Scale Trouble

Hi everyone! So the last few months I have been having some trouble with my Taylor Digital Scale. I've been trying to maintain weight and eating just like I normally do, yet as soon as I got this new scale, it began showing a steep incline at every weekly weigh in. This scale says I've gained over 10 pounds, yet when I look in the mirror and ask my friends and family, I look exactly the same and my clothes fit exactly the same. I'm an 18 year old boy who has been battling a binge eating disorder, so this has really been throwing me off. Any advice or thoughts about if it's my actual weight that's fluctuating, or if it's the scale would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Weigh something you know the weight of, like a 5# dumbbell. If this scale gives drastically different numbers for the dumbbell, something's wrong with the scale. By drastically I mean a pound difference, not a reading like 5.2 or 4.8 pounds. Make sure you're weighing in the same spot on a level, non-carpeted floor. Might want to change the batteries, too.

You don't mention, but are you logging and weighing your food? It could be you're eating more than you think.
  • seashelldavies
    seashelldavies Posts: 5 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Weigh something you know the weight of, like a 5# dumbbell. If this scale gives drastically different numbers for the dumbbell, something's wrong with the scale. By drastically I mean a pound difference, not a reading like 5.2 or 4.8 pounds. Make sure you're weighing in the same spot on a level, non-carpeted floor. Might want to change the batteries, too.

You don't mention, but are you logging and weighing your food? It could be you're eating more than you think.

I tried weighing a 10 pound dumbbell and it just didn't appear on the scale, it read 0 pounds. And I log everything.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    weigh yourself holding the weight and not holding the weight, if its accurate there should be a 10 pound difference
  • seashelldavies
    seashelldavies Posts: 5 Member
    weigh yourself holding the weight and not holding the weight, if its accurate there should be a 10 pound difference

There was indeed a 10 pound difference, going from 149.8 to 159.6. But does that mean that the scale is indeed 100% accurate and I truly did gain 10 pounds?