Eating more to lose weight??

Options
13»

Replies

• hevans1207
    hevans1207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If 1500 seems like a lot try to incorporate some high (good) fat foods- olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc...2 tbs of peanut butter has 200 calories. How have you been doing this week following your trainer's 1500-1600 meal guidelines? Are you finding it easier than expected?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say 1500-1600 is not a lot, and at the beginning it actually wasn't. now i struggle to come close to that. i maybe eat 1000-1200 per day and i'm at 255 lbs! I eat all day long too so i'm not starving myself, i just eat a lot of fruit and such thats low in calories.

try to eat about 1200-1300 and you should be fine, also exercise too

I eat about 1700-1800 a day. 1500 is not a lot and a 1000 calories is great...for dinner.

Is that what you would eat for dinner is it, 1000 calories?
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    It might be you were more sedatary and eating less before. Your
    trainer had to allot for your new burn rate .. you need fuel, I'm
    not sure how much you wish to lose but eating too low and pushing
    might ruin your muscle/positive body volume. It all depends on how
    you wish to look and how important strength is to you I think. :)
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    before, I was eating between 750 and 1000 calories a day. I got a personal trainer, and she told me to start eating 1400-1500 per day. I freaked out at first, too. But, I have consistently been losing weight and inches! Whereas, in the past, I was in a rut, not losing anything.

I have trouble reaching 1500 on a daily basis, so my PT altered my plan to this.... Instead of consuming "X" amount of calories per day, just be sure to reach 1,000 NET calories on the days I work out. And on the days I don't work out, consuming a total of 1200 calories is okay. (although 1400 is better. [according to her]).

I never thought eating MORE would help me lose weight! But it has definitely made a difference. I am working out 5-6 days a week, and am eating at a ~85/15 % (healthy vs. unhealthy).
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Your personal trainer sounds like a good one.

It is perfectly possible to eat 1500 - 1600 calories a day and lose weight. I upped my calories to 1800, still lost weight. Then I bought a fitbit and realised that I was still under-eating even with the increase, so I now eat around 2200 calories a day and I lose 1.5lbs a week, most weeks.

Wow, yep this is me! I was always undereating. Saw that I needed to eat more, so I started to up it, got a FitBit and realized I was STILL undereating! Started eating what it told me to and I dropped those last 8 pounds pretty darned quickly!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First off I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Sarah and I'm brand new to this website and just downloaded the app :)

But there's something I'm super confused about! I just bought my first session with a personal trainer, and he created a customized diet plan for me that consists of reaching 1500-1600 calories a day. However that seems like A LOT considering there's no way I eat that much everyday, (but perhaps is also the reason I haven't been losing any weight even though I've been working out). I always thought that the less you consumed, the more you would lose, but he told me this isn't the case? It's all about hitting certain numbers (protein vs fat vs carbs)...............

That's not a lot at all, especially if you're working out with any kind of intensity. The average, pretty much lightly active female will maintain right around 2,000 calories give or take. A woman who works out can maintain at quite a bit higher number. For example, my wife is 38 years old...122 Lbs and 5'2"...she maintains at around 2300-2400 calories when we're really training....a few hundred calories less when we're just "working out". She loses 1 Lb per week grossing anywhere from 1,550 to 1800 calories per day depending on whether we're "working out" or "training"...the difference being the intensity and level of effort being performed.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's all about metabolism. If you go a while eating too little, it won't matter how much you're working out-- you won't lose weight. Your body adjusts in order to ensure survival. It's called metabolic damage. Someone else posted this in another thread, and I found it to be VERY insightful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

With all due respect many people are taking this video way, way, way out of context.

I started listening to him, for about 4 minutes, and he didn't say anything but a lot of ummmm and uhhhhhh. Then I looked and saw the video was 26 minutes long and said "ain't nobody got time for that". And since I'm eating 1800 cals a day I don't think I need to make time for that.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories but I would assume I definitely eat well under 1000 calories/day.

It is very likely that you are assuming wrong.
    lol! yep!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I may be living in the stone age, but what is this "FitBit" everyone is talking about?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    You are very fortunate to have a trainer who actually sounds like he knows what he is doing. I had a personal trainer tell me I needed to eat under 1200 cals a day, only run on a treadmill, and stop all weight training.

But your trainer is right - as odd as it may sound.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I may be living in the stone age, but what is this "FitBit" everyone is talking about?

Basically a fancy pedometer that estimates your total daily burn, including resting calories and your day to day...not sure how accurate it is for actual training though. It's my understanding that it's pretty decent if you're primary exercise is a lot of walking around and getting your steps in and what not.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Smart trainer. I'm up to 1800-2000 cals a day. Enjoy it! :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It`s not JUST numbers game. Sometimes the question of ``what:`` is more important than ``how much``.

100% agree with this ^ and what you have just written, is often forgotten amongst the masses on the forums.

Many are so embroiled in the "eat more, you are not eating enough" strategy that they fail to acknowledge that WHAT you eat is more important than how many calories are going down somebody's gullet.

I also agree 100%. We have to look at the overall health needs of our bodies. Fat, carbs, sugar and foods that are not really food. IE: Processed foods. Not all calories are created equal! Think healthy!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My trainer says the same thing. I don't know if she's right but the 1200 calories a day + whatever calories I get from exercise works for me.

It also depends WHAT you eat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1500-1600 calories is not a 'lot'.... Why have a trainer if you dong want to listen to them? Seems a waste of money to me!

This! I would be pretty hungry is that's all I ate! I maintain on 2550 and lose on about 2000-2300. When I first started, I tried to do 1600 and after the second day, I passed out. Never again!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    . Fat, carbs, sugar and foods that are not really food. IE: Processed foods. Not all calories are created equal! Think healthy!

What a contradictory thought process....nutrients and foods that isn't really food. WTF?