Running Cadence

Options
Hi, not a runner, but use a garmin 235 as a fitness tracker.
Did a 5k and my cadence was 80 or 160....Read that best to have a cadence of 90 or 180. What are some ways to improve my cadence?
Thanks!

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner what is your motivation to improve your running cadence?

Think about the rhythm of your steps as you are running, as you begin to focus you'll become more aware of what you can do to speed it up or slow it down. I have a friend who improved his by using paving slabs on the pavement/sidewalk. Smaller slabs, strike on 2, larger slabs strike on 1, not a scientific answer but his running game improved no end.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but, try running with a metronome or to music with the appropriate BPM (if you're running with music make sure you can still hear what's going on around you......I'm not a fan of people running outside with earbuds in)

Having said that, I think there's probably more emphasis put on cadence than there needs to be. If you're employing decent running form (ie short stride, mid foot strike) and your cadence is lower I wouldn't lose too much sleep about it.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you're not a runner, don't sweat it. It's something that comes with practice, and really only matters in 8K's and above, or high mileage training.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I second running with the metronome. If you run with your phone - look for a running cadence app. You can set your goal cadence pace and it will play a tone for you that you can match in your run. Learning proper cadence can help you run further with less effort and injuries. It is natural for most to take elongated strides (slower cadence). Speeding up your cadence forces you to take shorter strides which is less wear on your legs and keeps your center of balance where it should be.
  • RobertM2040
    RobertM2040 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are not a runner what is your motivation to improve your running cadence?

Think about the rhythm of your steps as you are running, as you begin to focus you'll become more aware of what you can do to speed it up or slow it down. I have a friend who improved his by using paving slabs on the pavement/sidewalk. Smaller slabs, strike on 2, larger slabs strike on 1, not a scientific answer but his running game improved no end.

Thanks!!!
    Yeah, would not describe myself as a runner, but I like to do charity 5k's. As I get older, I want to make sure i do as much as possible to avoid injuries...heard that a cadence of 180 can mean a whole lot less impact. want to try to get sub 24 minutes (25:55 this year) for next years run...