JUst learned I have PCOS anyone else?

Options
Hey,

Would love some help and advice on losing weight with this.

I have all the classic symptoms. But since having children was not big on my list never was diagnosed.

I am 57. Heavy all my life crave sugar like crazy. Like it is a drug.

Any help is appreciated.

Thx.

Mary

Replies

• xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eat right, with pcos you should lower your carb intake. I have severe pcos, and endometriosis, and I have just lowered my calories and started walking and have lost 13 lbs thus far.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you diagnose yourself? It almost sounds like it.
    First, see a doctor and make sure you are not a pre-diabetic.
    People with insurance in the states get a free yearly checkup.
    Get your cholesterol and thyroid checked.
    While you wait for the appointment log every bite you eat.
    Be willing to show it to your doctor
    Here is an interesting article on what a sugar craving may mean healthwise.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2042182/Could-sweet-tooth-warning-sign-youre-ill.html

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't have it personally, but I see a lot of people doing LCHF -,low carb, high fat... Aka Keto for PCOS.

Do see a doc if you haven't, possibly an endocrinologist. If you are self diagnosing, it could be other issues as mentioned above. There is also a lot of research that show sugar has addictive properties, I even recently read that the first rehab center for sugar addiction opened in South Africa.
  • mam1958
    mam1958 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A doctor diagnosed me. On a follow up after surgery. I had surgery for endometrial cancer ( also on list of signs). The doctor was very rude and abrupt with me. He was not the dr. that operated on me he was an associate.

I have more questions then answers when I left. An appt. for seminars to learn about weight loss surgery since I could never lose this weight and kept it off. (His words ). 100 pounds to be exact.

I am going sugar and white free as much as i can. Have lost 4 pds. so far.

Just would like some advice on what worked for you.

Thx everyone for your replies.

Mary
  • aikanfeld
    aikanfeld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am curious if a doctor has tried doing any hormone treatment with you at? Medically you want to make sure you have a diagnosis, as well as check your adrenal glands and thyroid. A lot of yuur weight could be do to inflammation, wich is another thing to check out. Obviously sugars are bad.... but eating anti inflammatory foods could possibly help! There are lists all over the internet! Start integrating those into each meal and see how it goes! (Ex:rasberries, garlic, Bananas, different types of fish, ect.) I am in the process of possibly getting diagnosed with PCOS, and have chronic inflammation disease. Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    May I ask how a diagnosis on PCOS can be made at 57?
    In any case, PCOS does not cause cravings.
  • mam1958
    mam1958 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    He saw all the hair all over my body. Weight, other signs like: Operation for cyst removal on ovalries. Period problems. Problems with digesting carbs. Plus everyone one of thes symptons on the list i have.

Said it didn't matter cause i am past child birth age.

Just want to lose this weight without surgery. I know what i have to do just want some tips anyone may have.

Thx.. Mary