition results as well.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Five weeks probably not, but it's on the edge of seeing something.

You will see changes while lifting at maintenance, it just takes longer.

• saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    The process may make you feel bigger for the first 4-6 weeks while on a heavier program. But I would definitely say the 5th-7th week you can be quite happy with the definition as the swelling reduces.

ETA: SL5x5 has you begin with lighter weights so it might be gradual enough where the swelling is slight.

Finally. I have been looking for the answer to "how long till this swelling and glycogen retention eases" and no one wants to say anything definitive. I'm in week three or four (I'd have to check my spreadsheet and I'm not getting up) of Stronglifts. Thanks for the info.