Gastritis?

Options
californiansun
californiansun Posts: 392 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I was diagnosed with gastritis, and my doctor gave me no direction whatsoever with what to do for it.

I'm very overwhelmed with what foods to eat and not eat, how long this will last, and if I can take my probiotic that contains ascorbic acid.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My health insurance is a mess and I won't be able to see a doctor until after the first of May.

Thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-gastritis
    What Causes Gastritis?
    After the doctor make the diagnosis, he should have come up with a treatment plan.
    1. Gastritis can be caused by irritation due to excessive alcohol use, chronic vomiting, stress, or the use of certain medications such as aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs. It may also be caused by any of the following:
    2. Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori): A bacteria that lives in the mucous lining of the stomach; without treatment, the infection can lead to ulcers, and in some people, stomach cancer.
    3. Pernicious anemia: A form of anemia that occurs when the stomach lacks a naturally occurring substance needed to properly absorb and digest vitamin B12
    4. Bile reflux: A backflow of bile into the stomach from the bile tract (that connects to the liver and gallbladder)Infections caused by bacteria and viruses

Here is a list of low fodfmap safe foods. You have to do trial and error to see which ones work for you.
    Good luck.
    http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/
    Chicken
    Lamb
    Pork
    Turkey
    Cold cuts / deli meat / cold meats such as ham and turkey breast
    Fish . . . . .
    . . .
  • plami_9209
    plami_9209 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also suffer from gastritis and what I can give you as advice is, find the foods thatwork for you. It`s very individual. The most common foods to avoid are fatty, hot, spicy foods and beans. But like I said it`s very indivudual. I personaly don`t have a problem with spicy and hot foods, the foods that cause me stomach aches and pains are beans, peas (and others of the kind) and very greasy foods, like french fries, fried onion wings and so on. My father also was suffering from it and he had huge pains every time he ate bananas and watermelon. In general stay away from fatty meat and fried stuff also forget about drinking sodas and fizzy stuff. And you`ll be ok.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with gastritis and it took a lot of trial and error for me. One thing my doctor suggested that was different from the normal gastritis diet was increase my fiber intake by a lot. She wanted me to hit 40 grams a day of food fiber not supplemental fiber and see if it helps. I also cut out all oils except olive, butter, and coconut oil. I found it very difficult to do so. However I incorporated chia seeds and flax seeds, daily. Two tablespoons of either or per day cleared me up from any forms of gastritis for the last 5 months. I tried it a year before but stopped and it came back within weeks. I am now off my omeprezole and that is my only change, only olive oil, coconut oil or butter (in moderation) and chia and Or flax seeds daily. I put it in yogurt or cereal or fruit smoothie. Also made a chia pudding made with almond milk. Worth a try. There are so many things that can cause it so trial and error Also, so sorry it is one of the most painful experiences of my life. I was getting one ever week for about a year with two days of sore stomach after. I was at my wits ends.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I just booked marked chia seed pudding before I read your reply, and I'll add what doesn't bother me. I took a digestive enzyme and it's helped A LOT.