I wish I had someone who'll tell me "put that down"

Options
Every time I cave to some junk food that I know that is bad for me.
I manage to convince myself that it's only this one cookie and we only live once and tomorrow I'll start again.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to take responsibility for your actions.... it's not up to someone else to tell you not to eat something.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to want someone to tie me down whenever I got the urge to eat something I "shouldn't". I have struggled for years. It wasn't until I realized that I could eat anything I wanted, and that I myself control, and must control, what goes into my mouth, that the "struggle" turned into a mere "challenge".
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "Put that thing back where it came from, or so help me !". TavistockToad is right - it has be coming from inside of you. So reprogram yourself.
  • G007ANA
    G007ANA Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try and spend a week breaking down that habit. I know exactly where you are coming from. I send my food diary to a buddy every day who is helping me with my nutrition. He tells me every so often, I know it fits your macros but that is not what we are doing right now. Stay strict. He is not by my side but reminds me via e-mail.

Set yourself a target to be strict for a month. As in, follow your diet, allow yourself if anything let's say a jello (if you like that LOOOOOVE it personally) or an ice cream once maybe max twice a week.

You will see that slowly you will start to form new habits meaning that the temptation of a cookie or something like that starts to fade. It won't disappear, TRUST ME! But it will gradually get easier until you reach your target.

It's about re-wiring the desire in your mind for the cookie. Don't see it as an impossible to resist thing, just as a "that is nice but today I don't really want it" kind of thing.

Hope that helps a little!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You need to take responsibility for your actions.... it's not up to someone else to tell you not to eat something.

This, we're all adults here. Why wish for someone to tell you to not do something when you can instead make yourself that person? Plus, don't buy 'junk' food and have it lying around. Or at least only buy it in single serving packets.
  • purrpurplemeow83
    purrpurplemeow83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I manage to convince myself that it's only this one cookie and we only live once and tomorrow I'll start again.

I understand. I work as nurse in a nursing home, I tend rationalize that maybe one day, I could have stroke and not be able to eat eat solid foods. Or thank God that I can even digest diary or even have a functioning intestinal system, because see pts with g tubes or with shallowing issues. I think one day may b unable to eat that Chocolate or enjoy that late'. I think live for the now! Than I try on jeans and feel bad about myself :/
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It does have to come from yourself however...My 18 yr old son gave me a shot of motivation last week. I was feeling a little stressed, trying to make all my numbers come out where I wanted them to. I made a comment about feeling like giving up and he just looked at me a,d said " I dont think you should do that. You know this family would fall apart without you, don't you?"
    I have no more desire to give up.
  • Cedeegan
    Cedeegan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I often feel the same way and have been trying to work on it because there is no one who us going to tell me put down the cookie!
    So..I've been listening to the Oprah meditation series on Loosing The Weight with Deepak Chopra; it's amazing and very helpful in shifting my mindset and helping myself in this battle of false cravings.
    Hope this helps.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yah all of us who need to lose weight are the same re over eating that's why losing weight involves treats worked into the plan
    You do have someone to tell you YOUR WILLPOWER which is all anyone has.....
    At the end of the day we all have a choice & we are all self responsible
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

No, not really, you do not. Then you would be complaining about your partner/parents/roommates being controlling and acting like idiots. Can you really imagine someone following you around and monitoring everything you eat? You would be fighting before the first day was over.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You need to do this.
    Sometimes I wish my Fitbit had a little cartoon arm that could shoot out and knock that extra slice of pizza or second beer out of my hand...
  • DarrenKH
    DarrenKH Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying about the motivation finally needing to come from within, but that has to be balanced also with a recognition that we can all help each other to a certain extent, so I don't think the original posting is completely wrong. So we shouldn't rule out the idea of a support system. My kids and I are currently helping my wife in that way, we talk to her and even stop her from eating empty calories when her self-control is flagging. Most of the time she is controlling herself, she has a good basic plan but sometimes buckles when her favorite foods are around (such as at special events or when we have guests etc). She may sneak foods when we are not around, but a combination of her own (somewhat weak) willpower and our support have helped her get some momentum, build her motivation and continue in the last few months trying to get more healthy. I think she also feels more motivated when she is supported in doing this. About exercise, she doesn't have a history of doing it and is having a hard time getting on the elliptical and the kids encourage her, I also am taking her for walks. Unfortunately, many people don't have someone around who can do that - and no one can rely on having someone around all the time - so the final objective is certainly to build that inner volition.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, I used to think I would want this, too.

It's much easier if you shift your thinking about it. Rather than banning "bad" foods... simply fit them into your calories. I don't ban myself from anything... I just make sure I try not to go past my limit. But I never tell myself I "can't" have something - that's the second that your defiant inner voice will go FINE, I'LL EAT 50 MORE! Controlling yourself is much more satisfying than being resentful towards someone else doing it for you.

Also, evaluate whether something is worth the calories you're ingesting. It's easier to exercise self-control by sitting back and assessing whether a cookie is worth, say, 300 calories. Sometimes they're 10000% worth it. Sometimes not. It's up to you to decide.