Women over 40

Options
Anyone other women over 40 feeling like overly reducing calories (1200-1400) just keeps you at a plateau? I used to be able to drop weight no problem, but in the last year or two it actually takes effort to drop or maintain. I've read a little about fat storing over 40 if calories are too low. Getting older is so frustrating!

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nope, 59 here. Ate at 1200 + 100 calories for exercise (I just walk) to lose 2 lbs/week, now eating at around 1260 + 100 to lose 1 lb/week. Down 27 lbs. so far.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'll be 51 next month. If I am 100% honest and diligent with my logging, I lose. If I'm not, I don't.

But that has nothing to do with my age.
  • sistermaryagnus
    sistermaryagnus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and let me tell you it does make a difference! I exercise almost every day, eat 1200 to 1400 calories a day and have been stuck at 171 for 2 months. I may go under or slightly over some days but generally I eat within my limits. I have some thyroid issues but I should be losing more. I don't think I can eat less than I am now. I don't know!! I'm frustrated :#
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    45 here. Reducing my calories to 1200 just makes me hangry. I would lose plenty of weight, but I'd be a gigantic ball of b1tchiness 24/7.
  • karenrn2005
    karenrn2005 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have the same problems ! I get told all the time that the only way to lose is to eat all protein if I wanna lose but I can't eat that way. I try and can't last long with out a balanced diet. I am stuck at my weight and wish I could lose !
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I eat between 1400 and 1600 depending on exercise, and I've lost 7 lbs in the last couple of months. Your BMR goes down as you age, but you should still be able to lose weight if you eat less than what you burn.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and am now at goal weight. I had no trouble losing but I got accurate with calorie counting. Eyeballing was my nemesis.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have the same problems ! I get told all the time that the only way to lose is to eat all protein if I wanna lose but I can't eat that way. I try and can't last long with out a balanced diet. I am stuck at my weight and wish I could lose !

I have not cut any foods from my diet and am usually over in carbs. As long as I am logging accurately and am under my calories goal, I lose weight.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have found it more difficult as I get older. It may also be because I've been a yoyo dieter and lost the same 20-40 lbs many times and my body is efficient. Losing weight, and maintaining, isn't fun. Or easy.
  • kittydale9
    kittydale9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 46, and at times I have thought it was harder to lose weight after turning 40. However, I have started back to tracking diligently and exercising on my treadmill. I am down almost 10 lbs so far.
  • aduck2016
    aduck2016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How often should I recalculate after losing some weight? I'm 5'8" and currently at 146...I'd like to be 135-140, which has been my normal weight range since I was 16. I'm 41 now...I think that's a healthy range. I started at 159...lots of over indulging over winter and not making healthy choices or even stepping on a scale...just noticed my clothes getting tight.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I totally feel that way. Not only do I have to be perfect with my tracking I have to be careful about what I eat as well! Certain foods seem to make it so I don't lose anything! I lost 30 lbs last year at 1200 calories a day, I've gained some back and am now trying 1400 calories a day and lots of exercise. It seems to be coming off slowly...but it is coming off!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight immediately at age 40 just counting calories- no special diet or intense exercise. I started with 1340 calories, lost 25 lbs and now my calorie goal is 1200. It is harder to lose now that I am closer to a healthy weight because my deficit is smaller and I need to be more accurate in my tracking. It is not impossible. I've lost 3 lbs in the last 3 weeks.

If you are having trouble losing at 1200 calories then get out the food scale and use it for everything, check that the entries you are using from the database are correct or see your doctor.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    aduck2016 wrote: »
    How often should I recalculate after losing some weight? I'm 5'8" and currently at 146...I'd like to be 135-140, which has been my normal weight range since I was 16. I'm 41 now...I think that's a healthy range. I started at 159...lots of over indulging over winter and not making healthy choices or even stepping on a scale...just noticed my clothes getting tight.

You only have a handful of vanity pounds to lose. You should probably reset MFP for a half pound per week loss and go from there. And, of course, be diligent with your logging. I am 41 as well and trying to shed that last 10 pounds. According to my Fitbit, I almost never burn fewer than 2000 calories a day, so I rarely eat below 1750. If I tried to eat 1200 calories a day, I would die. Well, *someone* would, at any rate...
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I will be 42 in a few months. This is my second time on MFP. I do my best to keep an accurate calorie count. I can not lose one pound. Over 2 months this time. 6 months prior. I walk 5 times a week, as I work at an animal rescue and walk dogs. I've done the 4 week Squat Plan and thinking of doing another. Still, not one pound lost.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 (and hypothyroid), and lost a couple of pounds a week at 1200 (net) . . . but didn't stay there long: I got fatigued, and - as I only learned several months later because they needed to grow out to the point where I could tell - my fingernails were getting a bit brittle. Yikes! Happily, I realized it was too low from how I felt, and increased to 1400-1500 net, where I still lost at a steady rate, until it came time to taper off the loss rate when getting close to goal.

Frankly, I haven't noticed any problem losing at my age, with accurate logging & reasonably consistent compliance with my calorie target. Perhaps it helps that I haven't much yo-yo dieted in the past, and that I've been quite active for a dozen years, so am perhaps more muscular than most women my age. But I have no proven idea - I certainly believe those who say they struggle as they age. I just don't have any younger experience to compare.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'll be 51 next month. If I am 100% honest and diligent with my logging, I lose. If I'm not, I don't.

But that has nothing to do with my age.

This.
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did calorie counting and exercise without weighing food or being exact about calories in my early thirties and the weight all fell off in six months. Now, 3 kids and ten years later and I can do it but I have to really pay attention and be extra accurate and one mess up means no weight loss that week.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    48 and maintain with moderate eating (around 2,000 kcal) and working out pretty much every day. 136lb. So, moderation works for me, and always has.

Can't really tell if it's more difficult, I don't think so though. It's my understanding that your calories to maintain do get lower with age, but not by much. The Fiance, a couple of years older, he gained too much on a bulk a few years back and HAS had trouble dropping weight but he doesn't limit eating, and hasn't gained more over those years, just maintained higher than he'd like.

Older-Older people, my group:
    My mom (77) seems to eat less naturally, and has stayed at a healthy weight. Her mom got way too skinny when old, but she had dementia and probably forgot to eat. The parents of the Fiance and the Ex (my kids grandparents) are a few years younger and are on the fat side but not increasing, and not way big, they just gained weight and maintain it.

So i don't know, but personally whatever affect age has, it either hasn't hit me yet (certainly possible as I do not think I have passed the menopause) or it isn't really an issue.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 5'9", 177 lbs, and losing slowly but steadily on 1930 calories per day. Homicide would likely occur if I tried to stick to 1200 calories per day. Not safe for anyone! :D