Beachbody programs. Need help calculating calories burned

Hi,
Ice been doing Beachbody programs since January. Hammer and Chisel first and now Body Beast. Since I lost my last Fitbit I'm going w low ball calorie burn numbers, but I want to find out if there is a more accurate way to calculate them.

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks!

JR

Replies

• jr_in_seattle
    jr_in_seattle Posts: 5 Member
    That should be I've, not Ice. Thanks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    ... if there is a more accurate way to calculate them.

Log them as circuit training.

fwiw your fitbit wouldn't be accurate anyway.

You're likely to get a load of recommendations for HR monitors, ignire those. HRMs aren't remotely accurate for that kind of training.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Weight training doesn't burn a lot of calories.
    There are blogs by beachbody coaches which will report calories burnt for body beast and they are complete fabrications. They are based upon hr monitors which is only makes sense for steady state cardio
    Main goal of weight training is to build or maintain muscle which will definitely affect your total calorie burn for the day however not directly
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    I have a hrm. I am confused as to what "steady state cardio" is. would that be walking and running ?. I use my hrm as a motivational tool really and only believe half the burn anyway. If i do a bob harper dvd which is fairly difficult and is cardio and weights my hrm records about 500 ish, which I dont think would be too far off the mark for an hour ??. A very fast walk over 2 hours, it would give me 700+. are these figures so far off the mark that i cant rely on them in any way ? (just to reinforce the point, I only ever eat half back, or 1/3 so it doesnt matter so much, but I am curious)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Broadly steady, aerobic range, activity where the HR doesn't vary much.

Running, cycling, rowing etc.

For an hour of circuit training DVD about 200-300 Cal's is fair.

For walking your HR shouldn't rise to the extent that it's a meaningful measure.
  • sallymason88
    sallymason88 Posts: 69 Member
    @MeanderingMammal .... when i say walking, i walk to the beat of 120 bpm music. very fast. would that not rise in a meaningful way ? it isnt a little stroll to the shop. my heartbeat remains steady at approx 120bpm and if i slow or increase to check it, it does change quickly. or go uphill it will rise to 140 ish. i am only curious, as i said, i only use it as for motivation really.
  • MeanderingMammal
    So subject to age and weight 120 might just be getting into the aerobic range, so verging on becoming moderately useful for calorie estimations.

You'd be as accurate just logging based on distance though.