A c25k celebration

Options
I was never a runner.

When i was in middle- and high-school, running days was the worst part of gym. I hated it. Now, as i approach 40, i never anticipated being a runner. Most of the years i smoked; all of them i was overweight. Running wasn't on the agenda, and i frankly never understood it.

A couple months ago, i agreed to run a 5k with some friends. A month ago, i decided to quit procrastinating and look at a c25k program. By dumb luck, i landed on zen labs' android app.

Week 1 Day 1 was tough. Some days were tougher than others; none have been easy. But i have stuck to the program, and this morning i completed Week 4 Day 1; due to missing some cues to run/walk, i ran about 30 seconds over on the first of two 5-minute portions. 5 1/2 minutes of sustained jogging... way more than i have done in over a decade. And then i missed the cue to start jogging for my final 3-minute portion, and walked an extra minute. I decided to make up for it at the end, and extended that 5-minute portion to 6 minutes total. And i survived....

A few things that have gotten me this far:
1. The App - guides me on incremental running at an aggressive but manageable pace. I particularly liked after completing Week 2 Day 3 on schedule, when it informed me that i have now made running a habit. Not sure if that's really all it takes... but I have made it out there every day, as scheduled.
2. Reading the MFP forums and other places, the motivating stories of other people on this same path.
3. Learning about "belly breathing" and other basic tips - like keeping my arms parallel to my body instead of crossing my chest.

On Sunday, a rest day, i woke up early in the morning and looked at myself in the dressing mirror. I had this weird moment where i first realized i wasn't scheduled to go run; and then it dawned on me that my first thought on waking was getting out to run. I then really looked at myself, and thought "holy *kitten*... that guy is a runner. I am a runner!

I've still got a long ways to go to be good at it, but dammit, i am a runner.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I started with C25k last year and have only gotten stronger from there- it has become an addiction. Keep up the awesome work! :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love the mental health benefits of running.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yay! That is so awesome! You ARE a runner! I used to run here and there when I was younger, but never fast, and never very consistent. I recently started running consistently about 4 months ago. Last week I had a dream that I was running the most perfect run. I swear it felt better than flying (ok, never actually had a flying dream). Then this week when I did my long run, it felt like that dream. It was a great run. My personal best. Even the hills had no power over me. Once running becomes a habit, you've made it. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go compared to others, because runners are pretty much happy to strive to improve themselves. It really is addicting. I have a long way to go too...but the road is wide open....which is AWESOME.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »
    Yay! That is so awesome! You ARE a runner! I used to run here and there when I was younger, but never fast, and never very consistent. I recently started running consistently about 4 months ago. Last week I had a dream that I was running the most perfect run. I swear it felt better than flying (ok, never actually had a flying dream). Then this week when I did my long run, it felt like that dream. It was a great run. My personal best. Even the hills had no power over me. Once running becomes a habit, you've made it. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go compared to others, because runners are pretty much happy to strive to improve themselves. It really is addicting. I have a long way to go too...but the road is wide open....which is AWESOME.

That is AWESOME and inspiring. thank you! One day i shall join you among the clouds, flying across the terrain.

it really is incredible to have this whole new world opening up.
  • wonko221
    Options
    Congratulations! I started with C25k last year and have only gotten stronger from there- it has become an addiction. Keep up the awesome work! :)

thanks! I got into this rather pessimistic. but the last few runs, instead of just feeling wiped out, i end up feeling.. proud. energized. happy. and looking forward.

Congratulations to you, too, runner!
  • wonko221
    Options
    Congrats! I love the mental health benefits of running.

I always thought runners were crazy. but i'm definitely feeling the benefits myself, even this early in. All that time for calm, quite reflection, now that i've gotten through the "huff and puff" phase of running badly. i can see that this will be my way to find some "me time" in the future.
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Wonko221
    Congratulations and I share your sentiments as I completed W4 D2 today. I love saying I'm a runner as well and looking forward to my first 5K. I used to run when I was younger and it feels amazing starting again.
    Well done! :)
  • wonko221
    Options
    sueann10 wrote: »
    Hey Wonko221
    Congratulations and I share your sentiments as I completed W4 D2 today. I love saying I'm a runner as well and looking forward to my first 5K. I used to run when I was younger and it feels amazing starting again.
    Well done! :)

Thanks, Sueann10, and congratulations to you, too!

Tomorrow is my W4D2, and i'm looking forward to it. (the me of five weeks ago wouldn't believe that!)

Enjoy that 5k, and the kilometers beyond!