Body fat loss

Options
Hello all, I'm currently on 20% body fat and have a target of getting to 15 by July ( I'm in no rush), I train quite intense 3-4 days a weeks, I'm very good at keeping within my calories, whether it is the ones mfp recommend or ones I set my self, however does lower weight necessarily mean lower body fat? Would I lose the body fat the same if I was eating junk but staying within my calories as eating healthier foods? I'm 5'7 and 175lbs male. Would working to mfp macro and calorie recommendations work or should I adjust them? Thanks!

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Weight is only one measuring statistic, and in my opinion is the least important. You can gain weight, but lose fat because you have gained muscle at the same time as losing the fat. You can't tell if thats happening if you are just looking at a number from the scale.

I suggest using calipers or biolectrical impedance device to track your bf percentage.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lower weight doesn't always mean lower body fat %. However, if you are following a good weight lifting plan, lifting 3-5 times per week and eating sufficient protein then lower body weight is more likely to mean lower body fat%.

You would certainly lose body weight the same if you were eating junk but staying within your calorie goal. Which is great if you are solely looking to lose weight. Most people want to change their body composition though which means keeping on to muscle and losing body weight through losing fat. This will rely more on you hitting your individual macros.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Like it was said above, lower weight does not always mean lower body fat. A great way to tack progress in terms of body fat % is by body measurements, progress pics, and caliper tests. If you get in some hard resistance training ~3 times/week (or more :smile: ) and get in ~0.8-1.2 g of protein/lb of body weight, then you should maintain muscle mass pretty well as you lose body fat.

I would change your macros, since MFP under-shoots protein at 20%.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No. You can become "Skinny-Fat". The less carbs you eat, the more fat you'll burn. ;)