Making your own snack mix - how to figure calories/carbs/sugar numbers?

Options
I have decided to try making my own snack mix rather than buying pre-mixed stuff at the store. I got small bags of dried blueberries, cranberries, dried apricots and a larger bag of cashews. As I was dumping all into one larger bag, I realized that the numbers for each bag wouldn't apply since the mix wouldn't be serving size measurable. Any suggestions as how to measure numbers for now ? for the future?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Either measure the weight or cups of the total mix and determine how much you want a serving to be (for example - you might have 4 cups of the mix total, and want 1/2 a cup to be a serving, so there's 8 servings). Plug everything into the recipe builder here and set the number of servings within the total.
    ETA: obv's it won't be exact since it's a mix, but it will at least give you as good an estimate as you're probably going to get
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Put a bowl on a scale. As you add each of your ingredients, write down (or just keep the bag with all of the nutrition info on it). Once you have all the ingredients in the bowl, determine what you think is a good serving size. Say a serving size is 2oz, and the ingredients all totaled together weigh 24oz, then you'll know that you have 12 servings. Add up the NI of the ingredients and then use that info divided by 12 to get your NI per serving.
  • neafus55
    neafus55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks ! I knew there was an easy, simple way.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on board with the excellent suggestions provided, which is good!

One thing to consider; while you won't get the exact calorie count per serving, you will get a good average, and when you finish the batch, the averages will balance out to match your total. So if you eat the mix over a week, for instance, the calories per day might not be quite right, but at the end of the week it will matter.

One thing that made CICO easier for me was realizing that my body doesn't track calories-per-day so much as it tracks everything, perpetually. Fat is simply the storing of excess calories from before; losing that fat isn't done in a day, or a week. It's done every bite, and over the long-run. This has helped me relax and keep a slow, dedicated approach to losing weight and developing habits that will let me maintain my health.
  • neafus55
    neafus55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wonko221, you are so right! This is something that needs to be approached as over time, not overnight. Portion control is important - that's one thing that stuck with me during a stint 10 years ago with Weight Watchers. Enjoy what you eat, but be aware and mindful of what you are are eating.